Coughing up a lung!

Holy s***, this cold/s***s/chest cold thing is STILL bugging me! And no, I won't go to the DR as they'll just tell me to rest, drink lots of fluids and sleep.

The past 3 mornings, (today was bad, yuk!) I've been coughing up stuff which I've never seen before. WTF and how much mucus can one cough up in a span of 10 minutes? Yeah, sorry for those who have weak stomaches! But still! WTF!

This maybe should be in the rant section but it's my health problem right now.

I can't take regular cough meds cuz of the amount of sugar and alcohol give me migraines. What can I do to lessen the coughing without taking cough meds?

PAGING DR ALPHA! :laugh:

If you're coughing up green, you could be getting bronchitis. If it's any sort of red, SEE THE DOCTOR!!! It could be pneumonia or a serious infection.

What can I do to lessen the coughing without taking cough meds?

I used to find the very best cough medicine was Benelyn with codeine. I finally asked my doc what's with the codeine. Turns out codeine is an anti-spasmodic.

Thing is, if you're coughing up gunk, you need to get it out so don't take the codeine. Take decongestants and/or antihistamines. And drink tons and tons of liquid to help you clear the junk out (a doctor once told me 'drink plenty of fluids' meant 8 oz an hour!). When the cough dries up, then take the codeine to shut it off.

What can I do to lessen the coughing without taking cough meds?

Nothing....you may want to go to the Dr. to get some antibiotics so that you don't get a nasty secondary infection and die :laugh:

Don't you have socialized health care in Canada? Use it!

This reminds me of my ex-wife who was from Toronto. When we got married and she moved to Detroit she would run off to see the Dr. even if she got a hang nail. Then I remembered she was from Canada and thats what people there do cause its free (after the nasty taxes)

slubberdegullion

Oh, fercryinoutloud man, GO SEE A DOC. Exactly the same thing happened to me about a year ago, and my upper respiratory infection (aka a cold) developed into pneumonia and eventually pluresy (sp?). Now my lungs are permanently scarred and I catch cold at the drop of a hat.

Drop the hero stuff. Go see a doc. That's why they're there.

• Author
Drop the hero stuff. Go see a doc. That's why they're there.

:lmao:

It's not green, it's brown. (Green eggs and ham just popped into my head)

I've had this before, it's definately not bronc. I don't cough throughout the day, just in the morning.

I know if I feel worse I will see the DR. My husband will make me go.

Alpha, you now have to knock on WOOD 2 times. Do it, k.

Nothing....you may want to go to the Dr. to get some antibiotics so that you don't get a nasty secondary infection and die

Alpha, you should know better than that. You don't get antibiotics for colds.

WWIU, if it's brown, that means there's blood and possibly something serious. Get off your a$$ and get to the doctor STAT.

do you smoke....anything? if so lay off for awhile.

look in the natural remedies section for an Expactorant.....that helps to loosen phlegm. make sure you spit your loogies out.

it could also be allergies....currently i am really phlegmmy in the morning, after i wake up, but after an hour or so i am ok.

try a decongestant and for gawds sake...Blow your nose!

• Author

Well, there is no way I'm going to the walk inclinic, so I called a number where the DR comes to see you. Yeah, he said between 6pm and 1am. Better than nothing.

I feel really crappy. Took two sinus tylenol and I'm going to try to sleep abit. I hate being sick and alone in the house. Doesn' do the anxiety much good either.

God, I suck! (shhh to those with dirty minds...) I just wanna curl up and never wake up again...Doesn't help that my frame of mind is not good either. Double suck!

Thanks for the tough love everybody. I am the worst patient when I'm sick. :(

Oh and I won't smoke anymore today. The thought of it makes me wanna :sick: anyway and I know it makes it worse...Though it does help cough up the crap inside.

I just went to the Doc yesterday after missing a couple days of work, which I hate. But I had the same thing. Thankfully mine is 100% allergies and he told me to take Clairtin D and prescribed some migraine meds for my mellon. I was having terrible headaches and couldn't stand light, sound, smell anything but today I'm back at work and feel 100% better.

Let us know what your doc tells ya...but for now don't smoke, drink LOTSSSSSS of clear liquids, get some chicken noodle soup and lots of rest.

Alpha, you should know better than that. You don't get antibiotics for colds..

what bullkrap are you spewing OUTCAST? antiobiotics are prescribed to prevent SECONDARY infections, not the primary infection caused by a virus (cold, flu, etc...). See OUTCAST....what you are grossly unaware of is that the primary viral infection causes the immune system to get weak which makes a bacterial infection more possible. the antibiotics are to treat a possible bacterial infection.

my dad is a physican and my brother is aphysician and i grew up areound doctors my whole life.

I go to the doctor only if I am seriously sick. 4 weeks ago i went in cause my glands in my throat were so swollen I could hardly breath let alone swollow. Turned out I had Tonsilitis. WTF.. I've never had Tonsilititis in my life. She put me on a good antibiotic for Strep, Tonsilitits whatever. It knocked it out in 3 days. (but I finished the 10 days of pills--yuck...)

Normally I do the Vitamin C, Zinc, Echinacia. Call my herbalist and ask what can I do.

The further away I am from Western Medicine the safer I feel. My Chiropractor and my Herbalist are my first choice unless I know its serious--they will send me to him anyway if its bad enough..

I dad now has MRSA from doctors pumping him full of antibiotics to stop secondary infections. Now no antibiotics work for him..

DON'T TAKE ANTIBIOTICS UNLESS YOU ALREADY HAVE THE BACTERIAL INFECTION IN YOUR BODY....

If you dont know what MRSA is then do a search on it. IT WILL scare the SH*T out of you........

Take care of yourself first, if you start to get sick find a all natural alternative method that is natural not chemical....

:bunny: * Just my advice..

You don't get antibiotics for colds.

No, But they will for upper respiratory infections, and if hat is what you have it will not go away on it's own. It may lighten up a little and you think you are getting better, but the nagging cough and coughing up mucas, will linger on until you get meds for it.

the drug companies pay off the doctors to promote their drugs. the doctors get huge incentives to push the drug companies products. Some doctors buy into the sales mens tactics and manipulation about how wonderful there drug is and others only go along for the incentives and benefits there clinic or hospital can get. Sorry just what I found out from my own research and heard a few Doctors and Nurses speak about how messed up Western Medicine is and they are actually killing more people then helping them..

(I am only speaking out of hear-say and witness. I cannot argue this subject because I dont have the ability. I am speaking out of my formed opinion. No offense. Doctors, Nurses and the medical field has their place but I think it is abused and pushed.)

Take care of yourself WhichWay. Do as the Doc tells you and you might want to seriously think of quitting smoking.:love:

Just my 2 cents.

Lots of :love:

Jay

the drug companies pay off the doctors to promote their drugs. the doctors get huge incentives to push the drug companies products. Some doctors buy into the sales mens tactics and manipulation about how wonderful there drug is and others only go along for the incentives and benefits there clinic or hospital can get. Sorry just what I found out from my own research and heard a few Doctors and Nurses speak about how messed up Western Medicine is and they are actually killing more people then helping them..

well yes that is partially true but you know that everyone needs to eat and make a living here... in the end many more patients are helped by the drugs than are hurt by them...the system is dysfunctional but we still have one of the best health care systems in the world

(I am only speaking out of hear-say and witness. I cannot argue this subject because I dont have the ability. I am speaking out of my formed opinion. No offense. Doctors, Nurses and the medical field has their place but I think it is abused and pushed.)

The same can be said about chiropractic medicine as well.. They want to make a client for life and are taught this in school.

The amount of money the drug companies have is far greater than the chiropractic industry but they do parallell each other.

And as far as herbalists they are pushing their own set of remedies and drugs.. same difference

The same can be said about chiropractic medicine as well..

And as far as herbalists they are pushing their own set of remedies and drugs.. same difference

like I said A_C...everyone's gotta eat :laugh:

• Author
Take care of yourself WhichWay. Do as the Doc tells you and you might want to seriously think of quitting smoking.:love:

Just my 2 cents.

Lots of :love:

Jay

Thanks and :love: right back at ya.

I know I need to quit this gross habit. I haven't smoked a cig this afternoon, well, I've been sleeping for past 2 hours. Damn phone keeps waking me up so now I'm up for abit.

what bullkrap are you spewing OUTCAST? antiobiotics are prescribed to prevent SECONDARY infections, not the primary infection caused by a virus (cold, flu, etc...). See OUTCAST....what you are grossly unaware of is that the primary viral infection causes the immune system to get weak which makes a bacterial infection more possible. the antibiotics are to treat a possible bacterial infection.

my dad is a physican and my brother is aphysician and i grew up areound doctors my whole life.

I don't care if your father is God and your brother is Christ Himself. The overuse of antibiotics (including the overprescription BY PHYSICIANS) is the reason there are superbugs. They are supposed to be prescribed to CURE INFECTIONS, not as a preventative measure except possibly when a person's immunity is severely compromised. And don't make me go get the info from Harvard, etd. With all due respect, your dad graduated a long time ago. They've found out a lot about medicine since then and he may not have done any CMEs on antibiotic overuse.

I don't care if your father is God and your brother is Christ Himself. The overuse of antibiotics (including the overprescription BY PHYSICIANS) is the reason there are superbugs. They are supposed to be prescribed to CURE INFECTIONS, not as a preventative measure except possibly when a person's immunity is severely compromised. And don't make me go get the info from Harvard, etd. With all due respect, your dad graduated a long time ago. They've found out a lot about medicine since then and he may not have done any CMEs on antibiotic overuse.

ahhh...you're just mad cause you got burned OUTCAST :lmao:

• Author

Hey, the boys are fighting on my thread! :love: it! :laugh:

So, the DR put my Bioxin (I'm allergic to pencillian) and a nose spray too. Flo something (Florentine? The bottle is downstairs and I'm too lazy to go look.)

My cold turned into something more. Secondary infection...

Gotta agree with Alpha, superbugs are the result of overusing antibotics. Dr's here used to write it for anything, was so easy. Now-a-days, it's so hard to get them.

RecordProducer

I use herbal syrups for my kids and me for caugh relief and elimination of mucus. My dear doctor that got retired (:( ) told me that when the secretion from your lungs or nose is green or yellow - it's bacterial infection. If it's no colored - it's a virus. Most infections start with no color (the virus attacks) then turn into green as bacteria attacks the body that is weakened by the viral infection.

It will probably go away anyway, but if you don't get any better in about 5-6 days after day one, then you probably need a doctor. Hot showers are good. You can also inhale sweet basil tea (you put it in a pot of boiled water, leave it for 10 min then breathe the steam that comes out of it with a towel on your head). I've heard these things from my doctor many times. :D

Don't use nasal drops for more than 3 days, eat soup and drink tea.

Aren't I a good doctor? :cool:

It's true that the body is able to fight and cure the infection without help from aside. I stopped taking antibitocs except when I feel really, really bad. They shouldn't be taken just like that, but sometimes are necessary to prevent pneumonia or if the infection is spreading faster than the body can cure it.