school and work is it possible?

calithin83

Hello

I was wondering if you think its possible to take 5 classes at a university and manage a full-time job to live out of home.

I dont want to live at home for this semester because my parents annoy me so i want to go to school, work from 5-1am and pay rent once a month about 500..but people keep telling me this is a bad idea and to stay at home.

But if i stay at home i have to deal with my parents expecting me home at a certain time and not having fun at the weekends because of a curfew and drive to school for 1 hour when traffic and 45min. w/out traffic..any suggestions?????

are you already in school, or are you just starting college? If you cannot afford to live on campus for at least your freshman year, I'd highly recommend staying with your parents even if you don't like the idea of having to put up with their rules. Why? because starting college is like nothing you've ever done before and you don't need the stress of trying to learn how to live on your own on top of learning how to transition from high school to college life.

if you're further along and have a good sense of priorities (finances, expectations, etc), it shouldn't be too hard to go to school full time and work full time, but don't expect to be a party animal because you're time will be easily spent working or schooling. You also need to take a good look at what kind of jobs that are available and what living costs are to live off campus but away from home. Also look into finding a roommate or three to help you split rent. It took two of us to come up with the $550-plus monthly rent, and this was in a small South Texas town in the late 1980s (that amount didn't include utilities, groceries, car repair or gas costs, just the rent alone).

also look into financial aid and scholarships to help you cover tuition costs so that you can focus on studying and not have to worry so much about working a full-time job to make ends meet.

Hi calithin83

Once apon a time I worked full time and went to school full time (5 classes as well). For me it was very difficult, but I managed. You say 500 a month? Thats incredible. I had to pay rent while going through school and living at home but it wasn't that much. You don't like the rules and you pay 500? Have you considered finding a friend and go in on an apartment? If you can afford 500 to stay at home, you shouldn't have a problem having an apartment, especially if you were to have a roomate. You can work, go to school and not have to deal with your parents.

laRubiaBonita

i quickly burnt out, when i worked two jobs, and went to school.

i life guarded at the colleges pool, starting at 4:30, then had class at 8:45 - 3:00, then worked my retail job 4:00 to close (9:30 or later).

not that with the right, driven person, it cannot happen...but i am definatly a quick fix, need-the-money-not-tuition-and-book-cost-person. So yeah, i quit going to school at the end of the semester..... i did pass all my classes, but not with out some sweet talking to my professors!

so if you, CALITHIN83, can do it.... MORE POWER TO YOU! :cool::D

I have been attending a community college. I could work full-time to afford my own apartment, but balancing a full-time job with car insurance payments, rent, utilities, other bills, and classes five days a week just seems too stressful for me. Instead, I live with my father, and work part time. I am putting my education first, and if that means that I must live with my father, whom I don't have the best of relationships with, then I will do it.

If you are living with your parents, you must respect that you live in their home, and that they are going to have certain rules that you must abide by. I am twenty-three, and took a while to get my act together. I am allowed more freedom than you might be living with your parents, but don't let this discourage you. Decide what is best for you. Personally, I have found that working more than 15 hours a week part time had detrimental effects on my academic performance, and decided it would be best to work less, and attend school more often.

If you live with your parents, you have the security of a home, most likely not having to pay rent, most of your bills, or possibly even your car insurance. Maybe making a list of pros and cons will help you decide. Sometimes it is better to take the harder path, but it might be more practical to stay where you are, and deal with your family. Put your school first, like I do, and most of the familial problems will seem insignificant when compared to the paper that is due the next week.

If you think you'll have time to party and have fun on the weekends with working AND taking 5 full credits, you are crazy.

I am a full time student who will be taking 5 classes this coming Fall and I work a 9-5 job. I have to pay rent, which is not cheap!!! I pay approximately $825 plus bills, etc.

I am not going to lie, it gets hard at times but I manage. This next quarter I am going to take some online classes which I am assuming it will make it a bit easier, at least that is what I hope :( If you really want to you can do it.

laRubiaBonita
Originally posted by ~Naive~

If you really want to you can do it.

you forgot the Inspirational Smilies :D:bunny::D:bunny::D:bunny:!!

• Author
calithin83

Hey guys, well I'm going to be a senior so i would have to take 5 classes for Fall, 2 for winter and 5 for spring to graduate. I dont want to live at home because my parents annoy me and i have to always be home at a set time, and on weekends my curfew is 11-12, and either way its like they get mad if i go out..

Also i feel more at ease when im not at home.

I know its going to be hard but i think its worth the sacrifice, ive seen that there are rooms for $450 so maybe that be good...We'll see...

thanks though for posting and keep posting if any suggestions!

if you're that far along in your studies, it actually might be beneficial to move closer to the campus to focus on school. Again, seriously consider financial aid and getting into student housing, it'd save a big headache because that can be paid for by semester, instead of having to scrape up rent. And, you're just reponsible for the space you let out, don't have to worry about renter's crap/issues! :D