Bipolar Disorder and Relationships

InductedHades

So, I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder when I was 20, 12 years ago. So I was wondering if anyone here is also Bipolar would have any tips or anything like that when dealing with relationships. As you know, it's not always easy to deal with it.

Inducted, do you have BP-1 or BP-2? My experience is with BP-1 because I've taken care of my BP-1 foster son for 35 years. Your primary objectives should be to stay on your medications and, when your body starts acclimating to them over time, endure the messy process of spending many months finding a new medication level -- or a new medication -- that will achieve the same benefits in regulating your body chemistry.

Moreover, please keep in mind that the lay public generally has the mistaken notion that bipolar sufferers have strong anger issues and thus are very abusive. This misconception arises from the strong association between bipolar and BPD (Borderline PD) -- a personality disorder that is characterized by strong anger issues and irrational jealousy.

I mention this because a recent study of 35,000 American adults found that 50% of adults exhibiting BP-1 over the past year also have full-blown BPD. It also found that 40% of adults exhibiting BP-2 have full-blown BPD. See Table 2 at 2008 Study in JCP.

The result of this strong association of two very different disorders is that the lay public mistakenly attributes strong anger issues (e.g., physical abuse and event-triggered temper tantrums) to the bipolar disorder.

• Author
InductedHades

I'm actually a mixture of BP 1 and BP 2.

Majority of people don't know I'm Bipolar, unless I tell them. They are quite shocked. As i try to be happy as possible with the biggest smile you ever seen. But what they don't know, is the pain deep down inside. Lots of people accept me for who I am once I tell them I'm Bipolar. But on the other hand, there's people who disown me when I tell. And these are usually people I've known for years. People that do accept me, are people who I've known for less than 2 years. As I said, it's not always easy to deal with. As you also know.

Welcome to LS......

Since you've been long professionally diagnosed, and LoveShack occasionally has threads running on 'would you date a person with bi-polar disease' and similar, what advice would you offer to people who happen to encounter such a person and find them attractive and are interested in dating them?

Perhaps your discussion can assist others who aren't as 'out there' with their disease process, as well as potential partners.

I'd echo Downtown's advice as well as to look at tools a professional psychologist can provide to both cope with the disease process itself as well as interpersonal interactions that trend to personality, socialization and FOO (family of origin) dynamics. Bi-polar is a chemistry issue. Science. Interpersonal relationships involve all facets of the human, science and the more arcane nuances of psychology. What's been your experience with that?

I'm actually a mixture of BP 1 and BP 2.

Majority of people don't know I'm Bipolar, unless I tell them. They are quite shocked. As i try to be happy as possible with the biggest smile you ever seen. But what they don't know, is the pain deep down inside. Lots of people accept me for who I am once I tell them I'm Bipolar. But on the other hand, there's people who disown me when I tell. And these are usually people I've known for years. People that do accept me, are people who I've known for less than 2 years. As I said, it's not always easy to deal with. As you also know.

I say good riddance to those who don't support you. It means they don't want to understand BP and mental illness and probably weren't your true friend to begin with. Real friends don't bail out like that.

Alphamale is right, do counseling and meds.

• Like 1
  • Author
InductedHades
I say good riddance to those who don't support you. It means they don't want to understand BP and mental illness and probably weren't your true friend to begin with. Real friends don't bail out like that.

Alphamale is right, do counseling and meds.

I don't get much counseling anymore, as it hasn't really helped much over the over the past few years. I still do once a once month. As for meds, been on them since i've been diagnosed.