LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

30day inpatient program for clinical depression?


Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree15Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:55 PM   #16
Established Member
 
Jdoublenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicHusband View Post
You're in the right place here. People on this board know what they're talking about. I'm new obviously, but I am going thru a hard time myself with my wife leaving and the one thing I can honestly say hasn't even been a QUESTION is stopping the substances. (I smoked weed every day, drank occasionally).

I decided when she left, I didn't want to be stuck for 6 months. I didn't want to get bitten in the ass by negative thoughts a year later. So I stopped and just let myself feel my feelings, work it out clear-headed. It made a vast difference.
I feel you totally. Alcohol is annoying because sometimes it feels like it helps! I stop stressing and I just have FUN. For a while the drunk-sad-me didn't come around at the end of the night, so it was fine. But now that drunk-sadness is back as well as the seemingly random suicidal thoughts, its scary. I have no control over my emotions when i'm drunk obviously they feel SO strong. It'll be best for me to chill for a while and get myself together. Then work on controlling the stopping point so I don't find it fun to just get hammered. The bad part is I enjoy that 'me' LOL
Jdoublenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 7:22 PM   #17
Established Member
 
divegrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 461
Iím glad you are aware of the harmful side effects of benzodiazepines. They are really very powerful. Have you seen the thread about insomnia in this same forum? It is filled with non drug coping techniques for sleep.

Just a note, you can become addicted to benzos after only 2 weeks of regular use. When you go to your 30 day inpatient program, I would have them taper you off Xanax. Withdrawal must be physician supervised as there is a risk of seizures.

Good luck my friend.
__________________
Our purpose in life is to help others; if we canít help them at least donít hurt them.
divegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2018, 1:02 AM   #18
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 57,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoublenn View Post
I feel you totally. Alcohol is annoying because sometimes it feels like it helps! I stop stressing and I just have FUN. For a while the drunk-sad-me didn't come around at the end of the night, so it was fine. But now that drunk-sadness is back as well as the seemingly random suicidal thoughts, its scary. I have no control over my emotions when i'm drunk obviously they feel SO strong. It'll be best for me to chill for a while and get myself together. Then work on controlling the stopping point so I don't find it fun to just get hammered. The bad part is I enjoy that 'me' LOL
Booze and drugs magnify your issues and as you know don't help in the long run. Fact that you say this (bolded part) means you may not be able to handle alcohol anymore, it's damaging you. Hitting the gym is a great idea, fill in new and healthier habits with old ones that are not helpful in your life.

Do you do yoga? If not, do so! It helps mentally, physically and emotionally.
whichwayisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2018, 10:46 PM   #19
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 8
I'm so sorry your going through this, but I commend you on telling someone right away. Sounds like you have a good support system which will help you a lot. I would recommend talking to your counselor about it and anything else you haven't told him about your depression in the past. You may be able to work through this with your counselor and not being in an inpatient program. But you'll know if you need more, so just be real with yourself and your family. Keep hope.
NHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 4:01 AM   #20
Established Member
 
Jdoublenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by divegrl View Post
Iím glad you are aware of the harmful side effects of benzodiazepines. They are really very powerful. Have you seen the thread about insomnia in this same forum? It is filled with non drug coping techniques for sleep.

Just a note, you can become addicted to benzos after only 2 weeks of regular use. When you go to your 30 day inpatient program, I would have them taper you off Xanax. Withdrawal must be physician supervised as there is a risk of seizures.

Good luck my friend.
Theres no dependency for myself on the Xanax, and yes, I have tested and proven to myself time and time again because I am aware of the extremities of the drug. I've had the prescription for about 6 years as stated previously, however I have not always taken it constantly... In fact, just a year and a half ago I went from 4-5 days to 0 with no complications after reading a scary article and hearing followup from a doctor stating studies were [now] linking Benzos to Alzheimers. I didn't take it at all for nearly several months.

I started taking it more often again recently, as my {new} doctor switched me to a different sleeping pill that isn't working even half as well as my last . Also I dealt with extreme anxiety at the end of 2017 and it helped me through that. Im very aware of the effects, but I appreciate your worry. I stay extremely up to date on any/all medications I take.

I do not believe, after speaking with my psychologist, that an inpatient program will be necessary in my case. Rather would set me back mentally, in that I will have gotten behind on life once again. Ill post a full update soon.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NHope View Post
I'm so sorry your going through this, but I commend you on telling someone right away. Sounds like you have a good support system which will help you a lot. I would recommend talking to your counselor about it and anything else you haven't told him about your depression in the past. You may be able to work through this with your counselor and not being in an inpatient program. But you'll know if you need more, so just be real with yourself and your family. Keep hope.
Yes! he has all my past info because I ended up going to the same office my last therapist was at. So he has all of her previous notes! I told him I struggled at the end of 2017 quite a bit but felt a lot better by the time I had finally gotten in to see him. (nearly 3 month wait)
Jdoublenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 4:09 AM   #21
Established Member
 
Jdoublenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 245
UPDATE:

I had a great appt with my therapist today. We ruled out possible bipolar disorder as well as set up a game plan on things to work on in the coming weeks/months.

He believes that my incident was a combination of things, but likely me hitting the end of my rope emotionally. After the last few months of stress, frustration, difficulty, I may just be exhausted all the way around. Obviously im going to start to work on my alcohol use as a coping mechanism, and look for other things to try and help my 'release' my stressors. Also a huge issue I need to figure out/handle is how much control I let men have of my emotions. Ive always wanted a family more than anything.. And as its always been an issue, its frustrating now that Ive been in my first real, long term relationship. Almost like I feel like I need to rush so much faster to find someone now. Thus, when I find a guy I like(its rare), I tend to let my emotions 100% depend on the "relationship" and how its going.

I set an appt with a psychiatrist for June. Thats the soonest I can get in with my insurance but at least I have the date and a game plan of sorts. Im going to keep seeing my therapist weekly too of course!
Jdoublenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clinical depression ex-GF CazK88 Abuse 2 21st July 2013 3:36 PM
Clinical depression + breakup of an ltr maryelle Coping 2 18th June 2012 11:54 AM
SO in detox and inpatient program, im lost now outofthedark Addiction & Recovery 1 21st February 2010 9:17 PM
Clinical Depression and how to go about handling it...? leopardprint Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being 14 14th November 2006 7:25 AM
Clinical Depression w/o sadness? Evanescence Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being 7 29th June 2006 11:36 AM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 3:35 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.