LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

He is convinced I'll be morbidly obese?

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By amaysngrace
  • 1 Post By Happy Lemming
  • 1 Post By basil67

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2018, 9:23 PM   #1
Established Member

He is convinced I'll be morbidly obese?

For the last 10 or so years, my dad has been very observant about my weight. Funny enough though I am 5 ft 4 in/5 in and weigh 133 pounds, flat stomach and the guys I've dated loved my body. IDK what he gains saying this to, but often enough he will make a ridiculous statement that one day I will be morbidly obese. I try extremely hard not to pay attention, but deep down it bothers me quite a bit. I love him and a lot of stuff he has helped me w/, but over the years I've noticed a bit of unnecessary things. Why does he do this?
I'veseenbetterlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 9:32 PM   #2
Established Member

Did you ever ask him why he says that? You probably should.
Old 22nd January 2018, 9:36 PM   #3
Established Member

Is your father at the age where senility could be setting in??
Old 22nd January 2018, 9:39 PM   #4
Established Member

Is he projecting? Did he go from slim to morbidly obese?
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 9:39 PM   #5
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil67 View Post
Is he projecting? Did he go from slim to morbidly obese?
Nope not at all.
Old 22nd January 2018, 9:42 PM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lemming View Post
Is your father at the age where senility could be setting in??
No that definitely isn't the case here. Honestly I think he enjoys criticizing me.
Old 22nd January 2018, 9:50 PM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'veseenbetterlol View Post
No that definitely isn't the case here. Honestly I think he enjoys criticizing me.
I'm sorry you are going through this...

Personally, my mother would say similar things to me (not about weight) but things she knew would upset and hurt me, so I severed ties 10 years ago.

If your father seems to take joy in upsetting you, then you might have to do the same thing I did.

I refuse to have people put me down and upset me, even if they are family.
Happy Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 9:55 PM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
For the last 10 or so years, my dad has been very observant about my weight. Funny enough though I am 5 ft 4 in/5 in and weigh 133 pounds, flat stomach
As far as weight and diet, the only person I'll listen to is my doctor.

If he is OK with my weight, cholesterol, sugar, etc.; then I'm fine.
Happy Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 9:00 PM   #9
Established Member

I am sorry...this is not right. Whatever is underlying this, you should not have to tolerate it indefinitely. I would hold a firm line with what you just said, that you feel your doctor is the best person to advise you on this, and change the subject.

If he keeps pushing it, and is not willing to change the subject, then it is time to cut the phone conversation short, or run that errand that you had to do, or just leave if it seems that it is some sort of control thing. I had an anorexic aunt that would try to rope me into conversations like this; it called for firm boundaries.
LurkerXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2018, 10:00 PM   #10
Established Member

Quote:
...Why does he do this?
I would stop responding/reacting.

If you are concerned, keep an eye on your weight. It's good to stay on top of these things. Also, it seems like there's more to it. Maybe something you're not saying. idk, some habit he might notice that we don't.
StoicHusband is offline   Reply With Quote