The right time to move to another city?

fireflyingaway

I feel like I am at a series of dead ends.

I'm almost 27. Single. My job is decent, but it's dead end. No opportunity for a promotion or no ladder to climb. I live in South Florida and I don't see myself ever buying property here or staying much longer. It's too expensive and the cost of living is so high.

My lease at my apartment is up in early May.

I am thinking about making a move to a new city. I have lived in this county almost all my life. My family is here and I know nothing else, but I've always wondered what it would be like to live in another state.

However, the thought of moving somewhere new alone is daunting, but exciting. I keep thinking now would be a good time to make a move. I'm not tied down, but the unknown is so scary. I'd like to go a place filled with new opportunities and new people.

I have a city in mind and I going to spend the weekend there in a few weeks. I traveled there once in the summer with my family, but I want to see what it feels like during winter. I'm a Floridian, I have no idea how winter really works...lol. So I thought it would be smart to go now, get a feel and then make a decision.

This is a place I've thought about living almost all my life. I've always wondered what it would be like to actually live there.

Has anyone ever made the jump to go somewhere completely new? How was it?

• Like 1
Happy Lemming

I've been fairly nomadic all of my life.

My theory is you can't just visit a new place you have to live there and immerse yourself in it.

My last move was to the Sunny Southwest. I (early) retired 13 days ago and think I will plant roots now. I'll still travel and see the sights in different states, but I think my life long wanderlust is finally satisfied. It's been a GREAT ride.

I've always traveled alone. It may seem daunting, but its really not. U-Haul has been there for me though out the years. I also used AAA trip tix to assist me in the best route. Nowadays, you can just use GPS. I did purchase a real good road atlas. You should also have a little money saved up. Most problems that arise can usually be fixed by throwing money at them. I've tried to do prior research on apartments and the best area to live before I left. Be wary of snow/ice areas if you are pulling a trailer.

It is so refreshing to be in a new place and know you were brave enough to pull up stakes and just leave. Nothing to fear, just do your research. Some cities have a "crime map" showing what parts of that city have reported high felony crime rates. Sometimes there are little pocket areas with high crime. Try to get that information and avoid those "pockets".

I wouldn't purchase real estate for at least a year. Make sure you know you want to live in a place at least 2 years, before you purchase a home. That is usually enough time to recoup settlement costs on a house.

Does this new city have enough industry for you to find work in your field??

Edited by Happy Lemming
  • Like 1

I moved to North Florida from Boston almost 3 years ago now, with no job or housing lined up, and it was one of the best choices I've made in my life. Always dreamed about living down here since I was a kid and can't imagine what it would be like if I hadn't. What a waste.

In fact I'm watching someone in a tank top / pajama bottoms make breakfast for the kids right now and life just feels right. :)

• Like 1

I think you are going about it the right way. . . testing the waters to see if you like it, especially in winter.

Personally I would not undertake such a move with a job waiting for me on the other end. I tried to move across country when I was younger. I would go to the destination for a week / 2 weeks at a time & have interviews lined up. The month before when I sent out my resume (before on line), my cover letter would let HR know I was going to be in the area during the certain weeks. I always had at least 2 interviews per week day set up.

If you are going to move without a waiting job, I'd have at least 6 months of living expenses available on top of moving costs. Then I'd take whatever I could get initially even fast food just to have an income.

Also have a strategy for making friends. Check out whether there are organizations you can join near where you are going to live, like alumni associations etc. Go to Meet Ups that interest you. Volunteer somewhere, especially if you will initially be unemployed so you can network. Consider having an open house / block party & inviting your new neighbors over to meet them when you 1st get settled. They may not become your new BFFs because of age, culture or lifestyle but at least you can identify faces & say hi.

• Author
fireflyingaway

Thanks for the replies!

I am planning on going to a city where there is a major university.

I work in the real estate field law field, so I feel I could find a job almost anywhere, but I'd be satisfied getting some sort of office job to tied me over.

I am excited to see how my trip goes, its the closest I can get to "immersing' myself. Don't have the time or the means to really just pick up and go at the moment.

This will be the first time traveling a full weekend alone, so wish me luck :)

Good luck.

Do take the opportunity to look into the local market so you can get a sense if you can get a job in your field.

I would strongly encourage you to go for it! I have moved many times; and there has not been one single regret. You will learn new things, meet different people, experience different cultures. You will grow immensely!

Good luck my friend. ?

I would strongly encourage you to go for it! I have moved many times; and there has not been one single regret. You will learn new things, meet different people, experience different cultures. You will grow immensely!

Good luck my friend. ?

I have ties in this city so I can't move but I'd like to. If you can and nothing but what if is stopping you then go for it. You have one life and its best that you live it. I hate the city I live in, it's too small fo my liking. I also want more easy access to Toronto since I love the city. Mind you I'd never live in Toronto because it's too expensive to live in a decent area.