LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

How Do I Answer Questions About Wearing Non-Prescription Glasses

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2018, 11:19 PM   #1
Established Member

How Do I Answer Questions About Wearing Non-Prescription Glasses

Before anyone judges me for deciding to wear non-prescription glasses, I want to say a few things:

- I have a large, wide, crooked and bumpy nose that gets worse with age

- I have struggled with self-esteem issues over my nose for the last 15 years

- I can't afford the $10,000 rhinoplasty right now to correct it

That being said, I discovered that wearing the right size of solid frames significantly changes the appearance of my nose and face, so after thinking about it for a few months, I decided to buy a pair and I look REALLY good in them.

But now a new problem could arise. What do I do if people ask me about my glasses? Why I wear them in some contexts (social situations) and not in others? What my vision prescription level is? None of this has happened yet, but at some point I'm sure it will.

I really don't want to "lie" but I don't exactly want people to start spreading gossip saying, "Oh, did you hear X bought glasses because they're insecure about their nose?"

In any case, I do feel this is a smaller problem to have that shouldn't occur too frequently in comparison to the self-consciousness I feel about my nose.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by TunaInTheBrine; 4th January 2018 at 11:28 PM..
TunaInTheBrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 11:30 PM   #2
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaInTheBrine View Post
Before anyone judges me for deciding to wear non-prescription glasses, I want to say a few things:

- I have a large, wide, crooked and bumpy nose that gets worse with age

- I have struggled with self-esteem issues over my nose for the last 15 years

- I can't afford the $10,000 rhinoplasty right now to correct it

That being said, I discovered that wearing the right size of solid frames significantly changes the appearance of my nose and face, so after thinking about it for a few months, I decided to buy a pair and I look REALLY good in them.

But now a new problem could arise. What do I do if people ask me about my glasses? Why I wear them in some contexts (social situations) and not in others? What my vision prescription level is? None of this has happened yet, but at some point I'm sure it will.

I really don't want to "lie" but I don't exactly want people to start spreading gossip saying, "Oh, did you hear X bought glasses because they're insecure about their nose?"

In any case, I do feel this is a smaller problem to have that shouldn't occur too frequently in comparison to the self-consciousness I feel about my nose.

Any suggestions?
Will people not assume that if you are not wearing your glasses, you are wearing contacts?

Nothing wrong with wearing non-prescription glasses. I'm not sure that anyone would really care... Perhaps, you are overthinking this...
BaileyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 11:38 PM   #3

When's the last time you had an eye exam? Maybe you actually need glasses! Problem solved, then.
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 12:16 AM   #4
Established Member

I have been wearing glasses for 45 years and no one every asked me about my prescription level or if they were prescriptions or not. I have never asked anyone about their glasses either so why are you getting these questions?

The problem is like wearing an eye patch when you have nothing wrong with your eye. Like putting your arm in a sling when there is nothing wrong with it. Why don't you get lightly tinted glasses and just tell whomever is asking that your eyes are sensitive to light and you need to filter some of it out.
Old 5th January 2018, 12:17 AM   #5
Established Member

I wore fake glasses all the time. My friend found out there were fake after two years and was surprised to know I didnít need them. When I wasnít wearing them she thought I wore contacts. Lol no one will know unless you tell them
HiCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 1:05 AM   #6
Established Member

Agree with the above. Also, have you looked into fillers for your nose? They can smooth out the appearance of a bumpy nose.
camillalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 1:12 AM   #7
Established Member

I've never seen any of the questions you stated in your OP come up in real life. And if they did you can just tell them your glasses are not prescription. You wear glasses because you like them.

Big effing deal
jay1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 1:20 AM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camillalev View Post
Agree with the above. Also, have you looked into fillers for your nose? They can smooth out the appearance of a bumpy nose.
Yeah, I've looked into that. Fillers can smooth it out, but because of the size of the bump on my nose, my nose would actually look enormous with filler and it's not recommended. For my specific nose type, rhinoplasty is suggested.

It sounds like I am probably over-thinking being questioned about it. I haven't gotten any questions so far, just compliments. I guess I'll be okay then, and if a question does come up, I'll just have to let the person deal with their own reactions to me wearing them for aesthetic purposes. Thanks everyone!
TunaInTheBrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 1:20 AM   #9
Established Member

Been wearing glasses every day for over 22 years and nobody's ever asked.
grays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 9:27 AM   #10

The only time I've ever been asked about glasses is when I'm not wearing glasses. "Do you wear glasses?" "Yeah, I'm supposed to wear them all the time, but I hate wearing them...."
No_Go likes this.
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 6:06 AM   #11
Established Member

Get good quality non prescription glasses and I doubt anyone is going to ask questions about it and they’ll assume you’ll need them. Btw sorry you don’t like your nose . Some flaws can be very attractive
Cookiesandough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 5:08 PM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiesandough View Post
Get good quality non prescription glasses and I doubt anyone is going to ask questions about it and theyíll assume youíll need them. Btw sorry you donít like your nose . Some flaws can be very attractive
I can't imagine someone asking questions about your glasses unless they are your eye doctor

If by some unlucky chance someone does, telling them 'oh I used to wear contacts but switched' kills the conversation.
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2018, 9:31 AM   #13
Established Member

I did this for a long time in graduate school to combat social anxiety. Wearing glasses felt like hiding and, when anxious, I could play with them in order to avert eye contact. It was incredibly helpful.

No one ever asked me about them. The only uncomfortable moment was the first time I decided not to wear them and people began asking about contacts. I had to sort of lie and say I was wearing them, which I regretted but couldn't see a way around.

Eventually, I told a few people the real story and they mostly thought it was funny.

My advice would be to not mention it. Just wear them confidently. People will assume you need them and are wearing contacts otherwise. If someone does mention them, say something non-incriminating like "ugh, sometimes it's just easier to wear my glasses."
stockyoldfrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2018, 7:00 PM   #14
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaInTheBrine View Post
It's unlikely... but so what if they do? You'll be surprised how many people wear non-prescription glasses as a sort of fashion statement. Glasses look incredibly sexy on some people, so if you tried a nice pair of glasses and found you look great, you should go for it!

In high school my eyesight deteriorated to the point I needed glasses. I was very afraid of getting them as I was scared enough of looking like a nerd (I was bullied enough as it was). When I finally got them I had the opposite reaction to what I expected... many people thought I looked better WITH them! Although I wear contacts now, I still wear glasses on the odd occasion when my eyes are dry. On those days I get positive comments about my "new" glasses... that are about 10 years old
snowboy91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2018, 9:47 PM   #15
Established Member

Why wouldnít you tell people you wear them because you like the way they look...?
They donít need more info than that
GoreSP is offline   Reply With Quote