Do you ever feel as though you could be living a much better life?

I'm a 28 year old male living in the UK. Ever since I was my late teens I had a very relaxed approach to life in terms of job and education.Holding a strong belief that one day I would end up in a good job. However this is not the case.

often can't help but feel I should be doing far better in life. Though I'm not entirely sure what that better life is. I often see my friends who are now well off and in jobs they love who have bought their first house.Now I am not jealous of their well off jobs or the fact that they have bought their house. I am more jealous that they have found something they love.

I feel as though I am sleep walking through life. When I know I shouldn't.

So does anyone know the answer? Or does anyone feel the same?

Edited by Sampaterson
A large amount of new roman font came up that made it very difficult to read.

Everybody goes at their own pace. Sure there are some people your age who have accomplished more than you have and there are some who have accomplished less.

The trick is not to compare yourself with others and focus instead on doing what you need to do to achieve your goals.

• Like 1

I feel the same way when I compare myself to my peers.

I am currently working and many of them are in graduate school and such so it feels like it is hard to not compare myself to them.

I read a good book recently that told me not to compare myself to others, but to compare myself from where I have come and how much of a better person I have become.

I feel this way all the time and try to make changes in myself slowly and making my ideal life.

Here are two great youtube channels that help me in figuring out how to achieve my goals.

https://www.youtube.com/user/muchelleb

https://www.youtube.com/user/electrickeye91

Try to figure out what things in life are valuable to you and see where that takes you.

Good luck to you.

You want a better life, you have to work for it . . . 16 hour days, hard work, going above & beyond all the time. Your relaxed approach is what is holding you back. It's an either or proposition: a relaxed approach without the monetary trappings OR work, work, work. You don't get both until much later in life.

• Like 1

I'm 45 and agree with the above. You must work extremly hard when young to land in a good life later, when you feel to tired to work your arse off.

I have a great life, but it was h.ell to get here, lots of white knuckling when young. keep the eyes on a clear goal and take it one step at a time. Do whatever it takes to get there. If it were easy everyone would have an awesome life at 40, but those who relax rarely make it.

• Like 1
  • Author

You are all right when you say you need to work hard to get to where you want to be.

However, I'm not even sure where I want to be in life. I'm not against working hard in life and I know nothing comes easy.

I just can't help but feeling that this is not the life I should be living.

Now I don't mean in a suicidal type of way. I'm certainly not depressed just more dissatisfied with the way my life has turned out.

I think the problem is, that I have a lack of self confidence in making decisions, thus I don't make concrete decisions in my life. Which leads me to wallow in self pity. I know I definitely need to break this cycle and start making definitive decisions in my life so I can improve myself and career.

I went to uni at 30 as a single parent. I worked 3 jobs, including supermarket shelf stacking to fund my MA.

Now I am financially stable.

You need to get out there and find something you can do. Study for it. You need to work your ass off for 5 or 10 years.

The only person who can do it is you. It isn't too late, but if you leave it much longer it will be.

• Like 1

Then make some small decisions. Set up an action plan. Achieve those smaller goals & gain confidence on making the larger decisions.

When I opened my own business out of necessity, I was scared to death. I learned what I could. Make some action plans. Did what I had to do. Lo & behold, 12 years later I'm still in business. Don't let fear stop you. Take a risk & work to achieve your goal

• 2 weeks later...
Nothingtolose

Yep, I feel the exact same way as you. I'm trying to start my own business now, but it's so hard, while working a full time job still. Yet I dont have the option to quit my job to pursue my business until the business is stable and making money, because I have very little savings. Not to mention I'm 33 and want kids, and am now single, just out of a 3 year relationship. Most of my friends are married, with kids, their own house etc. Some days it's extremely hard to stay positive, but what else can we do?

Like you, I have a strong feeling this isn't the life I'm supposed to be living.