What do I want to be when I "grow up"? Animal Lover's HELP!

friskywife

How 'bout a little background info:

I am in my early 30's, assoc. degree in liberal arts from...oh...a few years ago. I never knew what I wanted to do, as a career. I kept thinking something will come along. A couple of years ago, I had an aph...ephaney...a revelation :p

I wanted to do canine rehabilitation, mainly hydro-therapy. I have a golden retriever that I know is goin to have hip issues as she ages was my inspiration. At first, doggie massage for joint, arthritis, post operative, etc. Well, that led to physical therapy and that to throwing the doggie in some water and letting them swimming it out :laugh: !

Well, you have to be a vet tech in order to go through the program. The program is only offered at a college on the other side of the state.

I became a vet tech trainee at a local vet's office, for like $ 5.75 an hour. I continued to wait tables because I was only working 3 days a week there and we would have become very broke very quickly! I HATED that job. The euthanasia, the owners who had pit bulls in backyard dog fights and we had to mend 'em up to fight more, the people who just didn't care about their animals and I couldn't clip the dog's nail for s***, they would just bleed.

Anywho, I became pregnant about 2 mos into the job, stayed until I just couldn't do both jobs anymore and chose to wait tables for shorter hours and more money.

After my son's premature birth (12 weeks) I had to take about a year off from work, now I am back waiting tables. My son is starting a Mommy's day out sort of thing for one day a week soon. I also watch my godson 2 days a week.

So now you know a little me.

I would really like to start back into the process of finding my goal, career wise.

I don't think I could do the whole vet tech/canine hydro-therapy anymore. I kinda sucked at learning the zoology part of it. I never did have a great knack in that dept. when I was in school.

Obviously, grooming is out of the question...

Any ideas...anyone?

Look up Barbara Sher's 'Wishcraft'. It's available online for free if you can't find it in a bookstore.

Secondly, review your life for all you've ever done that you enjoyed greatly, that fulfilled you, that you were skilled at (i.e. three separate lists). Also what draws your attention most? If you read the papers or magazines, what sections do you turn to first? What shows do you love to watch? Do you have other hobbies or have you volunteered in the past and loved what you were doing? What are your values? Are you looking for recognition?Money? Power? The feeling that you are being of service?

Make lists of all the things in your life that fit those qualifications. Then start brainstorming about what sorts of jobs or work may involve the things that come out on top of the lists. Remember that you can start your own business that combines several of them.

Then picture your ideal day. How would you prefer to be spending your time?

Then, like Sher says, brainstorm with everyone you know. Tell them what you've discovered about yourself and let them come up with ideas about what you could do - and, like all brainstorming sessions, only ideas are allowed - not reasons why they won't work.

After doing all that, you'll have a much better idea of what you'll want to do :)