LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

I'm 19 years old and the thought of turning 20 kind of scares me.

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st November 2017, 11:20 AM   #1

I'm 19 years old and the thought of turning 20 kind of scares me.

I'm currently 19 years old and honestly, the thought of being 20 is kind of making me feel anxious. I mean then, I won't be a teenager anymore and as a result, I feel like my youth is kind of over and I won't be able to have certain privileges of being associated with youth. I can't stop worrying about turning 20 and I fear as it gets closer, I will start counting the days and won't be able to enjoy being a teen. How can I deal with this?
NightRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2017, 11:27 AM   #2
Established Member

I do this every time I have a birthday that ends in a zero.

Stop thinking your life is over. You are jus coming into your own. You will have more freedom, more independence & more fun.

Try to focus on the new things you will get to experience.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2017, 11:57 AM   #3
Established Member

Different ages seem to affect different people differently. In most ways 20 is a pretty inconsequential age though. 18, 21 and sometimes 19 are usually the big milestones, where you can buy alcohol, vote, become a legal adult, etc.

The difference between 19 and 20 should be relatively invisible. Most people consider "teenagers" to be only the minors anyway.

You still have many years where society will treat you as a young adult.

Just enjoy your youth while you have it, rather than worrying about when it will end.
GunslingerRoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2017, 8:44 PM   #4
Established Member

Your youth is definitely not over at age 20. As you get older, you’ll realize that your definition of “old” changes. At age 20 you’re still very much in your youth. Sure, you may be losing some privileges but depending on your country you’ll be gaining many fun new privileges in your 20s. Your 20s are a great time to meet new people and experiment. I’m from the US so I didn’t see a big difference between 19 and 20 besides technically not being a teen anymore. My advice would be to go out with your friends and celebrate your birthday. (Happy early birthday by the way)
Gillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2017, 2:54 AM   #5
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRogue View Post
I'm currently 19 years old and honestly, the thought of being 20 is kind of making me feel anxious. I mean then, I won't be a teenager anymore and as a result, I feel like my youth is kind of over and I won't be able to have certain privileges of being associated with youth. I can't stop worrying about turning 20 and I fear as it gets closer, I will start counting the days and won't be able to enjoy being a teen. How can I deal with this?
In terms of "youth" the best is yet to come. I'm 26 and probably have only just started to fully enjoy my "youth" (in a relative sense) in the past couple of years.

Think about the things you like about being a teenager. Is there anything that becomes tangibly different once you pass 20? As you become more independent you are able to do the fun youth things but without your parents breathing down your neck as much. Enjoy it!
snowboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:43 PM   #6
Established Member

wait till you're 59 lol
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:43 AM   #7

How can I stop like counting down the days and enjoy being a teen?
Old 3rd November 2017, 1:02 AM   #8
Established Member

Consider planning something special for your birthday, that way the countdown becomes something positive for you to look forward to instead.

If that doesn't work and you start to feel too overwhelmed or anxious about how you are feeling then it might be good idea to speak to a counselor to help you work through those emotions.
Scarlett.O'hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2017, 8:09 AM   #9
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboy91 View Post
In terms of "youth" the best is yet to come. I'm 26 and probably have only just started to fully enjoy my "youth" (in a relative sense) in the past couple of years.
[...]
Agreed, as far as youthful exuberance is concerned my early 20s were probably the best. The OP probably has much to look forward to.
Old 3rd November 2017, 8:44 AM   #10
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnot View Post
wait till you're 59 lol

I have shirts older than the OP.
GorillaTheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2017, 10:37 PM   #11

There is a certain hobby I can do now as a teen(19) but I am not sure if I can do it when I'm 20. I've been under stress from school for a while and have not done my hobby for about a month and I suppose I could wait at 20 to resume it but again I am unsure if I can. Due to this, should I just do it now at 19 then?
Old 4th November 2017, 2:29 PM   #12
Established Member

What's the hobby & why can't you do it as a 20 year old?
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2017, 8:06 PM   #13
Established Member

I remember feeling that when I was about to turn 20. I'm about to be 43 now. And life is good. You're not old, you're not young, you're right. You're going to have a wonderful time, teens are roller coaster times but so are the twenties and thirties. You're going to learn a lot, and you're going to be happy and sad and crazy. And you'll come out the other end happy. I promise you it's not over, it's just changing.
mortensorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2017, 1:34 PM   #14
SJS
Established Member

Learn to appreciate every age & stage of life. I wasn't able to fully grasp that concept until my daughter was about 10, when I saw my friends comparing which stage they liked best when raising kids (newborn, baby, toddler, etc). I couldn't pick, because each stage had good things. As I grow older I can see that in myself now too.

Don't be sad about leaving the teen years, because you'll be in for a wild ride in the 20's!
SJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2017, 2:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nnivain View Post
What's the hobby & why can't you do it as a 20 year old?
Well before I say what it is(again unsure if I can do it at 20), should I just do it now at 19 so I won't have any regrets perhaps?