How much alcohol is too much?

Hey there, lads and gals

After moving out from my father's house, I started to drink more than usual. Not too much, of course. It's been 8 months and the only time I almost pass out was around two months ago. Boy, that night I wasn't me, haha.

To be honest, I feel amazing after a few glasses of beer or wine. I'm the most outgoing and funny guy you'll ever meet, unless you catch me outside the pub looking for trouble (and after a lot more than a few glasses of beer).

But, not so long ago, a friend came to me and told me he got fired from his job for drinking too much and that he was depressed. Also, he was living with his lesbian friend because he had trouble with his parents. I was so worried about him after that, but since I'm not in town right now I wasn't able to help him...

So, my question is - how much alcohol is too much? You see, I'm not a heavy drinker but am afraid of becoming one, especially since I feel so good after drinking.

I'd say I'm smart enough not to become one, but... you know, it's not a matter of intelligence. Or is it?

The # varies from person to person. But the minute you ask that Q you are on a bad path.

Try cutting down, even 1 less per day would be a good start. When you go out alternate & hydrate: alcohol, then water, then alcohol.

If you need alcohol to feel amazing, you are headed for a problem. See if you can go out & be that social fun guy stone cold sober. If you can't, watch out.

• Like 2

Alcohol doesn't really have a safe dose. At 1 glass a day you are trading a possible cardiovascular benefit for other issues, largely a small increase in cancer risks. It goes downhill from there. I would not know what it feels like to almost pass out from drinking, I have never been there.

If you are drinking more than a glass a day and are using it to feel amazing, then I would assume that there is a problem already. I would try to lower your intake and try to connect with the amazing person inside of you, who is there regardless of whether you drink or not.

• Like 5

So, my question is - how much alcohol is too much? You see, I'm not a heavy drinker but am afraid of becoming one, especially since I feel so good after drinking.

If you are concerned about it and asking the question, it's time to make a change.

I'd say I'm smart enough not to become one, -- I wonder how many alcoholics were telling themselves this very thing . . .

but... you know, it's not a matter of intelligence. Or is it? -- Intelligence is useless if you don't have the ability to use forethought and insight and willpower . . . there is a very thin line between intelligence and stupidity and easy to cross given the right circumstances.

Stephen Paddock was reported to have been extremely intelligent -- look what he did with it.

• Like 1
  • Author
The # varies from person to person. But the minute you ask that Q you are on a bad path.

Try cutting down, even 1 less per day would be a good start. When you go out alternate & hydrate: alcohol, then water, then alcohol.

If you need alcohol to feel amazing, you are headed for a problem. See if you can go out & be that social fun guy stone cold sober. If you can't, watch out.

I drink water after alcohol to avoid getting too much drunk. I'll start by drinking less, only once or twice a week.

Alcohol doesn't really have a safe dose. At 1 glass a day you are trading a possible cardiovascular benefit for other issues, largely a small increase in cancer risks. It goes downhill from there. I would not know what it feels like to almost pass out from drinking, I have never been there.

If you are drinking more than a glass a day and are using it to feel amazing, then I would assume that there is a problem already. I would try to lower your intake and try to connect with the amazing person inside of you, who is there regardless of whether you drink or not.

Passing out after drinking feels horrible, especially the day after.

Btw I don't have a glass per day. I drink 3 times a week, but nothing more. After the previously mentioned episode I stopped drinking hard liquour and sticked to beer and wine.

You can be just as much of an alcoholic on beer & wine. Don't kid yourself.

I'm not talking about drinking water after you finished drinking. I'm talking about alternating between alcohol & water when you are out. Doing this has the added benefit of less calories & being cheaper.

I heard the test was that if you drink alone you have a problem but that was said by a family of alcoholics who love getting drunk together so now I'm not sure.

• Like 3

Drinking alone is a bad sign but it's not the only one.

Blacking out; losing friends; ending up in risky situations when drunk; getting fired having your social life only revolve around alcohol are all signs of addiction

• Like 1
  • Author
I heard the test was that if you drink alone you have a problem but that was said by a family of alcoholics who love getting drunk together so now I'm not sure.

I laughed a lot after reading the 'family of alcoholics' part.

Is there a cultural side to this? I remember my father ranting about how everyone in my country drink too much and then complain about health issues. I'm by no means trying to justify myself, of course not, but would like to know your point of view about it.

I'm actually in a similar camp - I find that having a couple of drinks kills off my social anxiety and I can be my most outgoing self. However, I'm always careful not to make it a habit - I restrict drinking to weekends/social events (unless it's been a particularly horrible day at work and I really feel like one - which will always end up being only one). I also know that drinking is not the only thing that can bypass my anxiety - being around the right people or comfortable situations also helps.

When you say you are drinking more, how much in a night? How often is it (every day, just weekends, once or twice a month)? Similar to what the other posters have said, if you're asking the question it might be a concern but at least you've made yourself aware of it, so from here you might only need to make small changes to keep it in check.

Is there a cultural side to this? I remember my father ranting about how everyone in my country drink too much and then complain about health issues. I'm by no means trying to justify myself, of course not, but would like to know your point of view about it.

Are you from Ireland?

I'm thinking it's not cultural as much as it's the denial that's so prevalent with alcoholism. But it could also be a way for everyone to fit in together as a family

They seem like a lot of fun on the surface but once you know them better you will find they really are a very sad bunch deep down.

Be careful. A lot of people don't know this but alcohol withdrawal is actually more deadly than heroin withdrawal. Look it up if you don't believe me. You can literally die from alcohol withdrawal. You can die from heroin withdrawal too but its not as common as people think.

Justanaverageguy

How much alcohol is too much ?

Simply put when the balance goes from being a positive impact on your life to a negative one. The tricky thing is there is no set "balance point" that applies to everyone. Each person's balance point is individual and it is entirely dependent on you, your reaction to and behavior around alcohol that matters. For some that balance point could really be none at all. Any consumption will have a negative impact. For others limited consumption of alcohol can actually be beneficial.

I know there are many who might say that for all people any amount of alcohol is unhealthy and bad for your health. To these I would simply say their interpretation of good health is far to narrow. Good health comes not just from eating the right foods and drinking the right drinks but also from our mood, attitude and approach to life. The Mediterranean diet is so successful with health not just because of the food - but the lifestyle people in the Mediterranean live. Happy people live longer and have a higher quality of life while they are alive. So being able to enjoy an occasional few glasses of wine or bier with friends and family to celebrate and bond can in the long run be very beneficial if done in an appropriate way.

But here in lies the difficulty. A couple of drinks can turn into a binge night of 10-20 fairly quickly. Are you able to moderate yourself ? Do you have appropriate self control after drinking a couple to say - no that's enough for me. If you run into difficult times in life - difficult breakup, stress from work etc - will you be tempted to use alcohol as a coping mechanism that turns into a unhealthy vice ?

Only you can really answer these questions - but you can also look to others how they manage alcohol ..... and not just manage alcohol but manage their lives in general to see what seems to work best. One thing you will often notice is that those with serious alcohol problems - it is often merely a symptom of a larger behavioral and emotional issues in their life. Their inability to control the use of this drug (and possibly others) comes from their trying to escape \ avoid the emotional and physical consequences of other negative behaviors in their life.

General speaking those who live a healthy, emotional healthy and stable life - are able to use alcohol in a moderate way that actually has positive effects on their life experience. Those who live an unhealthy emotional unstable life usually aren't able to do the same.

So my advice: Focus more on wholistic approach to a healthy life - mind, body spirit - not simply alcohol on its own.

Edited by Justanaverageguy
  • Like 1

To be honest, I feel amazing after a few glasses of beer or wine. I'm the most outgoing and funny guy you'll ever meet, unless you catch me outside the pub looking for trouble (and after a lot more than a few glasses of beer).

This is what many people think when they are drinking. Someone may think that they are the life of the party, while others may feel this person is loud, belligerent, and obnoxious. Your judgment is impaired when you are drinking...

The "number" is different for everyone... But I would say based on what you have described, that it probably wouldn't hurt to cut back.

• Like 1

I was very much of the opinion that a bit of social drinking was okay, and data up until 2008 supported that. Then came to light that the control group of non-drinkers was seriously flawed in many studies, because it included people who couldn't drink alcohol because it would interfere with medications they were taking for other conditions. Essentially people who weren't sick because they avoided alcohol, but who were avoiding alcohol because they were sick.

After that was corrected a much more sobering picture emerged, in particular in regard to cancer risks. I would probably be abstinent if it wasn't so hard to explain why you don't drink at parties or even business outings. It makes you realize how many social events involve alcohol.

• Like 1
So, my question is - how much alcohol is too much?

when you can't remember your name you've had too much

• Like 1
Hey there, lads and gals

After moving out from my father's house, I started to drink more than usual. Not too much, of course. It's been 8 months and the only time I almost pass out was around two months ago. Boy, that night I wasn't me, haha.

But, not so long ago, a friend came to me and told me he got fired from his job for drinking too much and that he was depressed. Also, he was living with his lesbian friend because he had trouble with his parents. I was so worried about him after that, but since I'm not in town right now I wasn't able to help him...

I'd say I'm smart enough not to become one, but... you know, it's not a matter of intelligence. Or is it?

If you are asking the question it may mean that you are drinking too much. Some of the smartest people I know have alcohol use disorders. As you said, it's not about intelligence. The most driven, dedicated people are often the ones with drinking issues.

Check out the book "This Naked Mind-Control Alcohol." I have been sober for 8 months and wish I'd found this book a long time ago. I think it will help answer all of the questions and misconceptions you have about drinking and how/why it makes you feel the way you do.

Good luck.

• Author

Last night I threw away all the empty bottles I was collecting and the beer. I'm done, I'm tired of the shame and guilt.

• Like 4

It's not really the amount that matters (barring truly ridiculous amounts). Different people metabolize differently. There isn't any difference in my SO's behaviour after a couple of drinks, but I notice mine being affected after more than one.

I think if you are drinking enough to significantly impact your behaviour and outlook (even if you think the impact is "positive") on a regular basis, you are getting into danger territory for an addiction.

GunslingerRoland

I know you've gotten a lot of responses about drinking isn't about the amount but the affect on your life, but if you drink too much over time, you will die of liver failure regardless of whether you are getting drunk or not, or even if it has not negative impact on your life. Don't discount that fact.

• Like 1
Hey there, lads and gals

I think you're being too hard on yourself. I'd imagine if you just moved out of your dad's house, you're young. You've passed out from being drunk once in 8 months? That's not a lot for a young person, and it doesn't make you an alcoholic. I know true alcoholics that pass out weekly from drinking too much. I have a beer or two every night, because they're delicious! Seems to me you're more afraid of drinking too much than actual drinking too much.

Alcoholism is a dependency on liquor. If you're so conceded as to whether or not you have this, test yourself. I did years ago when I was staying in a backpacker party hostel in Australia, where drinking was a nightly routine. I went sober for a month; not a drop of liquor, and I still went out to the clubs with everyone. Never felt any desire or need to drink, it just made the club really boring (as if it isn't all the time).

Last night I threw away all the empty bottles I was collecting and the beer. I'm done, I'm tired of the shame and guilt.

Good for you. One day at a time. It's not easy; but it's worth it. There's a light and a new you waiting now. Keep going. Give yourself a chance to see what your life can become without alcohol. It's a good, good thing to be able to be completely honest and be able to look in the mirror and like what you see.

Peace.

Hey there, lads and gals

Let's put it this way you drink to your death or you drink to end up in the hospital with liver and kidney problems. Close friend was like you drink so much he lost his kidney.. Always in pain can't do much in life now. I would never turn to the bottle of sin after I had seen what happen to my late father.

• 2 weeks later...

Alcohol is a complete waste of time and money. Haven't had a drink in well over 2 months and never going back. Have saved at least $500. Dropped 7 lbs and eat like a growing teenager. (I'm almost 50) Great sleep, no hangovers, sharp brain, feel like I have an edge on everyone. Nagging aches and pains go away. Fantastic workouts, More focus

Miss the taste of whisky. Don't need beer, wine, vodka, gin, bourbon.

Take pride in being able to have a conversation in social situations (confidence), that you can tackle your problems head on. Sure things will be a little more boring, but everything is better.

Best thing I've done in a long time.

• Like 3