LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

Living life for myself

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Old 26th September 2017, 10:55 AM   #1

Living life for myself

So, I am looking for insight on how to start living my life more for me and less for my kids (who are 24,22,17) and significant other (who happens to b my ex-hubby). I feel trapped in my life. Every decision I have made in my adult life has been based on the 4 of them. How do you start making choices that will make you happy instead of worrying how it will affect everyone else?
grateful heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 2:12 PM   #2

Hello there,
Even though your thread is a little too short, I get the idea that you have given a lot from yourself for your family because it clearly is the most important part of your life. That is completely normal, thats why in so many cultures family is seen as sacred, holy and divine. Are you sure that you havent lived your life for yourself? Let me tell you one short story,
there was a young man who never knew what his purpose in life was. All his life he had been wondering what he wanted to do with the time given to him. He had no clear goals whatsoever and his future was to him like a misty field. People would ask him what he wanted to become when he grew up and such, and he had no answers. Then he got married and had his very first child. When he held his new born daughter in his arms it all became clear to him. When he saw her little eyes he know that he had a purpose. His meaning of life was to do everything so that his daughter would grow up happy and would never lack a thing.
In your case your children seem to be almost adults so, why dont you try to remember what your passions were before you had the family. Did you have hobbies? Try working out, learning an instrument, art, anything youd like, trying new recipes, baking, whatever. The self improvement journey is not a journey with an end! Keep that in mind. So, take action and do what satisfies you the most.
Kind Regards
AS
Archibald Salisbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 2:18 PM   #3

Honestly, being a mother has pretty much been my greatest accomplishment. My kids have been my life since I was 19. So trying to figure out how to live my life for me instead of them is my issue. If I try and do what I want instead of what they want you would think I was telling them I was running off to join the circus. They don't need me, they just like knowing I'm there if they want something. I know I caused it but its time to break the cycle.
grateful heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 2:30 PM   #4
Established Member

Start small. Do something little for yourself that makes you happy. Buy your favorite kind of cookies or ice cream at the store even if everybody else hates that flavor. Do things you enjoy. Spend time with your friends.

You don't have wholesale abandon everybody else. Just put yourself 1st once in a while.

It's OK to let the dishes sit. It's OK to ask the older 2 kids to give a ride to the 17 year old. It's OK to say no.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote