LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

Quitting Sugar: the Support thread

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th September 2017, 6:27 PM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966Seahorse View Post
Hi Soak,

I was just thinking that it is 3 days before I start my "blood sugar diet" and it made me think about you ... how are you getting on? ... I hope you are hanging on in there!!!
I'm hanging in there Seahorse! Yesterday (day 6) was the hardest i think. False sense of security due to the time accumulated, had sugar cravings in the afternoon, and REALLY felt like buying a bottle of wine during witching hour (the evening).. Strategy: do nothing!

Day 7 today and i think the fog is starting to lift. No headache this morning, and mot really craving sugar.

You'll have to check in re- your blood sugar diet.. I'd be interested to hear, and it's good to get support.

Would like to switch over from the occassional piece of bread with my eggs to completely white carbohydrates free. Have switched from starchy vegetables though to non starch, eg, cauli, broccoli etc.

Cookies: yes, avacados are great! Have one in the fridge Great in green smoothies too.
Soak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2017, 8:47 PM   #17
Established Member

Just think of all the healthy, delicious and nutritious foods you CAN eat!!!

Keep going my friend. Around day 14, you will feel amazing!

Our purpose in life is to help others; if we can't help them at least don't hurt them.
divegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2017, 8:20 PM   #18
Established Member

Thanks divegrl.

Made it to day 8 and on day 9 I fell off the wagon. Bought a bottle of wine, and this morning I bought some chocolate biscuits because I felt so hungover, I thought it would make me (physically) feel better.

Am still determined to go sugar free and will resume my mission after today.
Old 7th October 2017, 7:52 AM   #19
Established Member

Hi Soak,

How are you getting on after your wine/chocolate biscuit wobble!!

I started my diet on 1st October so here we are on day 7 of the 8 week blood sugar diet!!

For the first three days I had a seriously bad headache - I guess going cold turkey on the no sugar thing!! Thankfully on day 4 it started to get better!

So here I am on day 7 and I have to say I have not felt hungry once ... however I think this is actually due to the fact that I have cut my tea intake down to 1 mug a day max (some days no tea at all) and upped my intake of drinking water - I have one large glass of water before and after every meal - I think it is making me feel full!

The diet I am doing is quite hard - I am only having 800 calories a day, so kinda punishing and there can be quite a lot of prepping to make meals, which can be a pain.

But .... so far so good .... however I am out tonight for a meal so everything is going to go t i t s up tonight ha ha .... a tiny bit of alcohol will be consumed as well .... but I know that once I get up tomorrow morning I will be back to "being good".

I am glad I have managed a week so far without "straying" ... went out for a lovely walk in the woods yesterday, the weather was fab - gloriously sunny, so, yes, all good!!

How are you getting on? I do think of you!!

Hang in there

xx
1966Seahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017, 7:57 AM   #20
Established Member

.... I forgot to add that basically I have cut out all sugars (as much as possible - obviously some things have natural sugars in them) ...

... no potatoes, no pasta, no rice .... limited fruit .... no bread ...

... so instead of say, spaghetti, I will have courgetti instead (spiralised courgette) ...

... I have lots of vegetables ... full fat greek yoghurt .... feta cheese is mainly the only cheese used ... semi skimmed milk.

... there is no "low fat" stuff going on in this diet ... everything used, such as the greek yoghurt and coconut milk is the usual stuff (however milk is semi skimmed).

Old 7th October 2017, 10:17 PM   #21
Established Member

Oh, Seahorse.. I've been thinking about you too! Congratulations on getting passed day 7! I know what you mean about the headaches, I reckon they take about 4-5 days minimum to go.

My wobble has lasted a few days, but I decided this morning I need to get back on the wagon so to speak. Still haven't given up the occasional peice of toast, or white carbohydrate, but am fighting off the craving for sugar today. There is definitely a link between loneliness and self indulging for me.

Am about to leave for a short evening shift at work. Am going to stop off at super market to buy herbal tea instead of biscuits as snack.

Good on you
Old 8th October 2017, 12:54 AM   #22
Established Member

Hi Soak .... I can definitely see what you mean when you say "there is definitely a link between loneliness and self indulging for me" .... I can consume so much sugary stuff it is crazy and I know I do it for the exact same reason ....

.... and if I go off the wagon as you say you have for a few days then I really beat myself up and, basically, the diet ends .... so for me I have to be all in 100 percent ....

.... anyway I went out last night, only had a main and a diet coke but beforehand had 2 glasses of prosecco ... oh - I forgot - when I went back to the friends' house we had apple crumble and cream - groan

.... anyway I couldn't do much about that but I am still fully focused ...

.... and I weighed myself this morning at the beginning of day 8 ... drum roll .....

.... first week and a weight loss of 7lb .... I am so pleased!!

Keep going Soak - you can do it!!!!!

xx