LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

Tips for waking up at 5am everyday and getting a good night sleep

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2017, 1:08 PM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elswyth View Post

I find 2am best for that.
I actually know so many night owls that I can't really be alone at 2am haha.
But I don't anyone personally that wakes up at 5am.
Elswyth likes this.
HiCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 3:17 PM   #17
Established Member

i've been waking up at 4:15 for the past 14 years for work and it still isn't any easier. what helps a bit is a firm bedtime, between 8:45-9:15, and i put all my house lights on timers for 9:15pm so if i'm not in bed by then i'm reminded that it's time. i don't do computer/ipad/tech stuff about 30 minutes before bed. i aim to 'finish' the day by 8, so that i'm relaxing before bed. eating pretty soon after you wake up at 4/5 helps a lot - it gets the metabolism going right away so i generally eat pretty soon after waking. it's tough. i start work at 6 and i'm probably not even productive until 10. you can definitely train yourself to get up early - i don't even need the alarm anymore, but waking up in complete darkness and cold in the winter, not fun. my co-workers basically do the same as me to get to the office on time and i hear many of them get up at 4 and go to bed at midnight. but it shows, they look awful. just make sure if you're getting up at 5 you get that rest in, even if you just relax in the bed until you fall asleep. good luck.
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 7:25 PM   #18
Established Member

Same, but say I want to be at the bank or at the doctor at 8 am, then I need to be out the door at 7 am. I need another hour before then to shower, dress up, feed my cat etc. This brings it to 6 am. So 5 am is not unrealistic if OP wants to have an extra hour for whatever in the morning.

For working out: if I work out at 9 pm I just can't go to bed afterwards... And after dinner the motivation is very low.

But yeah, if you're ok with staying super late, 2 am is also good for me time I've done that in the past and enjoyed it very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elswyth View Post
But the OP wants to wake up at 5am. I don't know about where you live, but here the earliest you can do any admin stuff or Dr visits is 8am (sometimes 9am), not 5am!

I don't see how working out at 5am is better than 9pm? It's equally dark and cold.

I find 2am best for that.
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 7:27 PM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCrunchy View Post
I actually know so many night owls that I can't really be alone at 2am haha.
But I don't anyone personally that wakes up at 5am.
I know both. One of my coworkers used to shift her hours instead of 8-9am to 5-6 pm, to 5-6 am to 2-3 pm. That way she used to have the whole afternoon for herself.
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2017, 5:31 AM   #20

My 2 cents

Morning OP.

Bit of advice from a brit that gets up at 5.30 every day...

Exercise 1st thing... I go to the gym before work as it is very quiet and the sessions can be more focused. This then leads on to a free evening for your other activities and ... if you've had a good workout early am... you'll be tired and ready to sleep by 10 pm.

I started doing it as I was struggling to sleep for months after a break-up. Started the routine and it helped a lot, now I just stick with it for my own physical and mental health.

Plus it makes lie-ins at the weekend so much more enjoyable and rewarding if you've been disciplined all week.

Without gym to go to ... to facilitate free time on evenings I'd probably still be struggling.

Set an alarm, put it somewhere where you can't reach it from the bed, so you actually have to get out of bed to turn it off helped at the start. Then stick it out religiously for a month and BAM.. you're mind and muscles will have adopted it as routine.

Hope that helps you.
BrokenHeartedMan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2017, 5:10 AM   #21
Established Member

I've found that shaving an hour off of your bedtime helps to gradually adjust your sleep schedule.

Each night go to bed one hour earlier than the night before and eventually you will hit your target bed time. I also wake at 5am to do a morning workout. Sometimes I have to take sleeping pills to make sure that I can go to bed early enough to get up.

I take the sleeping bills around 7pm. By 9pm I'm ready to sleep. I have a fitness tracker that monitors my sleep. It has an alarm thing on there that vibrates my wrist. This is good if you are partnered and don't want to wake them up at the crack of dawn.

Also, try not to eat or workout 3 hours before you go to bed. I will lay down, turn everything off and put on a audio book or something until I pass out.
meeji is offline   Reply With Quote