LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

other people's use of social media/phone when you're hanging out

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th September 2017, 6:18 PM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camillalev View Post

I agree with this to a point, and it seems slightly old school to me. If it's going to be a phone call or something, typically some warning or explanation is given. I've never had someone just abruptly take a call - that would be weird and rude. But to have to announce every time we respond to a text or emails seems kind of odd. Those things can be responded to quickly and casually without being rude(responding "yeah" only takes a second). I've done that with others and theyve done that with me. Like I said, if they have their face buried in their phones or theyre barely making eye contact - theyre being rude. Or maybe they have some sort of social personality disorder.
Yeah, i am kind of old school. A disclaimer at start of meeting etc is enough. If they're going to be glued to their phone and feel the need to respond to every innane text, then we're probably not suited as friends or otherwise, anyway.

There's nothing wrong with some old school etiquette! But yeah, it depends on your r/ship with the person and how much they value SM or not.

I think it's also related to age. I'm older and prefer voice to voice, or face to face convo, the younger generation seems to focus on their screens, but here i am, sitting on an internet forum. Seems a bit ironic, doesn't it?!

Last edited by Soak; 19th September 2017 at 6:24 PM..
Soak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 8:16 PM   #17
Established Member

It's rude to have your time interrupted when you only get a little time with a friend. I put mine turned off into my purse and leave it. My main lunch partner has a family and leaves hers on the table and glances furtively at it from time to time but rarely responds. I really don't see what can't wait unless someone is in the hospital on life support. Being too eager and always available isn't even good for anyone's image, truth be told. Why hide the fact that you have a life from people?
Old 29th September 2017, 2:03 PM   #18
Established Member

My best friend does this so I get my phone out and call someone to chat. Usually for 20-30 minutes while he sits there like an idiot, now he doesn't really do it anymore unless it's from his family.
Ieris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2017, 6:15 PM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushed View Post
For me it depends on whom I'm with.

When I hang out with my best friend we're on our phones constantly. But we also text each other all day every day so there really isn't much to catch up on.

When my boyfriend and I first started dating our phones never came out when we were out eating. Now on occasion we do pull out our phones, but it's not for the whole time, and we usually ask each other if the other minds.

When I'm meeting with a friend or friends I don't see very often, my phone stays in my pocket.
Same here. I don't mind if my best friend uses it while we talk, I do it as well.

If it's done by someone I date, it's quite off-putting.
EthanSPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2017, 9:01 AM   #20

I make a conscious effort not to be on my phone when I'm with other people. I just feel that it's disrespectful. I want to have real conversations! I just check on my phone every now and then, but I avoid staying on it for too long.

When I'm hanging out with people who are always on their phones, it really annoys me, but I don't call them out for it because it'll just make them feel annoyed at me. At the end of the day, they're the ones responsible for their addiction or overuse.
foreverdancer is offline   Reply With Quote