LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

Do people believe in virtues any more?

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th August 2017, 12:33 AM   #1

Red face Do people believe in virtues any more?

First it seems that the basic understanding of the term for people under the age of 35 is questionable. For example, do we as a society as a whole value integrity? I can list many others.like common sense, logic and many other things it seems to be a lost concept. Do we attribute this to the break down of families, traditions, the disappearance of small community churches replaced by mega churches and social media?
jigwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2017, 1:28 AM   #2
Established Member

I know a great many under 35's who have the qualities you think are missing. Hard working, socially aware, considerate, honest and trustworthy. And yes, I know a few people of that age who can't be described in this way.

ALL generations have a variety of people who vary between being good, bad and midline. I'm Gen X and we've certainly got our share of selfish people....and Baby Boomers have screwed our Australian property market for the younger generations.

Only a fool would think that older generations don't have their share of problematic people.
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2017, 9:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil67 View Post
Only a fool would think that older generations don't have their share of problematic people.
Of course it was not my intention to generalize, but the older I get the more apathy I see. I will accept your personal attack of me. But would rather hear your opinion about the question.
Old 24th August 2017, 10:04 AM   #4
Established Member

Journal Entries: 39
I think many value and practice having virtue and integrity and part of that is toiling to the standard in peace and without seeking notice. Even when confronted with paradigms of disorder and lawlessness, they proceed with virtue and integrity rather than descend into the same milieu and methods. Examine who gets the notice and attention and validation in life. We decide that as a society.

TBH, I haven't seen much change in my lifetime, although the anonymity of the internet has certainly consolidated and broadcast the realities of who we are, at least in part, to the wider world, good, bad and indifferent.

To compare, turn off the internet and media (TV, radio, etc) for a month and simply interact with people. See what happens. IME, virtue and integrity are alive and well, though sometimes drowned out.
carhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2017, 10:47 AM   #5
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carhill View Post
I think many value and practice having virtue and integrity and part of that is toiling to the standard in peace and without seeking notice. Even when confronted with paradigms of disorder and lawlessness, they proceed with virtue and integrity rather than descend into the same milieu and methods. Examine who gets the notice and attention and validation in life. We decide that as a society.

TBH, I haven't seen much change in my lifetime, although the anonymity of the internet has certainly consolidated and broadcast the realities of who we are, at least in part, to the wider world, good, bad and indifferent.

To compare, turn off the internet and media (TV, radio, etc) for a month and simply interact with people. See what happens. IME, virtue and integrity are alive and well, though sometimes drowned out.
Extremely wise thoughts
jigwig likes this.
Old 24th August 2017, 3:01 PM   #6
Established Member

I attribute it to a steady mudslide in parenting and role modeling, plus overreliance on internet and social media and not enough real-life interaction where you can't get away with so much crap or you won't have any friends or dates.
Old 24th August 2017, 4:27 PM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigwig View Post
Of course it was not my intention to generalize, but the older I get the more apathy I see. I will accept your personal attack of me. But would rather hear your opinion about the question.
Umm....I gave my opinions in the first two paragraphs.

To add further; the older I get, the more I am jaded by my own Gen X and Baby Boomers where so many seem to care more about themselves than others. If my daughter and her cohort are anything to go by, the world will be in good hands with them at the helm.
anika99 and jigwig like this.
Old 24th August 2017, 5:01 PM   #8
Established Member

Wait! I just remembered this article. Some excellent historical quotes from fuddy duddies complaining about young people's behaviour and declining morals

15 Historical Complaints About Young People Ruining Everything | Mental Floss
Old 24th August 2017, 5:14 PM   #9
Established Member

Quote:
To add further; the older I get, the more I am jaded by my own Gen X and Baby Boomers where so many seem to care more about themselves than others. If my daughter and her cohort are anything to go by, the world will be in good hands with them at the helm.
I feel that in general the older people get, the more they care about themselves and their immediate family than anyone else.
So whilst your daughter and her friends may seem to be more caring, once they get their own family around them, others do not matter so much.
Most people are all for the rights of the disadvantaged, the weak and the vulnerable when young, but by the time they age they are more worried about what they and their family are getting out of life than anything else and the weak and the poor are then looked upon as "scroungers" and "losers"...
elaine567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2017, 5:50 PM   #10
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine567 View Post
I feel that in general the older people get, the more they care about themselves and their immediate family than anyone else.
So whilst your daughter and her friends may seem to be more caring, once they get their own family around them, others do not matter so much.
Most people are all for the rights of the disadvantaged, the weak and the vulnerable when young, but by the time they age they are more worried about what they and their family are getting out of life than anything else and the weak and the poor are then looked upon as "scroungers" and "losers"...
I think you're right to a degree. I do know some people who are like this, and while I am friendly with them, I don't really have a lot of respect for their self centred approaches. But I am heartened by many other older people I know who are committed to social justice and environmental change. The change you're talking about is not a given.

It's probably also worth giving the context that we live in Australia's most left wing area. People here tend to stick to their social justice roots.
jigwig likes this.
Old 24th August 2017, 6:28 PM   #11

Makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carhill View Post

I think my career has dimmed my perspective. Hardened me. Made me cynical. I think if I step away as you say. Unplug. I can draw on what you say.
Old 24th August 2017, 6:32 PM   #12

Interesting

Quote:
I think you're right to a degree. I do know some people who are like this, and while I am friendly with them, I don't really have a lot of respect for their self centred approaches. But I am heartened by many other older people I know who are committed to social justice and environmental change. The change you're talking about is not a given.

It's probably also worth giving the context that we live in Australia's most left wing area. People here tend to stick to their social justice roots.
I too am friendly, but exposed to so much crime and pure evidence on a daily bases that I have to remind myself that in the most difficult times it was often the kindness of strangers that got me through the worst of times. So, I can in good faith know that not everyone is evil.
preraph likes this.
Old 24th August 2017, 6:35 PM   #13
Established Member

What career do you have?
jigwig likes this.
Old 24th August 2017, 6:39 PM   #14
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
i am big on virtues.....like loyalty, honesty, kindness, generosity, integrity humility altruism...and i guess i believe there are many who do because i cant be one of few.....its what i hold onto......the good i see in the world done by good peoples.....and i try my very best no matter how hard it gets however bad it is around me...to be good peoples too.....deb
jigwig likes this.
todreaminblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2017, 6:41 PM   #15

Timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine567 View Post
No doubt as we evolve our perspective changes. I certainly was out to save the world in my youth. I do believe I've become more jaded. I live in a city with six million people. It's hot. Humid. People are angry for many reasons. Yet occasionally, rarely, I see something that blows my mind and reminds me that we live in a civilized society. That the haves to give back to the have nots.