amaysngrace

It's been a much easier transition than I had thought it would be and I am actually loving just knowing I'm doing my part to show respect to all animal life.

I initially decided to make the change to help reduce inflammation in myself. I've developed some weird reaction to milk and other dairy products where consuming dairy physically pains me but now it's become beyond me and my selfish needs. I am glad to not be eating anything that causes the suffering of another life.

Can anyone relate? And if you have any great recipes or products you love, do you care to share?

• Like 5
LivingWaterPlease

Cool, amaysngrace! Yes, I've been vegetarian my entire life, though have eaten fish at times. Did the vegan thing for about 18 months and would like to go vegan again. During that time I also didn't eat the whites (flour, sugar, etc.) Would eat Food For Life's Ezekiel Bread.

Right now I eat eggs, cheese, and butter but no milk (use almond milk when I need to) and very rarely ice cream.

Sugar is my biggest problem. I don't drink alcohol but am a sugarholic!

You're off of dairy, too, huh? I have a great protein casserole recipe for cottage cheese loaf but it has eggs and cottage cheese in it. I've adapted it to vegan, though, using tofu and an egg replacer. I like it about as much as the regular dairy recipe.

• Like 2
  • Author
amaysngrace
I have a great protein casserole recipe for cottage cheese loaf but it has eggs and cottage cheese in it. I've adapted it to vegan, though, using tofu and an egg replacer. I like it about as much as the regular dairy recipe.

I would love the recipe if you don't mind sharing. Protein is going to be a challenge so of course any high protein ideas are welcomed! What made you decide to go back to being a vegetarian after a year and a half, if you don't mind my asking?

amaysngrace,

Very well done !

I'm almost vegan, just eggs to get rid of now...finding it difficult....

lots of ideas here ; https://www.vegansociety.com/resources/recipes

Very good job to you as well my dear. :love:

Thank you for the link...I'm going to check it out now....

• Like 1
LivingWaterPlease
I would love the recipe if you don't mind sharing. Protein is going to be a challenge so of course any high protein ideas are welcomed! What made you decide to go back to being a vegetarian after a year and a half, if you don't mind my asking?

Very good job to you as well my dear. :love:

Thank you for the link...I'm going to check it out now....

I think I probably ate food someone prepared for me (most likely a dessert) not wanting to hurt their feelings. Then once I tasted it I begin craving it again. Then slowly introduced things back into my diet.

It's more of a challenge when traveling to be vegan, etc. But, I do want to get back on it.

Here's a cook book that just came out that won the highest award in the world for cook books for the year. It's a vegan cookbook. I haven't gotten it yet but plan to. Believe it comes out of Australia.

Food as Medicine, Cooking For Your Best Health, by Sue Radd

I'll send you the tofu recipe later today. Tofu isn't good, as you know, unless it's prepared well. Oh, just thought of another tofu recipe that's so easy and is fantastic. Will include that, too, later on today.

• Like 1
  • Author
amaysngrace

Thank you so much LWP :love:

I'm going to check out that book now. Today I ordered pea protein and luckily it was on sale for a really good buy one get one deal.

Protein is definitely going to be a challenge.

I've seen that egg substitute called Neat Egg online but have yet to try it. I hear good things though. It's made from a ground chick pea base. Do they have plenty of options where you are?

I think it will be okay. There are so many options over here now with new ones coming out all the time but I'm going to try cooking more rather than the fast food frozen burger I go for way too often so thanks again for the book idea!

LivingWaterPlease
Thank you so much LWP :love:

I'm going to check out that book now. Today I ordered pea protein and luckily it was on sale for a really good buy one get one deal.

Protein is definitely going to be a challenge.

I've seen that egg substitute called Neat Egg online but have yet to try it. I hear good things though. It's made from a ground chick pea base. Do they have plenty of options where you are?

I think it will be okay. There are so many options over here now with new ones coming out all the time but I'm going to try cooking more rather than the fast food frozen burger I go for way too often so thanks again for the book idea!

You're welcome! I live in the USA and, yes, there are lots of options here. I've used a egg substitute called Egg Replacer by Ener-G Foods (enter-g.com). I buy it at a health food store here but you could probably get it online if you aren't happy with Neat Egg. Egg Replacer is gluten free, wheat free, no preservatives, artificial flavoring, or sugar added, cholesterol free. I've been very happy with it.

The easy tofu recipe is

However much tofu you want to make

Cube it up and cover (coat it) with whatever kind of oil you use. I use coconut oil. Make a mixture of nutritional yeast flakes (buy at a health food store) and add to it cayenne pepper and garlic to taste. Coat the oil-covered tofu with this. I'd say about a cup of it covers a couple cups of tofu easily. Put this in the oven around 350-400 to bake until crisp to taste turning half way through. Can't recall how long it takes. I ate this at a vegetarian restaurant and the waiter told me the ingredients so don't have an exact recipe but if you make it you'll see variations work out just fine.

Once it's been baked to your taste, remove from over and mix with green onions chopped into about two inch long slices, mostly for appearance, it looks really nice. Ready to serve. Delicious!

Here's the cottage cheese loaf recipe with the adaptation following it:

5 eggs beaten

1/2 c. onions, chopped (I use one whole vidalia onion chopped)

3 pkg George Washington broth (this is a vegetarian chicken bouillon type thing) Can also use McKay's chicken seasoning (is vegetarian) or Osem Consommé (this is a Kosher chicken seasoning in Kosher section of Publix Grocery store, also vegetarian) I mostly use the Osem Consommé (3 T)

as I can get it locally and the other two aren't available locally that I know of.

1 cube melted butter (optional, i don't usually use)

1 Tbsp Accent (I don't have so don't use)

2 pints cottage cheese

1/2 cup milk (I substitute two or three celery stalks whizzed up in food processor for this)

1 7 oz package Special K cereal.

1 c walnuts chopped (optional)

Mix and bake one hour at 350 degrees.

OK, for the vegan version substitute 2 pints cubed tofu for the cottage cheese and Egg Replacer in the equilvalent of 5 eggs (amount of Egg Replacer for each egg is on the box).

If you're gluten intolerant you can substitute Rice Chex for Special K.

I also season with about a half to one teaspoon of garlic and approximately one Tablespoon (or to taste) of Cherchies Lemon Dill seasoning. You have to order it from Cherchies online unless a specialty store in your area carries it.

Delish!

• Like 1
  • Author
amaysngrace

That actually sounds really good especially with the walnuts and cereal for added crunch. We have nutritional yeast here in the house....I bought it for a mac and cheese recipe my daughter makes which is pretty tasty.

I think the fewer ingredients the better usually so this one sounds like a winner to me! Thank you for posting!

• Like 1
LivingWaterPlease

You're welcome, amaysngrace!

What is pea protein and how do you use it?

Also, not sure where you live but Walmart has organic tofu.

I like lentils for protein and also pinto beans, black beans, chickpeas, etc. Quinoa is another good protein and substitute for rice if you're trying to cut back on carbs.

The cottage cheese loaf or tofu adaptation of it are much better 24 hours after making so make it in advance. In fact, I like to freeze them and pull them out when needed because after they set awhile and flavors of ingredients meld together it's so much better!

• Like 1
  • Author
amaysngrace
You're welcome, amaysngrace!

What is pea protein and how do you use it?

Also, not sure where you live but Walmart has organic tofu.

I like lentils for protein and also pinto beans, black beans, chickpeas, etc. Quinoa is another good protein and substitute for rice if you're trying to cut back on carbs.

The cottage cheese loaf or tofu adaptation of it are much better 24 hours after making so make it in advance. In fact, I like to freeze them and pull them out when needed because after they set awhile and flavors of ingredients meld together it's so much better!

That's awesome that you can freeze it. Especially if it makes a lot. I love having food in the freezer that I can just thaw for an easy dinner...I freeze extra marinara nearly every time I make a pot of gravy so it's like two meals for one effort. Love that!

Pea protein is a protein powder to put in smoothies instead of using whey since whey is dairy. The one I ordered today is made by Swanson and although I never tried that brand before I couldn't resist because it was buy one get one. And it says it's organic and non-GMO so that's good enough to me.

I live sort of near walmart. I think it's maybe like 15 miles south of me but it isn't a super one. There's some food they sell and they have an aisle or two of refrigerated foods but it's nothing like some walmarts I've been in. I'm going to need to check out what they sell there more closely.

There's another one like a half an hour away from me and that one is gigantic. I've bought food from there before, mostly produce because they do have a pretty large organic section. I will definitely take a ride out there.

I love lentil beans too. I am planning to make a shepherds pie and picked up all the ingredients yesterday but haven't made it yet. I made it before and it turned out pretty good although it was kind of like eating mashed potatoes on lentil soup. It was good though.

https://minimalistbaker.com/1-hour-vegan-shepherds-pie/

Did you know Ben and Jerrys makes vegan ice cream? Their coconut seven layer is to die for! I'm going to need to definitely stay away from that!

And I like the Gardein products too. Have you tried those?

LivingWaterPlease
That's awesome that you can freeze it. Especially if it makes a lot. I love having food in the freezer that I can just thaw for an easy dinner...I freeze extra marinara nearly every time I make a pot of gravy so it's like two meals for one effort. Love that!

Pea protein is a protein powder to put in smoothies instead of using whey since whey is dairy. The one I ordered today is made by Swanson and although I never tried that brand before I couldn't resist because it was buy one get one. And it says it's organic and non-GMO so that's good enough to me.

I live sort of near walmart. I think it's maybe like 15 miles south of me but it isn't a super one. There's some food they sell and they have an aisle or two of refrigerated foods but it's nothing like some walmarts I've been in. I'm going to need to check out what they sell there more closely.

There's another one like a half an hour away from me and that one is gigantic. I've bought food from there before, mostly produce because they do have a pretty large organic section. I will definitely take a ride out there.

I love lentil beans too. I am planning to make a shepherds pie and picked up all the ingredients yesterday but haven't made it yet. I made it before and it turned out pretty good although it was kind of like eating mashed potatoes on lentil soup. It was good though.

https://minimalistbaker.com/1-hour-vegan-shepherds-pie/

Did you know Ben and Jerrys makes vegan ice cream? Their coconut seven layer is to die for! I'm going to need to definitely stay away from that!

And I like the Gardein products too. Have you tried those?

Yes, doesn't Gardien make a chicken substitute (batter-covered small pieces?) that comes with an orange marinade? Delish! I used to buy and eat them all the time for awhile. Gardien has some great products!

I also buy Grillers and Bacon Strips (fake bacon) by Morningstar Farms. I like to break up the crisp Bacon Strips and add them to a bowl of great northern beans for a quick lunch or dinner. Or use them for breakfast, crumble on a salad, or add to a tomato sandwich along with lettuce, BLT sandwich!

Another meat substitute I like is called Big Franks, comes in a can and is made by Loma Linda foods. Some grocery stores carry them but most don't.

Re: Ben and Jerry's non dairy ice cream. There's also a non dairy ice cream that's called So Delicious. I believe it's cashew based. I love the sea salt/caramel flavor of So Delicious! You can go to So Delicious Dairy Free | Coconut Milk, Almond Milk and Soy Milk Based Beverages, Snacks and Desserts and request a free coupon for the product. They'll send you one free coupon and three dollar off coupons for their products.

• Like 1
whichwayisup

Just make sure you bulk up on all your vitamins and minerals.

Hope being a vegan heals your aches and pains. I know wheat/gluten is a big one for many as well as dairy products.

• Like 1
  • Author
amaysngrace

Thanks WWIU....I am taking in a ton of vitamins from the foods I eat since everything is plant based. Everything is surprisingly very filling too for some reason. May be the fiber....

• Like 1
hippychick3

I am a plant-based, whole food vegan (as opposed junk food vegan). I do it mostly for health reasons. I have a serious autoimmune disease and live virtually symptom free eating this way. I also avoid gluten, oil, and sugar.

You don't need any extra supplements (except vitamin B12) or protein. You get everything you need on a plant based diet.

I highly recommend watching "What the Health" on Netflix. It's an excellent documentary and will give you so much information about this way of eating :)

• Like 5
Gr8fuln2020
I am a plant-based, whole food vegan (as opposed junk food vegan). I do it mostly for health reasons. I have a serious autoimmune disease and live virtually symptom free eating this way. I also avoid gluten, oil, and sugar.

You don't need any extra supplements (except vitamin B12) or protein. You get everything you need on a plant based diet.

I highly recommend watching "What the Health" on Netflix. It's an excellent documentary and will give you so much information about this way of eating :)

You're my mom in a nutshell. A true vegan. Vegans do not eat any foods that derive or are by-products of animals. When I visit my mother, I get the best healthy foods. As a former vegetarian, I yearn for the days when my diet was w/o animal products, but have done well to add weight, muscle with the addition. But mostly vegetarian.

• Like 3
hippychick3
You're my mom in a nutshell. A true vegan. Vegans do not eat any foods that derive or are by-products of animals. When I visit my mother, I get the best healthy foods. As a former vegetarian, I yearn for the days when my diet was w/o animal products, but have done well to add weight, muscle with the addition. But mostly vegetarian.

There are a LOT of vegan bodybuilders out there.... you should watch the documentary:)

Gr8fuln2020
There are a LOT of vegan bodybuilders out there.... you should watch the documentary:)

I understand, thanks. But, it simply requires a little too much effort and discipline that I simply don't have. :)

My favorite things to eat are hippie/Buddha bowls. Cold in the summer hot in the winter. So many recipes online just replace the meat with a bean.

Overnight oats in a mason jar. I use coconut milk, cinnamon, nuts and dried fruit.

When I have a chocolate craving I make black bean brownies.

I love protein energy balls. I keep a plate in the frig to snack on. Peanut butter is my favorite.

Kale chips! I love them. My h won't go near them so I get the whole pan all to myself. :p

• Like 4
  • Author
amaysngrace

I love protein energy balls. I keep a plate in the frig to snack on. Peanut butter is my favorite.

What are protein energy balls? I've been drinking Tazo Awake with just a slight spoon of organic raw sugar and unsweetened almond milk creamer by Califia for energy.

It's delicious enough to be dessert but I'm probably overdoing the caffeine a bit.

I have to say I feel great though! I'm so glad I made this switch. :)

• Like 1

Energy balls are raw goodness! :p

I usually just toss ingredients in the bowl.

When friends ask for my recipes h just laughs. It's a miracle if my dishes taste the same twice.

Tea and water are all I drink. Coconut milk in my smoothies.

My boozy lush girlfriends have convinced me that Bloody Mary's are a vitamin packed antioxidant enriched heaven juice. I'm sold.

Here are some examples of the raw energy balls I make.

I don't eat sugar, never have, I use honey sparingly, the dried fruit in the balls make it sweet enough for me.

I don't know what made me think of it but I sure love papaya sauce. Do you make sauces, like tahini and such? Sauces are fun and really change up a veggie.

25 Energy-Packed Snack Balls That Will Jump-Start Your Day | One Green Planet

• Like 2

Im not a vegetarian but I do love vege food, and only eat whole foods anyway. Good vege / vegan food is much more difficult to prepare in my opinion, you have got to think about the flavors more and of course ensure the food is nutritional. My fave vegan recipe book is called Vegan Soul Kitchen by Bryant Terry - nom nom nom lots of very tasty flavorsome recipes!

• Like 1
Gr8fuln2020

I really and truly hope there is a place like Loving Hut in the Salt Lake City area where I am relocating. I could not believe all that food from that restaurant was vegan! Anyway, there are some tasty ideas here and I really need to expand my cooking skills.

• Like 1
  • Author
amaysngrace
I really and truly hope there is a place like Loving Hut in the Salt Lake City area where I am relocating. I could not believe all that food from that restaurant was vegan! Anyway, there are some tasty ideas here and I really need to expand my cooking skills.

We have a local place called Greens and Grains and it's the most tasty vegan food ever. Their grilled cheese and tomato are amazing and so is their cheesecake.

I could eat there everyday if my budget afforded it so I know exactly what you mean when you finally find a place. I hope there is someplace nice for you there in Salt Lake

When do you go?

Gr8fuln2020
We have a local place called Greens and Grains and it's the most tasty vegan food ever. Their grilled cheese and tomato are amazing and so is their cheesecake.

I could eat there everyday if my budget afforded it so I know exactly what you mean when you finally find a place. I hope there is someplace nice for you there in Salt Lake

When do you go?

I will be in the area in about 1.5 weeks. The thing about Loving Hut was that it was not expensive at all. Not too trendy and for better or for worse, it is a chain. I hate it when healthy food becomes a 'trendy' thing and businesses find it convenient to charge unnecessarily high(er) prices. Ugh. That's why I'm hoping there's some hole in the wall that continues to promote healthy dining w/o the 'trend-setting' prices. :p

• Like 2
It's been a much easier transition than I had thought it would be and I am actually loving just knowing I'm doing my part to show respect to all animal life.

I initially decided to make the change to help reduce inflammation in myself. I've developed some weird reaction to milk and other dairy products where consuming dairy physically pains me but now it's become beyond me and my selfish needs. I am glad to not be eating anything that causes the suffering of another life.

Can anyone relate? And if you have any great recipes or products you love, do you care to share?

I am vegan since 2011, I had to go that way too much chest and my left harm had some sort of pain after consuming pork-chops. Could because I use to weight 348 lbs and my wife was 400 lbs. Today I am physically fit at 180 lbs and me ex wife gone to 500 lbs in 2015. She had broken the NC rule. She said you look sick, not I look healthy. I did go down to 1/2 my weight 2 years ago to 154 lbs because the woman I was dating with driving me crazy. But at 154 lbs I was under weight. In the year of 2016 I added weight to tone muscles.

Today I watch my diet, eat healthy and I prepare Vegan Foods and created Homemade Vegan Food Plus Group on Facebook I try to share what I have learn also made some videos on youtube also. But there is nothing wrong with being a vegan. I feel wonderful and I don't see any doctor any more. I don't get sick and I don't have pain no more. I am also healer so that helps too. I so much more too. But I don't want to get off topic.

There is no need to eat dead animal, cavemen did it but why do we all still do Media is to blame for some. Big meat plants is another story. I don't eat process, chemical, red, blue, yellow dyes, corn syrup to replace sugar. Too much of that is in the food chain already.

Ice Cream another killer, you can make your own using 3 frozen banana chop and place in a food processor and add semi-sweet chocolate chips and oats and ice cubes if you want crunch non-dairy banana cream.

Vegan is the best way for me...

Edited by coolheadal
  • Like 2