Mind over matter... for the depressed. Thoughts?

anynomous34

I'm sure you all have read books/articles regarding Positive Psychology and the effects it has on the brain. For anyone suffering from depression do you find any benefits from practicing yoga or mindful meditation? Or visualization .. the whole mind over matter philosophy is sparking a change within me.

Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic but lately I've been forcing myself to get out more .. and go back to my "running days" so far I've been doing well. Although I still cry in my car at times.. i feel like i have a little more pep.. also I've upped my Prozac (per Dr's instruction) three days ago... The increase in dose should begin to take effect in a month.

I'm still a bit sad for the most part I can control it a little better now. Now I can go to the gym without feeling so tired and depressed... before I'd cry and go into my room and just mope around. Lately I've been praying more.. practice gratitude and have begun my workout regimen.. ran 6 miles 2 days ago and today ran 5 miles... not bad.

Despite being sad now it's like I've opted to treat myself like how it was when I was in the Army.. no choice just do it.. even if I'm wanting to cry while I'm running..I try to swallow it and keep running.

Any thoughts guys? I'd really like to get your experiences with trying all of these techniques ... I realize depression is a chemical imbalance .. and so are the studies mentioned which claim to over time rewire your brain .. I've also read about you brains ability to regenerate itself... from working out...

Workout

Yoga

Meditation

Visualization

Mind Over Matter - Positive Psychology

What's your take.. or your experience with any of these while suffering with depression?

Edited by anynomous34

I dont think Ive read any of the positive psychology books but I hate feeling depressed and since Ive been single the last couple of years Ive been really scared of it. So, when Im feeling down or a little out of control I make a point of shoring up the things in my life that I can control and a lot of the time I think that can save me from really feeling bad.

The areas I work on to keep myself out of danger are diet (i have diabetes and keeping my blood sugar in control helps my mood, but i think diet can make a big difference for most people), exercise (and I make sure I do it outside in the sun), keeping my apartment clean (my mood is always a lot better in a tidy space), and sleep (hardest for me bc I have insomnia). I also have a job where I can work extra whenever I want and sometimes making money will give my mood a boost, makes me feel like ive been productive.

If Im chewing on something thats making me feel bad, Ill usually give myself some limited amount of time to go with it and obsess over it if I need to, but after a day or two, I try really hard to move on. After that I remind myself that I can rewrite the event however I need to to feel better about it. Usually if its something making me feel terrible, I have already rewritten it in a way that hurts or punishes me, so I need to undo that and even overshoot in the other direction if that helps. I find that this really helps. Or if Im feeling bad about how someone's treated me, I really think hard about the fact that no matter how bad it looks, it probably really isnt about me.

I think telling myself these different narratives really makes a difference in how I feel beyond just seeing the facts in a better light. I have no doubt it makes some kind of a chemical impact. And it keeps me from supporting negative neural pathways while laying down and nurturing more positive ones.

• Like 1

My last therapist used to tell me to chose to be happy. I found that very frustrating. I wanted to scream -- if I can just chose to be happy WTF am I going on your couch cry & paying you $150 per session?!

I recently started CBT with a different therapist. She has me doing various exercises -- writing things I'm grateful for which forces me to look at the positives. She explained about exercise & endorphins. I had already had some experience using breathing / meditation / easy yoga for focus & to reduce anxiety.

I can't explain why any of that works but I'm experiencing the positive results. Good for you for running again. That has to be good for you. Keep it up.

• Like 2

I like your decision to just make yourself do it. I went through a long, very long depression and making yourself just do it is the best medicine, but I'm glad you have the luxury of Prozac because my stupid psychologist wouldn't put me on anything, though I desperately needed it. I accidentally found out how much better I could feel when a forward thinking doctor gave me a 3-week supply of amitriptyline to "turn of" a nerve signal, and at that time, that was experimental but now it's commonly used for that but was previously only used as a psychotropic. So at the end of three weeks, I found myself humming for the first time in several years, but then as the drug wore off, went back to depression. So I know firsthand that the right antidepressant on the right person can work miracles.

The best thing I did for myself while depressed was volunteering at the zoo. I'd never had time for something like that before and it greatly interested me, and it gave me something to talk to what few friends stuck by me about other than still being angry and depressed. So make yourself do something you know will bring you joy. the only other relief I had was annual river rafting, which brings me peace, and then what really kept me alive was my dog.

So reach out for those things which you know bring you peace or give you joy. Don't just stay in one place. You have to stimulate your brain in positive ways to lift it out of the dark places. Good luck.

• Like 2

When I was deeper into depression, I made myself exercise everyday even if it was just walking a few miles. I scheduled time to walk for an hour and listen to a podcast. As I started to feel a little better, I got back into lifting weights and rowing.

I also started reading, what I guess you call self improvement books such as (The subtle art of not giving a F***, Mindset, etc.) as well as other fiction and nonfiction books. I would write down sentences from the books that I found meaningful in a little notebook that i always kept on me. That way, anytime I felt super down or felt like breaking NC, I could reach in my bag and read a line or 2 in my notebook to help me cope. I would schedule 30 mins out of my day to read.

I have tried yoga as well (as a weight lifter, it was way harder than I thought haha) i ended up buying a subscription to a yoga site called Udayu that has various types of classes and meditation. I did find it easier to fall asleep when I did the meditation class. I think the thought of learning/trying something new brought me more joy than the yoga class itself. I felt productive by regaining previous my exercise routine, reading and doing yoga; overall being productive makes me happy at the end of the day.

• Like 3

When your mind gets in a rut of just about any kind, activity and momentum and making yourself put one foot in front of the other and making yourself go do fun things even when you don't feel like it is how you climb out of it. If you find you are incapacitated, you have to get help, of course.

• Like 1
truthtripper

I was in therapy for 20 years. At the end of it all I was still anxious and depressed-until I started practising a mind/body therapy called Feldenkrais. Before this I was going to yoga classes regularly, but imo Feldenkrais is superior. I have become so much more in touch with myself and have more mental clarity. It's really worth checking out. Like yoga, there are group classes as well as private.

HisDaughter

I’ve been told that physical activity is very necessary to feel better from depression. It’s very hard for some, but it’s what can help even more than medications, say the doctors who prescribe medications. The other things you mention, I’m not knowledgeable about them. Walking outdoors every day can help a lot and then you can have better abilities to think clearly and do additional things that can be very helpful too. I am so glad you have been running. How I wish I could run and keep myself active! You are strong and you are doing very good things! I hope God helps all of us!

• Like 1

Exercise definitely helps. I think having structure in your life, plans, goals, dreams, to work toward helps. A lot of the times I was really down I look back and realise I didnt have hobbies, or had let them go by wayside. I wasnt keeping busy. You give yourself a small pat on the back everytime you take one step toward a goal, its kinda like a self reward system to make yourself feel good - making them realistic is key. Dont expect everything all at once, any goal takes a huge amount of time and so does your recovery. just think, today im slightly more content than yesterday. and go off that.

• Like 1
todreaminblue

i have been diagnosed with clinical depression the one diagnosis i agree with....adn i have found yoga to be helpful if the depression has reached my immune system though i get really sick so exercise is out...stretches are not so i keep them up........meditation and prayer keeps me breathing ...and for me sleep.....which normally happens after i go deep meditation....i really want to clean my room...it does not help my depression i am unable to complete it though, my mum is going to help me....my books and movies i surround myself with when i am depressed mutate and multiply.....

i am baby sitting tonight...still sick..probably half way out of my depressive sinkhole.......but my granddaughter is happy we are going to make peanut butter and jelly ice cream together and i am so grateful she is so not demanding of me.....we watch a lot disney together....we talk....i read to her,peter rabbit aesops fables grimms fairy tales hans christian anderson.....cant really read aloud at the moment but hopin i can manage a few stories.....

i try to keep things simple i dont put demands physically mentally or socialogically on myself...i be my hermit self and i work on me feeling good...better...doing the backstroke instead of treading water....i look up cool stuff online ...collect things adn pictures and ideas...let mysefl have hope and dream....or try too....not living for or on the expectations or demands of others.....whati am really grateful is that people who love me know.....jus tto give me space to breathe and get better on my own....if i need help...i go to hospital....i concentrate mor eon art and on journaling....beign online....helping others being on here .....i steer clear of facebook more...because it hurts actually....to want to be like the families on facebook,travelling goign places havign a blast..... and me feeling bad for my kids....having a mother like me...makes me feel worse....for them....than i already do....

anyway..i am excited to be making peanut butter jelly ice cream..sad huh....puttign expectations on myself and me failing to reach them...is soemthing that i know can spiral me into a deeper abyss i am not willing to swim...so I try to not be so brutal....and just keep myself otu fo hospital....where i will gain weight with stuffed up meds...

ps i have also had tropical fishtanks all my life..big ones......theres somethign so soothign with water and fish.....oi often sit on here on loveshack with my laptop facign the fishtank...adn i look up and i cant help but smile at my fish...they look back at me and go yep ....she is fruity again.......i have an obsese pleco who has the most beautiful buddha belly...he has gotten so huge......deb

Edited by todreaminblue
Lately I've been praying more.. <snip>

I realize depression is a chemical imbalance ..

Given that you are already Calling upon your Higher Power for healing and resolution, you may find this article to be useful or informative,

Spiritual cause and cure for depression. As well, Letter 5, which can be downloaded from this page, speaks to "using enlightening affirmations in times of doubt [to]

cruise along in positive thoughts".

I do believe in the power of Mind over matter...but I also think that there is an actual science behind it. Whether we would call it 'quantum' science or 'metaphysical' science... ...who knows at this point?

Very best of luck.

HisDaughter

I’ve remembered that I’ve been advised to read out loud the book of Psalms (in the Bible) to help myself get relief from depression. I know that it helps a lot. Also, praying, speaking to God, has benefits. You can talk about how you feel and ask for help. There are times when I’ve called places to request prayer and it’s been a big blessing too. Hearing someone pray for me helps me a lot. May God help us all!