Do you think people actually change or just grow?

E-Squared

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I have read some articles online about how some people never change and such, but then I have read about how some people change their perceptions and grow as people.

Here is what I mean. I look back at all my years and while I maintain many aspects of my personality, I don't think that I am the same person as I was when I was, say, 21. During that time I was not in the best place in my life. I am in a better place than I was then, but I still have some of the same tastes that I did then. Then I look at how I was when I was a teen. I went through a phase and I cringe at what I went through. Hell, I can even see how I was in the past 2-to-5 years and some parts of me are a little different now than how I was then.

What do you think?

todreaminblue

i believe its is completely possible people change and that change is growth..change however can be in either direction...and that depends on the very heart of the person to begin with...deb

• Like 2
Arieswoman

E-Sq,

I don't think people change their basic personality.

However, I think that people do mature and "mellow" as they get older.

I learned to be more assertive as I got older. However, there is nothing to say that I might have grown up being assertive in the first place, if I hadn't had a verbally abusive mother.

It's a complicated subject.:)

Yes people can change but its super rare and its not normally until they hit rock bottom and the change won't come over night. I was always a super happy kid with tons of hobbies but when I became a teenager I developed a gaming addiction for the next couple of years I did nothing but always be negative. It wasn't until I was age 17 laying in bed weighing only 110lbs having a heart attack like event I was like wow I think I need to change. It took me 3 whole years to finally get over my gamimg addiction.

I'll be 21 in one month and I'm still recovering I'm in the process of getting back into my old hobbies and being happier in life.

I should also say my change didn't happen because I grew older it simply happened because I hated my life and the best years of my life flew past. Most of the people I played games with are now mid 20s and still play games their lifes have only gone backwards. Most of them still live at home with parents and have sucky part time jobs as pizza delivery drivers it's really sad :(

Edited by 4x4storm
truthtripper

People will only change if they really want to and they make the effort. The more self-aware a person is, the more able they are to change. It takes hard work to undo ingrained negative behaviours.

• Author
E-Squared
Yes people can change but its super rare and its not normally until they hit rock bottom and the change won't come over night. I was always a super happy kid with tons of hobbies but when I became a teenager I developed a gaming addiction for the next couple of years I did nothing but always be negative. It wasn't until I was age 17 laying in bed weighing only 110lbs having a heart attack like event I was like wow I think I need to change. It took me 3 whole years to finally get over my gamimg addiction.

I'll be 21 in one month and I'm still recovering I'm in the process of getting back into my old hobbies and being happier in life.

I should also say my change didn't happen because I grew older it simply happened because I hated my life and the best years of my life flew past. Most of the people I played games with are now mid 20s and still play games their lifes have only gone backwards. Most of them still live at home with parents and have sucky part time jobs as pizza delivery drivers it's really sad :(

Dude, you're only turning 21. You act like you have missed out on stuff. Besides, there is nothing wrong with playing video games. I mean, yes, you went through an addiction which is a very worrisome thing, but if those guys still play games and have other things going on, then I don't see an issue, unless they are not doing anything else.

Dude, you're only turning 21. You act like you have missed out on stuff. Besides, there is nothing wrong with playing video games. I mean, yes, you went through an addiction which is a very worrisome thing, but if those guys still play games and have other things going on, then I don't see an issue, unless they are not doing anything else.

Haha yeah I'm still very young but as I sit here I try to think of good memories as a teenager and I don't have any at all because I was always behind the computer. There is nothing wrong with playing a few games as I still do but since giving them up on daily basis my life has changed so much for the better. And that's what I was trying to get at.

I'm loving life without video games and each day I think on how I can change for the better.