So I just scoured the internet to find a therapist, and I sent an email requesting a consultation/appointment.

I've never really gone for just my own personal improvement and mental health, just couples therapy.

I'm hoping it's going to be worth it. I know in order to get the best out of it, I need to be an open book, be open minded to different perspectives and suggestions, etc...

I'm just wondering if anyone can share their experiences. Was it helpful? Are you happy you went/still attend? Any regrets?

• Like 1

I tried therapy. I enjoyed some parts of it, others not so much. My uni sent me to a guy linked to my professional program when I was struggling with my work. He was great on discussing school stressors and such. However, when I talked to him about the surprise end to my relationship, he made things worse. I never considered my ex would cheat on me and he planted that seed that still festers to this day. (I have no suspicions of any infidelity during the relationship and I had no right to ask and confirm after the break up. But man did I start questioning moments when I looked back).

Anyway, with recent new stressors I have considered going back to therapy (a different one). I found it helpful to vent and work through negative things with other people rather than family and friends. Friends won't see you as negative if you're not always coming to them for help and "deep discussions." I will say if one therapist doesn't work out, try another one. You gotta find someone you feel comfortable opening up to. (My second therapist was perfect but unfortunately due to a change in insurance I was unable to continue seeing her).

I've only been to one. I liked her but felt she hadn't "lived" enough to understand me at all. But it served a purpose of having someone to vent with.

Don't go if something makes you feel like you aren't comfortable with the therapist. Also, I'm really not into the therapists who don't talk and just want you to talk your way to mental health.

So first, google and research the different types of therapists and what the type of therapy each practices. Decide which one of those sounds best to you, and then find someone who practices that. You'll have to do some reading to understand the types and what it means.

ChanSummary

I have not gone into the same situation but I have known few people. Being with a therapist has a great impact and it helped improvements. Taking medicines as well will do. And one of the thing that help too is the people that surround you. Be with the people who are positive in life, try to join spiritual organization it will help you ease your anxiety. Good luck!

• Like 1