I've been doing them for years but now I've decided to schedule stuff in since I'm on this whole organization kick.

I've decided one day a week I'm going to put two hours in of concentrated beauty work but I'm going to schedule at least 30 min a day to help keep me more polished.

I've been watching youtube and getting great recipes. (It's something fun to do I suppose.)

Does anyone have a routine that they've been using with success?

• Like 2
Life lessons

What are you referring to, as far as beauty routine? Makeup? Contouring? Moisturizers?

I'm not much of a makeup wearer, although I have several products that are my go to for skincare.

My favorite products are:

Extra virgin coconut oil-organic----I use this from head to toe...even to brush my teeth and oil pull. Also makes a great mask when combined with honey.

Rose hip oil

Retin A is good for people of any age....above 20, if you can get a rx for it.

LED masks are great

Not certain if what I've posted is what you're asking!? My apologies if I didn't understand. Lol :)

• Like 3

I love getting facials. I try to get one done professionally once a month, but if I can't swing it that month, I will do it myself at home, usually on a Saturday morning (like now!). Other than that, I'm not very good at keeping up with "routines". I just suck at that. I always just do things as I feel like it or as the need comes up.

• Like 2

I agree with the above poster that you should be more specific with what kind of beauty routines you're asking about though. Otherwise this thread is going to go all over the place or people will be confused.

• Like 1
  • Author

My favorite products are:

Extra virgin coconut oil-organic----I use this from head to toe...even to brush my teeth and oil pull. Also makes a great mask when combined with honey.

Rose hip oil

Retin A is good for people of any age....above 20, if you can get a rx for it.

LED masks are great

I LOVE coconut oil and use it on my hair, skin and also do the oil pulling.

I've never done an LED mask. What is it?

• Like 1
  • Author
I love getting facials. I try to get one done professionally once a month, but if I can't swing it that month, I will do it myself at home, usually on a Saturday morning (like now!). Other than that, I'm not very good at keeping up with "routines". I just suck at that. I always just do things as I feel like it or as the need comes up.

I like to know what DIY skin care and hair care routines that have worked for others.

But "routine" is the key word. I'm looking to get a schedule together that incorporates my housework and beauty goals.

Right now I'm like you I just do this stuff once in a while but it's not scheduled. I have good success with coming up with homemade lotions and potions but I'm not disciplined. It's the same with going to the gym. I go when I go. No discipline.

• Like 1
Cookiesandough

What products do you use??

• Like 1

I'm not fond of makeup or much of anything so my beauty routine is washing my face, exfoliating and putting on a homemade moisturizer that's a mix of coconut, bergamot and vitamin E oils. It works as well as expensive moisturizers and doesn't break the bank. But don't use bergamot if you spend a lot of time outdoors since it can increase photo sensitivity in some. It doesn't bother me because I'm a homebody.

• Like 5
  • Author
I'm not fond of makeup or much of anything so my beauty routine is washing my face, exfoliating and putting on a homemade moisturizer that's a mix of coconut, bergamot and vitamin E oils. It works as well as expensive moisturizers and doesn't break the bank. But don't use bergamot if you spend a lot of time outdoors since it can increase photo sensitivity in some. It doesn't bother me because I'm a homebody.

I spend a pretty decent amount of time outdoors during spring, summer and fall and protect my skin with sunblock, wear a hat and sunglasses and dark clothes. I wish I wore sunblock when I was in my teens but I didn't. Now I never EVER leave the house without it all year long.

Here are my go-to products:

Coconut Oil

Avocado Oil

Almond Oil

Olive Oil

Lavender Oil

Dr. Brommers Lavender liquid soap

Vitamin E pills that I open up and use on hair, eyes and lips

Crest White Strips

These are all the products I really need for my routines that are currently unscheduled and all over the place. I want to be able to do this stuff even if I'm tired or in a bad mood.

• Like 2
I spend a pretty decent amount of time outdoors during spring, summer and fall and protect my skin with sunblock, wear a hat and sunglasses and dark clothes. I wish I wore sunblock when I was in my teens but I didn't. Now I never EVER leave the house without it all year long.

Here are my go-to products:

Coconut Oil

Avocado Oil

Almond Oil

Olive Oil

Lavender Oil

Dr. Brommers Lavender liquid soap

Vitamin E pills that I open up and use on hair, eyes and lips

Crest White Strips

These are all the products I really need for my routines that are currently unscheduled and all over the place. I want to be able to do this stuff even if I'm tired or in a bad mood.

The photo sensitivity problem that was mentioned was specific to bergamot and not necessarily other oils. It doesn't affect everyone, only some so that's why I added the cautionary.

Oh, forgot to mention that my last batch included some vanilla. The combination of scents is subtle since I don't use a lot of the bergamot or vanilla and the virgin coconut oil has only a mild scent. In other words you have to be close enough to sniff my skin. :p

When my b/f and I are together (we're LDR) we do a lot of hiking since we love it. I'd do more but am afraid to hike on my own and don't have any friends who enjoy it. That's when I use a moisturizer that's absent the bergamot, just in case.

• Like 2

How have I never seen this thread before?!?! :love:

For lips, its always eos lip balm. Its the highest quaility, reasonably priced lip balm I've ever used. I wear it 24-7 unless I'm wearing lipstick or gloss

I like to make my own skin treatments

One is an aspirin mask. Crush up aspirin, a little honey and a few tiny drops of water. Scrub it into the skin on your face and let it sit for 20 minutes. Then rinse it off with water. The acid in the aspirin is great for ocassional zits and it exfoliates wonderfully! My face feels like a babies butt after! :D

For my body I mix regular sugar with olive oil (or warmed coconut oil) and some essential oils like lavender. Scrub it all over the body (before shaving) and wash off with body wash. That scrub makes my whole body feel like a baby's butt!

Makeup! I could go on and on about makeup. I will say I'm not one for conturing. I have high cheek bones and a well defined jaw. I'm happy with my bone structure. Plus I dont want to look like a different person when I take my makeup off.

The Urban Decay Naked palettes are amazinnnnggg!!! A little pricey but they blend so nicely!! I love neutrals. I put a light, bright and shimmery cream on my eyelid and some darker, smokier colors in the crease for some depth. I've perfected the subtle (or not so subtle cat eye) depending on where I'm going. If I'm going on a date I dont go heavy with the eye makeup. Guys dont like the 'overdone' look. But I make sure my lashes are long. Guys love that ;)

Lips, I dont have any fancy lips sticks. But I hate the washed out neutral shades. They make women look like they're dehydrated or cyanotic. I go with pinks and some reds, maybe some fushias. Looks great with neutral eyes. Always top it off with gloss.

I dont wear a lot of foundation. Just a little concealer and translucent powder

Blush, I'll use a subtle shade of pink lipstick. Dot a little on and blend

Nails, I love putting coconut oil on my cuticles and hands. I usually do my nails myself. I never usually go with purples or greens. I stick with neutrals.

Hair, I love argan oil! If I'm doing lose waves I use frizz ease curl mousse. That stuff is great. If I'm wearing my hair straight, I just stick with a little hairspray for finishing

Ahhh cant think of anything else! :D

• Like 4

I like to rinse my hair with a 1:1 ratio of water and vinegar every so often. My hair is quite thick and sometimes gets this heavy feeling to it. The rinse makes it feel cleaner and lighter.

• Like 2
  • Author

For lips, its always eos lip balm. Its the highest quaility, reasonably priced lip balm I've ever used. I wear it 24-7 unless I'm wearing lipstick or gloss

One is an aspirin mask. Crush up aspirin, a little honey and a few tiny drops of water. Scrub it into the skin on your face and let it sit for 20 minutes. Then rinse it off with water. The acid in the aspirin is great for ocassional zits and it exfoliates wonderfully! My face feels like a babies butt after! :D

I have to try that!

For my body I mix regular sugar with olive oil (or warmed coconut oil) and some essential oils like lavender. Scrub it all over the body (before shaving) and wash off with body wash. That scrub makes my whole body feel like a baby's butt!

Just make sure you don't warm the oil up in the microwave it does something harmful to the oils.

The Urban Decay Naked palettes are amazinnnnggg!!!

I want to get the Basics2 palette. I love the matte colors and UD is cruelty free!

Hair, I love argan oil! If I'm doing lose waves I use frizz ease curl mousse. That stuff is great. If I'm wearing my hair straight, I just stick with a little hairspray for finishing

My hair is so frizzy. I need to get some argan oil. Thx for the tips!!!

• Like 1
Cookiesandough

This is what I've been doing so far as far as skincare. I have clear, combination skin that is dry in the mornings.

I start off with a shower (no face wash)

-I then tone with Skin Renewal Program daily clean toner AHA and BHA

-I use Mizon All in One Snail cream (not too impressed with this and still looking for an HG cream) as a light moisturizer

-Clinique pepstart for eyes

- Finish off with Aveeno daily moisturizer SPF 15 (Seriously the only I can use. Tried high-end and always return to this.

Tthen place whatever makeup

Night routine:

-Extra virgin olive oil as a makeup remover

-Use a damp cloth and warm water to remove excess dirt and oil

-Use rose hip oil and coconut oil as a night cream

I occasionally use an aspirin mask too. But not too much or it does dry my skin and make me break out. I tend to like to stay as natural/least chemicals as possible. I just bought some cheapy masks at some shops lol. I love Asian skincare for some reason and these all come from Asia. They're probably not the best for your skin, but they're fun and smell nice. They've been working pretty good too so far!

• Like 2
  • Author
This is what I've been doing so far as far as skincare. I have clear, combination skin that is dry in the mornings.

I start off with a shower (no face wash)

-I then tone with Skin Renewal Program daily clean toner AHA and BHA

-I use Mizon All in One Snail cream (not too impressed with this and still looking for an HG cream) as a light moisturizer

-Clinique pepstart for eyes

- Finish off with Aveeno daily moisturizer SPF 15 (Seriously the only I can use. Tried high-end and always return to this.

Tthen place whatever makeup

Night routine:

-Extra virgin olive oil as a makeup remover

-Use a damp cloth and warm water to remove excess dirt and oil

-Use rose hip oil and coconut oil as a night cream

I occasionally use an aspirin mask too. But not too much or it does dry my skin and make me break out. I tend to like to stay as natural/least chemicals as possible. I just bought some cheapy masks at some shops lol. I love Asian skincare for some reason and these all come from Asia. They're probably not the best for your skin, but they're fun and smell nice. They've been working pretty good too so far!

I've never tried rose hip oil but I'll buy some. I don't use fragrance perfumes anymore since reading EWG's literature on the horrors of fragrance. So essential oils are my new scents. I use to LOVE Ginger from Origins but after looking it up apparently it will give me cancer and all kinds of other stuff so now I don't use it.

This is what I did today:

Watched a youtube "Beauty Hack" video and tried this:

Banana Peel instead of Crest Whitestrip and it worked! Now I've got to go to Costco and get more banana's.

• Like 1

Good routine!

Regarding washed out lip shades - you mean like light beige? Ugh that *may* look good on someone with very stand out eye color, but even then it is questionable. I don't wear bright colors but there is a middle ground that is not in your face and doesn't make you look cyanotic haha.

Regarding contouring: I feel like it can be done very subtle but not many people are good at it and therefore the bad reputation...

Makeup! I could go on and on about makeup. I will say I'm not one for conturing. I have high cheek bones and a well defined jaw. I'm happy with my bone structure. Plus I dont want to look like a different person when I take my makeup off.

The Urban Decay Naked palettes are amazinnnnggg!!! A little pricey but they blend so nicely!! I love neutrals. I put a light, bright and shimmery cream on my eyelid and some darker, smokier colors in the crease for some depth. I've perfected the subtle (or not so subtle cat eye) depending on where I'm going. If I'm going on a date I dont go heavy with the eye makeup. Guys dont like the 'overdone' look. But I make sure my lashes are long. Guys love that ;)

Lips, I dont have any fancy lips sticks. But I hate the washed out neutral shades. They make women look like they're dehydrated or cyanotic. I go with pinks and some reds, maybe some fushias. Looks great with neutral eyes. Always top it off with gloss.

I dont wear a lot of foundation. Just a little concealer and translucent powder

Blush, I'll use a subtle shade of pink lipstick. Dot a little on and blend

Nails, I love putting coconut oil on my cuticles and hands. I usually do my nails myself. I never usually go with purples or greens. I stick with neutrals.

What is your age? Problem areas? Make up or just skin care?

I'm personally not into most of the DIY stuff unless you know the chemical composition & purification grade [e.g. food grade oils are not necessarily great for cosmetic use; some components do interact with each other etc].

Same for the commercial stuff: don't buy unless 100% aware of the function & concentration of the active ingredient.

Knowledge of basic physiology helps to make informed decisions: ask yourself

1) Is the active ingredient water soluble or oil soluble?

2) What is the size of the molecule - can it penetrate the skin barrier

3) Does it increase photo sensitivity? (If so - night use only)

4) Is it an allergen? (Spot test on the back of your arm)

5) Does it act as a physical barrier or via chemical reaction ? (matters for application; e.g. zink oxide as a sunscreen is acting as a physical barrier reflecting the UV light - so if not applied evenly - you are not protected)

6) How does the active ingredient interact with the rest of the stuff that you put on your face and/or medications that you use? (e.g. anti-dandruff stuff may seem innocent but it can change the activity of a medication that I'm taking)

Here is what I use (32, normal/combination skin, main concern: aging/sun damage)

Skincare:

-daily moisturizer with sunscreen (I like Shiseido)

-face wash

-exfoliant - Kate Somerville has a good chemical/physical combo; the crushed aspiring trick that Dis shared works great as well

-micellar water to tone and remove make up residue

-astringent tonic (I like to use this every other day or so)

-night cream with retinol

-eye cream (still figuring this out)

Hair care:

-I personally hate sticky styling products... So I avoid them

-shampoo & conditioner - I have tried a lot but I can't find ones that work great for my hair (long, think and wavy... Pretty much one regular bottle of conditioner suffice for 2-3 uses)

-heat protector when blow drying or using hot tools

Body: I just use regular shower gel alternating with exfoliating one, and daily sunscreen on any exposed skin

Make up:

-foundation: find one that looks good aka invisible - YSL, some Dior ones work wonders

- I personally do not use concealer because I can't find a seamless one. Same story with powder - I think a decent foundation works well without setting

- blush: whatever you like with the caveat: use a *great* brush if you use powder blush and don't want to look clownish - very light application and perfect blending is key

- I don't like using bronzer but sometimes contour with NARS Laguna

- Lipstick: I like pink-based neutrals, subdued reds (not a fan of the matte trend & liquid lipsticks... bullet ones can be mattified using eyeshadow or glossed up).

-Eyes: good mascara (any brand will do); I like liquid black eyeliner ; eyeshadows: use primer, and one basic palette. If you are not good at eyeshadows - don't mess around because it can look clownish (however, good base color + darker crease color make for a great natural look ).

-Highlight: use pale shimmer eyeshadow, the rest is just marketing...

-And last but not least: setting spray if you want it on for long time (I don't use setting spray if just going to work, but for nights out - UD)

• Like 2
RecentChange

I have found that a fairly basic skin care regime has my skin looking it's best.

I wash my face morning and night with Cetaphil (mild soap-less cleanser) - AM I buff my face with a silicone gentle exfoliating pad . Mornings I use a retinol cream with SPF. Evenings a night cream with retinol.

No more dry spots, no more uneven tone, no more break outs, just really smooth happy skin. And knock on wood, wrinkles are still at bey!

Body, I like super old school rain bath, and I do a oil / salt scrub once or twice a week.

Hair - I love Pureology products.

• Author
I have found that a fairly basic skin care regime has my skin looking it's best.

I wash my face morning and night with Cetaphil (mild soap-less cleanser) - AM I buff my face with a silicone gentle exfoliating pad . Mornings I use a retinol cream with SPF. Evenings a night cream with retinol.

No more dry spots, no more uneven tone, no more break outs, just really smooth happy skin. And knock on wood, wrinkles are still at bey!

Body, I like super old school rain bath, and I do a oil / salt scrub once or twice a week.

Hair - I love Pureology products.

Both me and my husband wash with CeraVe Hydrating Cleaner. (I just went on their website. I got a coupon. LOL)