Feeling depressed due to all the suffering in the world?

I am a 19 year old male and lately seeing all the current suffering in the world is really getting me down. I mean, it's heart wrenching at time and I constantly am seeing/reading of such horrors. I don't even feel like being 'happy' as I wonder how can I be when so many people are suffering right now. Honestly, I just don't know what to do with all these emotions. Any advice on how I feel?

• Like 1

"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other?" (Mary Anne Evans)

Do something to lessen one other person's difficulty today. Do more tomorrow. Leave the world a better place than you found it. You've probably got another 65 years or so. Don't get to the end of however long you've got and lament that there was so much suffering in the world and that you did nothing to lessen it.

Select a field of study and career that involve helping people, leaving them better off, not worse off, than when you first encountered them. Raise a family of caring individuals who will carry on when you are old and go the way of all mortal flesh.

• Like 1
RecentChange

I agree that helping others can boost your mood.

But I also think that one must have a certain level of disconnect to be able to navigate the world.

There is no more suffering now than there has been during other eras in history. The world can be a harsh and cruel place - but the world is also full of love, joy and beauty - the key is being open to seeing it.

I could either read the news, dwell about atrocities half across the world which I am basically powerless to influence - or I can go for a walk in nature and allow myself to be awed by the immeasurable beauty of it all.

The choice is mine.

Perhaps you need some tools on how to not focus and dwell on negative things which you can not control? Put yourself to good use helping where you can?

I would hate to see you suffer, simply because there is suffering in the world.

• Like 1

What you are experiencing is probably largely due to the 24hr news cycle and the 'echo chamber' algorithms which social media feeds us. The world has had significant issues since the year dot, but only now are we seeing people being so depressed because of the constant feed of such bad information. It's truly a modern malady.

Limit your access to news. Change your social media feeds so that you're not being bombarded with people who are angry about the world and all the sad stories. Of course, bits of information will still make it through, so it's not like you will be blocked off from the world....but minimising what you can will make a huge difference to your outlook.

• Like 1

You can't help everyone or fix the world by yourself. Instead, help a few others in need. Maybe help a frail senior cross the street or if you have some leisure time, volunteer at a soup kitchen.

The more caring people show they care by helping a few in need, the more likely others will join in to help.

Watch this guy. He found a kitten in a tied plastic bag in a garbage can. So he saved the kitten and cared for it overnight until the shelter opened the next day. A small but significant act of kindness.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
RecentChange

No, I don't think you would be then ignoring other people's plights.

And let's say you read about something terrible. What ACTION do you take? Do you do something to make a difference, or merely feel bad about it?

If you are concerned about others, and have guilt about it, why not get involved in something you CAN make a difference about?

Maybe a local soup kitchen or food bank. Perhaps a youth group, maybe some other sort of community outreach program.

That way not only would you not be ignoring the plight of others, but making a difference - which would make you feel good, rather than feeling guilty about something you read about, but have very little ability to influence.

• Like 1
d0nnivain
I was wondering, if I don't read the news, doesn't it mean I am ignoring the plights of people?

No. Find some good deeds you can do locally. Read the starfish story:

While walking along a beach, an elderly gentleman saw someone in the distance leaning down, picking something up and throwing it into the ocean.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, picking up starfish one by one and tossing each one gently back into the water.

He came closer still and called out, “Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?”

The young man paused, looked up, and replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean.”

The
old
man smiled, and said, “I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?”

To this, the young man replied, “The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them in, they’ll die.”

Upon hearing this, the elderly observer commented, “But, young man, do you not realise that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can’t possibly make a difference!”

The young man listened politely. Then he bent down, picked up another starfish, threw it into the back into the ocean past the breaking waves and said,
“It made a difference for that one.”

My therapist cautioned me not to be a sponge, absorbing all the world's problems. Instead be a white board -- let others throw as much garbage at you that the need to, it will color your world for a short time but at the end of the day you erase it all & start fresh with a clean slate every morning.

• Like 3
whichwayisup
I am a 19 year old male and lately seeing all the current suffering in the world is really getting me down. I mean, it's heart wrenching at time and I constantly am seeing/reading of such horrors. I don't even feel like being 'happy' as I wonder how can I be when so many people are suffering right now. Honestly, I just don't know what to do with all these emotions. Any advice on how I feel?

Stop watching the news and reading stuff online. Try to remember all the good in your own life. Appreciate life because as you know something bad can happen to anyone at any given time... It's not good to obsess about all the crappy and bad stuff...

It is awful that there's so much suffering in the world but you can donate, be proactive and do something that will make a difference in someone's life.

whichwayisup
I was wondering, if I don't read the news, doesn't it mean I am ignoring the plights of people?

No it means you're trying to stay happy and healthy by limiting negative exposure in your life. Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 2
bluefeather

You can help, Gundam. I felt similarly when I was your age. Don't let the depression and anger and fear consume you. Change that into positive energy - to empathy, compassion, and love. Older generations have helped to reaveal the issues, now the younger generations can help heal them. Use your youthful, creative mind to find new ways to bring peace and joy to others. Be that light in the darkness and show others that they can be too. You are part of the next version of humanity. Help bring a better world to all of us.

truthtripper

Hi Gundam, if you think about it, it's the unresolved problems of individuals which give rise to the problems of the world. We can all help by looking at our own problems and finding ways to resolve them. Also, we can't help others if we are not able to help ourselves.

• 2 weeks later...

You are obviously passionate about certain issues if you feel so much empathy. You can see this as a burden or you can see it as a gift and a sign toward your future career path. Its rare to find many people these days at your age with so much empathy, I hope you are able to channel these feelings, this energy toward a calling of helping others. I am only saying this as someone who experienced exactly the same feelings most of my life and have been lucky enough to channel this to work in a field i am passionate about

• Like 1
pureinheart

I can totally relate to what you are saying and agree with robaday.

I used to stuff the feelings of hurt for others, but then found if I said prayers for them a release did take place.

The abuse of animals is what rips my heart out, so I pray and treat my own dogs the best I possibly can...

Please remember, there is a reason for this level of compassion..

Madame_Noire

I know what you mean, I have noticed in the news, especially with online newpapers that the people that comment usually say things like what about the people in this country or that country. It is a depressing world we live in.

Even if there is a bit of good news, there is always someone who has to comment in the relevant section saying 'who cares?' It's very commonplace now.

I got like that a few years ago when LA police wouldn't jail Mel Gibson for the threats and bile he spewed at the mother of his child. I really did. I got depressed for two months and disgusted.

The only cure is to go do things that will remind you there is abundant good in the world. For me that means go to the zoo, work with pet rescuers, get involved in the community and in supporting police or veterans and those who selflessly serve others out of goodness. Go volunteer for a charity. Google your town name and "volunteer" to find lots of things you can do for just an hour or two a week. Go do the things you love most.

If you find you can't get out of your depression, time to see a doctor and get treated. Good luck.

Yes. In fact, I do that usually when someone I don't like is in the White House because it makes me upset every day, but who can take their eyes away from THIS circus.

What you do for media is watch funny movies you love, or tv shows that are funny. I mean, seriously, just find stuff to make you laugh. My dog and cat gave me a lot of joy and love when I was depressed for a long time. Really don't know how I'd have been without them. Read funny books. If you have a friend who cracks you up, hang out.

I wonder is this all feeling like depression or is there any anxiety thrown in? Like are you scared and nervous?

Also, make yourself exercise to keep the stress from ruining your body and that will make you feel better in time a little bit too.

If it's something in particular in the news that's bothering you, also just consider taking a more active role in working against it. You know, if it's politics, become active working for the other side in some volunteer capacity. If it's world hunger, get involved with an accredited nonprofit and do some fundraising for them or whatever. Make yourself useful!

I want to just add that there is something about being your age that makes people prone to get very disgusted with the world. I think it's because they're no longer sheltered from it and paying attention to the sad news of the day for the first time. It's a time when people lose their idealism, and that is sad. But it's a cusp of time which creates activism and social change, so it has its purpose. You will probably become less sensitive about it eventually. And always remember nothing is as simple or one-sided as it looks. World problems are infinitely complex and ongoing.

Edited by preraph
  • Like 1

Do your best to make your world better and don't be a part of the problem. That is all you can do.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

As you get older, you realize that there is so little in your control, even if you did nothing else but try to change the world..

Be good to your fellow man, don't get caught up in either the hating or the hand wringing, because both are just roads to nowhere..

TFY