I want to be better with my finances

I didnt really know where to post this. But hopefully someone has something to say.

So I have been addicted to shopping. And I have credit cards that Im trying to pay off. I always start well but then something happens and I start from zero again.

E.g. i was off to great start and then I had to pay 3 months for extra taxes and it broke my paybacks again. I have no savings. Nothing. Just some shoes and bags I never use. I have tried selling them. But there is not much luck. I rent. I dont have friends or family to help me ouy on this. No more loans for me either. I calculated that. Its better (cheaper) to pay off credit cards than one loan.

My plan is to be debt free after 4 years. Starting now.

But I dont know what to do. I know literally everything of budgeting and how to do it. I just never manage to do it in practise. Everything else in my life is good. But I just need to fix this money issue.

I am currently looking for new job only because I need more money to pay off my debts faster and also to be able to eat and save money. I know I am lucky in that sense. I have brains and education and career.

I am like that shop a holics woman from the movie. Just today I found shoes I didnt even remember buying from my closet. I know my problem.

Now I just need some advice. And dont say stuff like put away money every month etc. Because its not working for me. I have tried everything that has to do with budgeting. Its not helping. From envelopes to stuff like that. Right now I have no possibility to save. And Im not sure what or how to cut off. I think most of my money goes to food and bills.

bathtub-row

I think the first thing you should do is take this issue very seriously and realize that the path you're on is the path to heartache and destruction. The fact that you don't have anyone to fall back on is just another reason for you to wake up and deal with this from a mature perspective. Forget what everyone will or might think of you. It doesn't matter. What does matter is that you're the one who will have to live with your choices - day after day. Being broke and in debt is a seriously bad place to be in.

You see, it shouldn't matter that something unexpected comes up -- you should be in a position to deal with that. That's the mind-set you need to have in order to make anything work. If you can't change how you think about money and if you can't stop acting like things happen to you and your money, instead of you being in control of them, this monster will be at your heals until the day you die (and you'll die poor).

If women were half as smart and protective of their money and assets as men are, they would be far better off. I'm not saying all women are irresponsible and I'm not saying all men are responsible but, in general, men are very protective of their money and women are much less serious about it.

As far as I can tell, the best money program out there is Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace program. He may have something different by now. I haven't been to his site in awhile. The reason I like his program is because he tells it like it is; how the credit card companies market to people and suck them in; how you're sucked into the game and don't even know it's happening. They even market to children because they know those children will come to trust their "brand" and will be consumers one day; or will even push their parents to buy, buy, buy right now. My sister calls credit card companies drug pushers. And that's pretty much the truth. As soon as you realize that you're behaving like a programmed machine every time you buy on a whim, then maybe it'll piss you off enough to stop doing it.

Back in the old days, it was shameful to be in debt. And it's too bad that way of thinking disappeared. We buy cars that cost a fortune, we're taught to think in terms of monthly payments instead of actual cost -- which often goes way beyond the price tag. We've become numb to all of it.

If you talk to people with money, you'll notice one thing that's pretty consistent across the board -- they're very protective of it and they don't piss it away. What you're doing when you buy things you can't afford is you're pissing your money away, and your financial stability along with it.

Please don't say that you can't follow a program because you can -- and you should. Dave Ramsey's program has helped thousands get out of debt and have money in savings. You must get this situation in hand if you're to have any peace of mind. Financial problems are not entertaining and there's no glory in poverty. Ramsey's course isn't a basic budget plan, it's actually something livable and changes the way you think about money. That's why it works for so many people. But you must do it or you won't benefit from it.

When my son was around 16 or so, he wanted a checking account but I suggested to him that he use cash for about a year. He told me a few years later that that was the best lesson of his life. I knew that using a card would numb him to the idea that he was using his cash; cards are just numbers running through your account. He said it was much harder to part with his cash than to slide a card through a machine. You see, the irresponsible people are the ones who end up living paycheck to paycheck, and the responsible ones are the ones who live off the actions of the irresponsible ones.

I personally blame the schools and marketing for the massive money problem in our country. The things I call The Big Three - money, relationships, and children - are all but ignored in our schools. So, yeah, parents can teach their children about money but how do they teach them what they don't know? The world of 'drug pushers' don't want you to wise up but you must and you must understand that they couldn't care less if your first-born starves to death while you pay your credit card. They simply don't care what buying into their scheme does to you. Once you understand the system, you'll be much less likely to get sucked into it. Also, don't ever underestimate how much power you hand over to someone else when you keep yourself in debt and when you have no savings. As the saying goes, "Money means you have options." When you don't have money, you have very few, if any, options, and you're often at other people's mercy. Not a good place to be AT ALL.

If you have a huge amount of debt, you may want to consider filing bankruptcy and starting all over. That's a drastic move but if you're in debt up to your gills, then it may be the best thing to do.

Sorry if you feel lectured to but this is a real hot button for me. Too many people are living way beyond their means and they pay for it by stressing during their young years, and having nowhere to turn when they're older. In no way, shape or form is this amusing or entertaining. Then you hear stories of some woman who made only $20k a year and ended up with millions because she was a genius at managing her money. It's not about how much you make -- it's about what you do with it. Become a genius and your life will be so much better for it.

And, need I say it, if you're single, do not EVER, EVER, EVER allow anyone - even your boyfriend - to have access to your money. I don't care if he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, or if you're engaged with a $40,000 ring on your finger -- do not ever let anyone have access to your money unless you're married to them. Even then, I'd exercise caution.

• Like 4
  • Author

What I meant by following a program is that right now it feels impossible to do anything since I have no extra money and everything goes to paying off debts and bills. And whenever I do budget its almost impossible to hold on to it.

But I did went to see that Daves web site and it seemed to have some good input and ideas. I have already cut back on many things. Last year I didnt even cut my hair for 6 months. I am avoiding eating out etc.

I dont think its a question of my motivation or means to do this per se. But something else. Im trying to figure out what it is.

As I said I know how to do budget but there is something in my head that stops me actually folowing it.

I dont know if this makes any sense.

Truth is I dont want to continue like this.

• Like 1

It's really hard to help without knowing the specifics - the extent of your debt, your salary, how much you spend on each budget item per month etc. But this being an open forum, I completely understand why you wouldn't want to disclose it.

Do you have a trusted friend who's good with finances whom you CAN disclose all of that to and ask for help?

bathtub-row

Yes, I understand. It's your mind-set and that's what you'll want to change. But I think you'll have to do it by rote before it becomes a built-in habit that feels normal. It's like going on a diet, losing all the weight, and then going right back to the way you ate before. But if you maintain that weight for a year, it changes your body's set point and it becomes very difficult to gain weight after that. It's the same with money. Force yourself to have good habits and, after awhile, it will seem crazy to you to spend money as you have in the past.

Don't pre-judge Ramsey's program and think it's all about budgeting; that if you don't have the money to pay your bills, it won't work. His program is specifically designed for people exactly in your position and he has a game plan that works.

• Author
It's really hard to help without knowing the specifics - the extent of your debt, your salary, how much you spend on each budget item per month etc. But this being an open forum, I completely understand why you wouldn't want to disclose it.

Do you have a trusted friend who's good with finances whom you CAN disclose all of that to and ask for help?

2.5 years with set amount of payments and I should be debt free. So its not impossible in that sense. But I do feel like 1. **** up 2. Im in hopeless situation. 3. Im tired of this struggle.

I dont have anyone I would like to talk about this.

The problem is that even I all the time do my absolute best to pay off there always comes "something" that ****s it all up.

• Author
Yes, I understand. It's your mind-set and that's what you'll want to change. But I think you'll have to do it by rote before it becomes a built-in habit that feels normal. It's like going on a diet, losing all the weight, and then going right back to the way you ate before. But if you maintain that weight for a year, it changes your body's set point and it becomes very difficult to gain weight after that. It's the same with money. Force yourself to have good habits and, after awhile, it will seem crazy to you to spend money as you have in the past.

Don't pre-judge Ramsey's program and think it's all about budgeting; that if you don't have the money to pay your bills, it won't work. His program is specifically designed for people exactly in your position and he has a game plan that works.

Exactly! And I keep beating myself up that when I e.g. got my yearly bonus I spent it on travels instead of paying off. So thats what I want to change. How can I live in a way that I dont spend anything extra.

I know in the next couple of months I will get bonuses again and I will be able to pay off huge amounts.

But Im worried I will end up using that money too.

Its like I am not able to control myself.

Thats the problem.

• Author

Its also so frustrating to think that even if during the next two months I will pay off around 1400 euros to 2300 euros. Its still only like 70 euros per month more to use on other things e.g. food. So I need to orientate my mind to see the positive in having 70 euros per month more than e.g. travelling for that 1000 euros and not paying off.

bathtub-row
Exactly! And I keep beating myself up that when I e.g. got my yearly bonus I spent it on travels instead of paying off. So thats what I want to change. How can I live in a way that I dont spend anything extra.

I know in the next couple of months I will get bonuses again and I will be able to pay off huge amounts.

But Im worried I will end up using that money too.

Its like I am not able to control myself.

Thats the problem.

Seriously, I hate to keep pushing it but Ramsey's program is what you need. And he's very entertaining. You're smart to recognize this as a problem -- now you just need to take the next step. You'll get to where you see the big picture instead of focusing on all these issues that are part of something bigger.

• Author

I have plans. Im selling my stuff. I have had 3 job interviews. Im all the time looking for new job. With new job I can easily earn 1k euros per month more minus taxes. Im also planning on selling my art online. And I have told my friends I wont be going to dinners or travelling etc.

Eternal Sunshine

Many years ago, I had some version of this problem. For me, the main reason was to get to the bottom of why I needed to shop. It was to fill some kind of emptiness and cure boredom. I got a temporary high from shopping and wasn't like I actually needed anything. In my case, the blessing and the curse was that I liked high end designer items so they kept the resale value (I was able to sell most).

Are you able to get some kind of line of credit account where you can pay off all the credit cards and have one debt with a lower interest rate? I am surprised that you say that loans wouldn't work. In Australia, most credit cards have about 20% interest rate per annum and an average unsecured bank loan is about 13%, way lower for a secured loan. I would speak to a bank before you even start with budgeting, just to make sure you are getting the absolute lowest interest rate possible for your debt.

I will always have a tendency to shop so right now I put away some amount of money from every pay into a shopping account and just spend from there. Quitting cold turkey never really worked. I still spend too much on shopping from most people's standards but right now I can afford it and save. It may not always be like this. I managed to get to the "controlled shopping" stage rather than "chaotic impulsive shopping".

Edited by Eternal Sunshine

Fruitee, I admire your desire to fine a new way to manage your finances. I think your desire is the first, and most important step in changing to a new lifestyle. Awesome job in doing that alone!

I feel like, at the base of your spending there are emotional, spiritual, and physiological factors that are affecting your desire to spend. It seems like buying "stuff" is filling an emotional/spiritual hole, and it's possible that your mind does get a bit of a high when you do it, like the way an addict gets a high.

It's good to know how to budget and desire to manage your money better. But do you think that it would be wise to address the base reasons for your spending, too? First, if there are any support groups that help people with over-spending, you could work with others who understand exactly what you're going through. Also, if you feel any emotional holes in your life, could you talk to a therapist about how to work towards a more fulfilling lifestyle? And finally, do you have any spiritual beliefs? Could you talk to a pastor/clergy member about your concerns and ask for prayer?

Although I don't have this exact problem, I can relate in other ways. And the best thing I've found that has lead to real change in my life is prayer and knowing God.

Best of luck to you! Let me know if you need any prayer :)

(:love:Jesus is love:love:)

NEVER shop impulsively: if you see something you like, write down the price. Sleep on it. Run the numbers through your budget. You may lose the desire to buy it by then.

No matter how small your income is, you CAN save. 5 dollars from each paycheck - IMMEDIATELY in savings account with restricted access. It is the habit, not the amount.

I was on a PhD student salary (low) and forced myself to put exactly 1/3 of my income (post-tax) in a saving account every. single. time. No exception - even if I find 10 bucks on the street - 3.33 goes to savings. If I needed the money - I'll act like I'm 'lending' myself from my savings account. That way my bills were payed but I kept myself feeling 'guilty' if I had to 'borrow' from my savings account too much. The result was I saved 5 figures on my crappy PhD student salary. I went into 6 figures of savings within a few years after. It is the habit, not the amounts that matter.

I didnt really know where to post this. But hopefully someone has something to say.

So I have been addicted to shopping. And I have credit cards that Im trying to pay off. I always start well but then something happens and I start from zero again.

E.g. i was off to great start and then I had to pay 3 months for extra taxes and it broke my paybacks again. I have no savings. Nothing. Just some shoes and bags I never use. I have tried selling them. But there is not much luck. I rent. I dont have friends or family to help me ouy on this. No more loans for me either. I calculated that. Its better (cheaper) to pay off credit cards than one loan.

My plan is to be debt free after 4 years. Starting now.

But I dont know what to do. I know literally everything of budgeting and how to do it. I just never manage to do it in practise. Everything else in my life is good. But I just need to fix this money issue.

I am currently looking for new job only because I need more money to pay off my debts faster and also to be able to eat and save money. I know I am lucky in that sense. I have brains and education and career.

I am like that shop a holics woman from the movie. Just today I found shoes I didnt even remember buying from my closet. I know my problem.

Now I just need some advice. And dont say stuff like put away money every month etc. Because its not working for me. I have tried everything that has to do with budgeting. Its not helping. From envelopes to stuff like that. Right now I have no possibility to save. And Im not sure what or how to cut off. I think most of my money goes to food and bills.

• Like 1
Step 1. Cut up your credit cards.

She better stop using them but keep them open, because decreasing her credit limit will increase her debt/credit ratio and ruin her credit even further.

amaysngrace

Pay the smallest debt off first rather than paying all of your creditors just a little. Give each creditor maybe 10 or 15 percent less and throw it all to the smallest debt so that you can pay that off. Then tackle the next smallest debt. If one charges a very high interest that should also be paid off sooner than those with lower rates.

And cut up your cards except for a versatile one that you can use in a pinch if you must but generally if I don't have the money in the bank I know I really can't afford to have it.

• Author

--

Are you able to get some kind of line of credit account where you can pay off all the credit cards and have one debt with a lower interest rate? I am surprised that you say that loans wouldn't work. In Australia, most credit cards have about 20% interest rate per annum and an average unsecured bank loan is about 13%, way lower for a secured loan. I would speak to a bank before you even start with budgeting, just to make sure you are getting the absolute lowest interest rate possible for your debt.

I will always have a tendency to shop so right now I put away some amount of money from every pay into a shopping account and just spend from there. Quitting cold turkey never really worked. I still spend too much on shopping from most people's standards but right now I can afford it and save. It may not always be like this. I managed to get to the "controlled shopping" stage rather than "chaotic impulsive shopping".

I have talked to my bank and there is one loan i could take to pay off my credit cards but i did the calculations and its not cheaper.

1. My student loan has smaller expenses so its cheaper to keep as is instead of combining with credit cards.

2. For credit card i pay 3 % back. With one loan it would be set monthly fees. So i would be paying off loan longer than credit card and no extra money to use per month. End of year i will have 100 euro per month more to use with paying off credit card. With set loan payments i would always have as little as now.

• Author
Pay the smallest debt off first rather than paying all of your creditors just a little. Give each creditor maybe 10 or 15 percent less and throw it all to the smallest debt so that you can pay that off. Then tackle the next smallest debt. If one charges a very high interest that should also be paid off sooner than those with lower rates.

And cut up your cards except for a versatile one that you can use in a pinch if you must but generally if I don't have the money in the bank I know I really can't afford to have it.

I have read about that and right now its not possibility. Hopefully next year.

2.5 years with set amount of payments and I should be debt free. So its not impossible in that sense. But I do feel like 1. **** up 2. Im in hopeless situation. 3. Im tired of this struggle.
Is the plan written down? Xxx to xxx on xxx and yyy to yyy on yyy, etc, etc. I found this helps. I kept mine on a legal pad.

I dont have anyone I would like to talk about this.
Yeah, most folks don't want to hear it they've got their own problems or they're rigid in a plan and get frustrated when you're not following their plan ;)

The problem is that even I all the time do my absolute best to pay off there always comes "something" that ****s it all up.

Yep, that's part of we make plans and life happens.

I recently ended the killing off of about six figures in debt I took on when caregiving and getting divorced and it was often really tough and I still live with an empty pantry and refer and scrutinize even the smallest of expenditures. I'm doing my taxes right now and added up the cost of money for the last year and, not including mortgage interest, it was nearly nine grand. Just seeing that is a good impetus to not revisit it again in this lifetime.

Laying out an example, if you've got three credit cards and your minimum payment is 100 Euros on each, or so, find the one with the highest interest rate and that one is where you direct any discretionary extra payments first. The others leave alone and pay minimum.

Anything over double the minimum on the highest rate card and take half and put in your savings account you say you have nothing in.

What I do is use an old DRIP (dividend reinvestment plan) I had from my oil and gas days with a company called Exxon-Mobil and put as little as 50 bucks in there at a time to buy stock in the company. Most recently, I put in 250 bucks. Doesn't seem like much but it all ads up. XOM is pretty much like a bank since oil is stable long-term and it has done real well for me over the decades. However, any stable savings vehicle is fine. Savings are what help when the unexpected hits that you mentioned prior.

If you haven't used it (stuff) recently, sell it. Yeah, I know stuff doesn't bring much. Remember the plan is to get debt-free. Think of every asset you sell and pay off that interest suck with is like a premium on the sale price. I get that it's tough when you have few assets but there's always something we can do without.

Find a cheaper place to live. I did this in a big way, moving out of high cost of living California to way cheaper Oregon. It's breathtaking how big the difference is. Mind blowing. You don't have to do anything like that, merely move into cheaper rented digs, even if they're not the image you have for the ideal. I bought the cheapest place with good bones in the best neighborhood I could find that met my needs. Simple, nothing to advertise, but it's paid for and cheap to keep. All part of the plan. Your plan is your plan but an efficient place to live is a big part of it. Heck, rent a room from a friend or go live with family until the debt is paid. Whatever you need to do.

Think long term. Not just when the debt gets paid but 10 years, 20 years down the road. What do you want in life? What I did with my plan is decide where and how I wanted to die, since I'm older, then made choices to implement that. What's your plan?

Good luck!

Listen to Dave Ramsey online. Pull up Audio Archives on his website and listen to the previous day's calls. There is something in those calls for everyone.

Follow his baby steps. Change your behavior. Break your habits. His advice and his radio show can help you. I listen to him religiously. I never had a big problem with spending but I've followed him for years. I don't make a whole lot of money but when you know where your money is going, you'd be surprised how much money you actually have.

• Like 1
I think the first thing you should do is take this issue very seriously and realize that the path you're on is the path to heartache and destruction. The fact that you don't have anyone to fall back on is just another reason for you to wake up and deal with this from a mature perspective. Forget what everyone will or might think of you. It doesn't matter. What does matter is that you're the one who will have to live with your choices - day after day. Being broke and in debt is a seriously bad place to be in.

You see, it shouldn't matter that something unexpected comes up -- you should be in a position to deal with that. That's the mind-set you need to have in order to make anything work. If you can't change how you think about money and if you can't stop acting like things happen to you and your money, instead of you being in control of them, this monster will be at your heals until the day you die (and you'll die poor).

If women were half as smart and protective of their money and assets as men are, they would be far better off. I'm not saying all women are irresponsible and I'm not saying all men are responsible but, in general, men are very protective of their money and women are much less serious about it.

As far as I can tell, the best money program out there is Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace program. He may have something different by now. I haven't been to his site in awhile. The reason I like his program is because he tells it like it is; how the credit card companies market to people and suck them in; how you're sucked into the game and don't even know it's happening. They even market to children because they know those children will come to trust their "brand" and will be consumers one day; or will even push their parents to buy, buy, buy right now. My sister calls credit card companies drug pushers. And that's pretty much the truth. As soon as you realize that you're behaving like a programmed machine every time you buy on a whim, then maybe it'll piss you off enough to stop doing it.

Back in the old days, it was shameful to be in debt. And it's too bad that way of thinking disappeared. We buy cars that cost a fortune, we're taught to think in terms of monthly payments instead of actual cost -- which often goes way beyond the price tag. We've become numb to all of it.

If you talk to people with money, you'll notice one thing that's pretty consistent across the board -- they're very protective of it and they don't piss it away. What you're doing when you buy things you can't afford is you're pissing your money away, and your financial stability along with it.

Please don't say that you can't follow a program because you can -- and you should. Dave Ramsey's program has helped thousands get out of debt and have money in savings. You must get this situation in hand if you're to have any peace of mind. Financial problems are not entertaining and there's no glory in poverty. Ramsey's course isn't a basic budget plan, it's actually something livable and changes the way you think about money. That's why it works for so many people. But you must do it or you won't benefit from it.

When my son was around 16 or so, he wanted a checking account but I suggested to him that he use cash for about a year. He told me a few years later that that was the best lesson of his life. I knew that using a card would numb him to the idea that he was using his cash; cards are just numbers running through your account. He said it was much harder to part with his cash than to slide a card through a machine. You see, the irresponsible people are the ones who end up living paycheck to paycheck, and the responsible ones are the ones who live off the actions of the irresponsible ones.

I personally blame the schools and marketing for the massive money problem in our country. The things I call The Big Three - money, relationships, and children - are all but ignored in our schools. So, yeah, parents can teach their children about money but how do they teach them what they don't know? The world of 'drug pushers' don't want you to wise up but you must and you must understand that they couldn't care less if your first-born starves to death while you pay your credit card. They simply don't care what buying into their scheme does to you. Once you understand the system, you'll be much less likely to get sucked into it. Also, don't ever underestimate how much power you hand over to someone else when you keep yourself in debt and when you have no savings. As the saying goes, "Money means you have options." When you don't have money, you have very few, if any, options, and you're often at other people's mercy. Not a good place to be AT ALL.

If you have a huge amount of debt, you may want to consider filing bankruptcy and starting all over. That's a drastic move but if you're in debt up to your gills, then it may be the best thing to do.

Sorry if you feel lectured to but this is a real hot button for me. Too many people are living way beyond their means and they pay for it by stressing during their young years, and having nowhere to turn when they're older. In no way, shape or form is this amusing or entertaining. Then you hear stories of some woman who made only $20k a year and ended up with millions because she was a genius at managing her money. It's not about how much you make -- it's about what you do with it. Become a genius and your life will be so much better for it.

And, need I say it, if you're single, do not EVER, EVER, EVER allow anyone - even your boyfriend - to have access to your money. I don't care if he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, or if you're engaged with a $40,000 ring on your finger -- do not ever let anyone have access to your money unless you're married to them. Even then, I'd exercise caution.

Absolutely! I know I just posted about Dave Ramsey but I cannot stress his plan or his talk show enough. His word is gospel to me. The best thing about his plan? It works.

She better stop using them but keep them open, because decreasing her credit limit will increase her debt/credit ratio and ruin her credit even further.

That's a good point, though may work differently in different areas/countries.

What I did was track my FICO as I made changes to see what the changes did to the credit score. I had an old grandfathered credit monitoring service from Equifax from my loan committee days that I would update the FICO and credit report on quarterly or, lately, monthly, watching how things went.

As you mentioned, percentages are important. Generally, with FICO in the US, holding on to the oldest credit lines and those with the highest available helps the scoring as the ratio of utilization changes as debt gets paid. What I'm doing right now is cutting the newest credit lines in half, meaning lowering the credit limit by half, and watching the results. The goal is to phase out the newer and unneeded lines in favor of older lines and then move on to those, cutting the limits down over time. This may not be an issue for the OP, IDK, but having an aggregate of six figures out there in available isn't something I want or need and lenders don't particularly like it either. Still, as a baseline, the FiCO is well into the 800's so I'll see how the strategy works.

It sounds like the OP has a good job and income so it's just a matter of changing their spending habits. Not easy! When things got tough for us my now exW still wanted the prior lifestyle that we couldn't afford and I was willing to meet some way to the middle but had no problem getting frugal; she did so moved on to a guy who better matched up. That's how life goes. If the OP is married to their lifestyle and can't see things as fluid and that it's OK to sacrifice to meet goals, then that's how things will go. They've got plenty of company in the world. We love our stuff and, oh yeah, traveling. OP, you wanna learn how to travel cheap? :D Ha, ha, not right now, got debts to pay off. You'll make it.

• Author
Fruitee, I admire your desire to fine a new way to manage your finances. I think your desire is the first, and most important step in changing to a new lifestyle. Awesome job in doing that alone!

I feel like, at the base of your spending there are emotional, spiritual, and physiological factors that are affecting your desire to spend. It seems like buying "stuff" is filling an emotional/spiritual hole, and it's possible that your mind does get a bit of a high when you do it, like the way an addict gets a high.

It's good to know how to budget and desire to manage your money better. But do you think that it would be wise to address the base reasons for your spending, too? First, if there are any support groups that help people with over-spending, you could work with others who understand exactly what you're going through. Also, if you feel any emotional holes in your life, could you talk to a therapist about how to work towards a more fulfilling lifestyle? And finally, do you have any spiritual beliefs? Could you talk to a pastor/clergy member about your concerns and ask for prayer?

Although I don't have this exact problem, I can relate in other ways. And the best thing I've found that has lead to real change in my life is prayer and knowing God.

Best of luck to you! Let me know if you need any prayer :)

(:love:Jesus is love:love:)

Thanks!

Well I used to be unhappy and depressed which led me into this situation. But thats not the case anymore.

I have managed to fill my life now with more meaningful things.

• Like 2
  • Author
NEVER shop impulsively: if you see something you like, write down the price. Sleep on it. Run the numbers through your budget. You may lose the desire to buy it by then.

No matter how small your income is, you CAN save. 5 dollars from each paycheck - IMMEDIATELY in savings account with restricted access. It is the habit, not the amount.

I was on a PhD student salary (low) and forced myself to put exactly 1/3 of my income (post-tax) in a saving account every. single. time. No exception - even if I find 10 bucks on the street - 3.33 goes to savings. If I needed the money - I'll act like I'm 'lending' myself from my savings account. That way my bills were payed but I kept myself feeling 'guilty' if I had to 'borrow' from my savings account too much. The result was I saved 5 figures on my crappy PhD student salary. I went into 6 figures of savings within a few years after. It is the habit, not the amounts that matter.

I know that even couple of euros help. But thats not still really the problem. I know how to save. Its the execution Im having difficulties with. Right now Im not buying anything. Just food and stuff like that.

• Like 1