My cat of 14 yrs is missing

bathtub-row

I'm so heartbroken. I moved about 3 wks ago and my kitty was loving the place. This past Friday at around midnight, I noticed him sitting in my office chair. I haven't seen him since. My cats have a pet door so they go in and out as they please. I live in an apartment that backs up to a green space. People are often walking their dogs, etc. But between midnight and 7:00am, not many people are around. My cat is very leary of strangers, too, so he would be difficult to catch. I'm watching all the shelters, put signs out, checked the apt I moved from (one Bldg over), etc. He's also microchipped and was wearing a collar with a tag.

I live in a very wooded community and someone suggested that an owl might've captured him. The very thought kills me. I'm just so sad. Is there anything else I can do that any of you can think of? I'm considering getting a drone to look for him. :(

And, please, no lectures about the pet door. He was going nuts in my previous apartment that was upstairs in a noisy area. He hates not being able to go outside and, yes, I understand the risks but it doesn't make me any less sad. He was loving his new place.

I can only imagine how you're feeling.

If I were you, I'd do a public FB post asking if people have seen him. And ask for those in your vicinity to share the post.

• Like 1

Can you track him with the microchip?

You can also try this site: https://foundpets.homeagain.com/

Otherwise... Hope for the best. I had cats coming back after days, not always but it has happened a few times. He may have got lost since it is a new place and he's old.

Also - warn all your neighbors. Someone could be keeping in the 'poor lost kitty' while you're losing your brain looking for him.

I'm so heartbroken. I moved about 3 wks ago and my kitty was loving the place. This past Friday at around midnight, I noticed him sitting in my office chair. I haven't seen him since. My cats have a pet door so they go in and out as they please. I live in an apartment that backs up to a green space. People are often walking their dogs, etc. But between midnight and 7:00am, not many people are around. My cat is very leary of strangers, too, so he would be difficult to catch. I'm watching all the shelters, put signs out, checked the apt I moved from (one Bldg over), etc. He's also microchipped and was wearing a collar with a tag.

I live in a very wooded community and someone suggested that an owl might've captured him. The very thought kills me. I'm just so sad. Is there anything else I can do that any of you can think of? I'm considering getting a drone to look for him. :(

And, please, no lectures about the pet door. He was going nuts in my previous apartment that was upstairs in a noisy area. He hates not being able to go outside and, yes, I understand the risks but it doesn't make me any less sad. He was loving his new place.

Heavily wooded area..hmm..is your cat still pretty agile? Or could be if spooked?

We lost one of our cats for 3 days - she was mine and I was disdraught.

We ended up hearing one feint meow and went looking up in the trees behind where we lived and she had obviously got spooked and climbed it but couldn't get back down.

if your area is heavy with trees it's worth a good look upwards.

• Like 1
  • Author
bathtub-row
I can only imagine how you're feeling.

If I were you, I'd do a public FB post asking if people have seen him. And ask for those in your vicinity to share the post.

Did that. Lots of people saw it and helped me share it.

• Like 2

After a move and being in three weeks, my cat went missing all day and I was frantic and found her right out the back door hiding in a barrel. Be sure and just look under every bush. Go out late at night when it is quiet and call and then listen carefully. They don't usually roam far.

• Author
bathtub-row
Can you track him with the microchip?

You can also try this site: https://foundpets.homeagain.com/

Otherwise... Hope for the best. I had cats coming back after days, not always but it has happened a few times. He may have got lost since it is a new place and he's old.

Also - warn all your neighbors. Someone could be keeping in the 'poor lost kitty' while you're losing your brain looking for him.

The chip is only good when someone takes them into the vet or animal shelter. They check for it right away. It's not trackable like GPS. I'll check out that website but it seems like I've been to it. I thought it was just homeagain.com. I can't be sure -- I've been on so many of them and a lot of them want money. The neighbors have been notified. I'm even notifying the people who bought my home last year, in case he tries to go back there. We were there for 13 yrs. I moved to an apt after selling my house, and we were there for about 9 mos, then I stayed in the same complex but moved to a downstairs apt in a quieter area. He was so happy to be able to get out again. And he should have some idea of where he is.

As far as his age is concerned, you'd never know how old he is. He's agile and spirited. That makes me feel good that you've had cats that have returned. This is so unlike him. I miss him so much.

Ask the people in your neighbourhood to check their sheds and garages. My cat was once locked in a neighbour's garage for 2 days without them realising.

Also, phone around your local vets and shelters, someone may have taken him there.

Good luck, I really hope you find him. I know what you're going through and it's horrible.

• Like 1
hippychick3

I'm so sorry. I have no other suggestions. But I've heard so many stories of cats gone missing for weeks or months and then just showing up again. I hope you find him :(

• Author
bathtub-row
After a move and being in three weeks, my cat went missing all day and I was frantic and found her right out the back door hiding in a barrel. Be sure and just look under every bush. Go out late at night when it is quiet and call and then listen carefully. They don't usually roam far.

Maybe it's something like that but I've honestly looked in every possible spot within 100 yards. I just can't imagine him being away from his family deliberately like that. I hope that's what he's doing and I hope he comes back soon. But I think my other cat would know and would seek him out. I call him every evening for dinner like I always did. I'm just so scared that I'll never see him again.

I have gone out late at night several times, and early morning. It's as though he has simply vanished. Thank you for your words, though. They give me some hope.

I looked into buying a drone today but I was told that it probably wouldn't help in finding him because drones aren't good with detail. Anyway the good ones are at least $500 so that seemed a little extreme. I also dropped off a letter to the people who bought my house -- just in case kitty tries to go back there. It would be quite a hike for him but you never know.

I cried my heart out last night. I miss him so much. :(

• Author
bathtub-row
I'm so sorry. I have no other suggestions. But I've heard so many stories of cats gone missing for weeks or months and then just showing up again. I hope you find him :(

Thank you for that. I hope it turns out that way.

• Author
bathtub-row
Ask the people in your neighbourhood to check their sheds and garages. My cat was once locked in a neighbour's garage for 2 days without them realising.

Also, phone around your local vets and shelters, someone may have taken him there.

Good luck, I really hope you find him. I know what you're going through and it's horrible.

It really is horrible. He has a chip so a vet or shelter will check for it and contact me. Now that you mention it, though, it wouldn't hurt to call a couple of them. I'll do that tomorrow. Thank you.

amaysngrace

I'm sorry. It's horrible what you're going through.

I hope he's just exploring his new world or something.

• Author
bathtub-row
I'm sorry. It's horrible what you're going through.

I hope he's just exploring his new world or something.

Thank you.

• Like 1

As far as his age is concerned, you'd never know how old he is. He's agile and spirited. That makes me feel good that you've had cats that have returned. This is so unlike him. I miss him so much.

Just remember, if he has shot up a tree he may not be able to get back down himself. My Dad and our neighbours spent and entire day coaxing and with ladders of all sizes up that tree to rescue my cat.

My Dad was furious (so he said)- but he persevered as he was also a closet softy! :)

(((HUGS)))

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hope he turns up soon. Cats can be very resilient, so don't give up hope.

• Like 1

So sorry you're going through this... I really hope you find him.

I also don't have the heart to keep my two cats indoors as they love it outside, but it causes a lot of stress as I always have to keep tabs on them.

Have you put up posters yet? Call each and every vet in your area - maybe someone has taken him there.

Good luck!

I am sorry you are going through this it is so worrying.

You need to get posters put up in the area with a picture of your cat on..

Put leaflets through people's doors asking them to check their sheds and outbuildings.

Take an ad out in the local press.

Get on local radio if you can and ask for information.

Check all the local vet's, rescue centres, animal sanctuaries etc.

Good luck and I hope pussy comes home soon. :)

• Like 1
  • Author
bathtub-row
Just remember, if he has shot up a tree he may not be able to get back down himself. My Dad and our neighbours spent and entire day coaxing and with ladders of all sizes up that tree to rescue my cat.

My Dad was furious (so he said)- but he persevered as he was also a closet softy! :)

I've checked the trees and have seen no sign of him. But there are areas with thick brush and trees that seem to be about 50'. I've called and listened. Nothing. I'm terrified that it's something like this and if he can't escape, he'll die.

• Author
bathtub-row
(((HUGS)))

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hope he turns up soon. Cats can be very resilient, so don't give up hope.

Thank you.

• Author
bathtub-row
So sorry you're going through this... I really hope you find him.

I also don't have the heart to keep my two cats indoors as they love it outside, but it causes a lot of stress as I always have to keep tabs on them.

Have you put up posters yet? Call each and every vet in your area - maybe someone has taken him there.

Good luck!

Agreed. When they love going out, it's very hard to keep them in. He was going crazy in our former apt where it was too noisy and busy and he was afraid of going out. About 2 wks before I moved, he was starting to venture out, despite all the noise and activity, but I held him back because I knew we'd be in our new place and it would be much better. There are a ton of squirrels and birds all around us and my other cat, who's more like an alley cat (streetwise), has been having a ball. The kitty that's now missing was also enjoying it but stayed close by. He's not as bold as my other cat so it's really unlike him to venture off. I can tell that my other cat misses his brother and he follows me whenever I go looking for him, meowing as we go. It's all really sad. Things seem so empty without him around.

Posters were the first things I put out. They're all over the place and they're in sheet protectors so that they don't get pounded by the weather. A lot of my neighbors mentioned that they remembered seeing him looking out the back door. He did that a lot and people noticed him because he's really pretty. If he has been stolen by people in the apartment complex behind me (which is a possibility), then there's a chance that I'll eventually spot him sitting by the window.

• Author
bathtub-row

Do any of you think it's possible that he went off to die? He wasn't showing any signs of being sick but, given his age, I guess it's possible.

BTR,

No, I have never known of any cats do this. If they are feeling "out-of-sorts" they become more "clingy" if anything.

I'm sorry you have no news yet.... x

• Like 1
vanhalenfan

I'm so sorry to hear this! I hate to hear of stories like this...I know exactly how you feel. It's happened to me many times, but usually has a happy ending...Longest time it's happened was a week. It was awful!

There is still hope, keep looking. The time my kitty was gone for a week, he just showed up out of no where on my back porch, purring away, like nothing happened. It's like he took a little vacation or something..:rolleyes:

I will be praying for you and your kitty. What is his name?

• Author
bathtub-row
I'm so sorry to hear this! I hate to hear of stories like this...I know exactly how you feel. It's happened to me many times, but usually has a happy ending...Longest time it's happened was a week. It was awful!

There is still hope, keep looking. The time my kitty was gone for a week, he just showed up out of no where on my back porch, purring away, like nothing happened. It's like he took a little vacation or something..:rolleyes:

I will be praying for you and your kitty. What is his name?

That's really good to hear. I sure hope it turns out that way. His name is Oreo.

Last night, as I was drifting off to sleep, I had a type of flash dream about him. He was suddenly in the living room but seemed really confused. The dream shocked me so much that I abruptly woke up. That was really strange.