Dealing with an Eating Disorder?

I am trying to determine if there actually is a disorder here:

My GFs daughter is very over weight. GF only buys healthy foods, has her enrolled exercise classes and sports programs. She also talks about making healthy choices...

This kid eats almost non stop (slight exaggeration), she sneaks food, is asking for dessert before she finishes her meal and is constantly saying she is hungry.

They spent the weekend at my place (which has more snacks and junk food around) and I thought I was going to go crazy with all the food talk and the sound of cabinets opening and closing!

Childhood eating disorders are incredibly complex. I would strongly suggest sticking to the advice of adolescent health/mental health professionals.

Ignore any advice from those who have zero qualifications in nutrition or child psychology.

• Like 5
  • Author

I think the girl plays me to some degree because I am easy going and was initially unaware of the situation.

When we are alone she asks for snacks and if we are out she always wants to stop to treats. I used to give in because I was "new" but need to do a better job of saying no to junk and fast food.

Its unfortunate because its a bonding experience at the same time and I would do this with my kids for a "treat".

• Like 1
Childhood eating disorders are incredibly complex. I would strongly suggest sticking to the advice of adolescent health/mental health professionals.

Ignore any advice from those who have zero qualifications in nutrition or child psychology.

Agreed! Additionally, she's not your child. Keep unsolicited advice about how others should handle, deal with, or raise their children to yourself.

What you can do is get rid of all the junk food in your own house. :)

Edited by angel.eyes
  • Like 3
  • Author
Agreed! Additionally, she's not your child. Keep unsolicited advice about how others should handle, deal with, or raise their children to yourself.

What you can do is get rid of all the junk food in your own house. :)

Absolutely on the advise - just trying to get some insight into a situation that is new to me.

I have two other growing kids in my house so I will continue to have snacks on hand. I do not buy junk food but I do have snacks (pretzels, chips n salsa, granola bars, ice cream, soda only on rare occasions) and a lot more comparedly between the two places.

When I know she is coming over I will be sure to have healthy alternatives on hand and not have sugary desserts like I did last time (it was a holiday / special treat).

Edited by Otter2569
  • Like 1
Life lessons
I am trying to determine if there actually is a disorder here:

My GFs daughter is very over weight. GF only buys healthy foods, has her enrolled exercise classes and sports programs. She also talks about making healthy choices...

This kid eats almost non stop (slight exaggeration), she sneaks food, is asking for dessert before she finishes her meal and is constantly saying she is hungry.

They spent the weekend at my place (which has more snacks and junk food around) and I thought I was going to go crazy with all the food talk and the sound of cabinets opening and closing!

My child was this exact way! I would find empty wrappers in her bedroom all the time...pushed under or beside the bed. She was a tad overweight as well. This lasted for approximately 1.5-2 years. Then I started noticing a drastic weight loss...she had developed an eating disorder. I went through hell with everything involved to pull her out of this. She met with a Nutrionist weekly for quite a while. I had to put locks on cabinets and the refrigerator.... I wish you luck and hope this child gets the needed help.

• Like 2
  • Author

Her mother has brought her to a Nutritionist and works to keep her active. There is also an element of making good choices built in.

It doesn't help that she sneaks food and always seems have her eye on the sugary junk.

I have Xmas candy and a bag of chips that my kids have zero interest in. I actually quit buying sugary crap for Easter because they really don't eat it. in fairness they would suck down soda and ice cream like nobodies business which is why I buy in moderation.

Her mother has brought her to a Nutritionist and works to keep her active. There is also an element of making good choices built in.

It doesn't help that she sneaks food and always seems have her eye on the sugary junk.

I have Xmas candy and a bag of chips that my kids have zero interest in. I actually quit buying sugary crap for Easter because they really don't eat it. in fairness they would suck down soda and ice cream like nobodies business which is why I buy in moderation.

What does the nutritionist say about the psychology and body chemistry behind the girl's choices?

• Author
What does the nutritionist say about the psychology and body chemistry behind the girl's choices?

I don't know. This was before we began spending a lot of time together and before I began to really tune in to her eating habits. If it comes up in conversation I will definitely be sure to ask.

• Like 1
  • Author

Her mom is very conscientious about the girls eating habits and food consumption.

I was the fun guy who was easily persuaded to bend the rules and let her buy a snack when we were out. Now that I see its a possible issue I have toned it down and need to find a healthy alternative to bagels with cream cheese and frapacinos with caramel sauce and whipped cream (one time).

The kid is pretty persuasive...I have to give her credit :o

Food addictions are no different than being a heroin addict. She will do whatever it takes to get those sugary foods. I worked with a few people who were very addicted. It got so bad that they couldn't hardly function as a person.

They seek out enablers like yourself. If anyone has seen the show Intervention, they know the rule is to totally cut them off. Food is a tough one because it's readily available, not illegal and we all need it to survive. She has a very tough road ahead of her.

Getting her involved in busy fun activities might be your best contribution to her recovery.

• Like 4
curiouslysearching

The last sentence in the second paragraph above ^ is TOTALLY true

in my opinion. I would bet a lot of eat "less" when they are really

busy and engaged. I have no STATS on that view it seems logical

to me.

• Author
Food addictions are no different than being a heroin addict. She will do whatever it takes to get those sugary foods. I worked with a few people who were very addicted. It got so bad that they couldn't hardly function as a person.

They seek out enablers like yourself....

Now that I am aware of the problem I have totally cut back on my enabling. We talk about making good nutritional choices. My kids don't have this issue so going for treats or stopping for snacks was something we did when we were / are out and about...I cant be doing that I this case.

Her mom is very concerned about her eating and her weight and brings her to a nutritionist. She is also going to enroll her in counseling. Its not just sugary foods because her mom doesnt buy those. She will eat 6 peanut butter sandwiches, a loaf of bread and a tub of mashed potatoes...

• Author
She is probably using food to cope or soothe herself. Therapy would be a good idea.

It probably has to do with her parents divorce but that's just my opinion

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Since I have been tuned in I realize that all this kid does is eat and talk about food or being hungry.

We have actually had 3 instances in the last week where the kid got bitchy at me over food (her mother gave me a taste (spoonful) of her dinner while we were out at a restaurant).

The kid was like a puppy dog when I had a sugary snack (we each got a fat free cupcake. I saved mine for the next day). It was ridiculous the way she curled up on the couch with me, put her head on my shoulder and looked at me with big sad eyes until I offered her a bit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author

*UPDATE*

There have been a few instances of the kid taking food, sneaking off to her room and eating it. Also lying about food ("I'm saving these cookies for my friend". And then they go to her room only t disappear...).

Her mom and I recognize the problem and are going to bring her to see a therapist.

PS - we do not buy junk food but it is everywhere: she got the cookies from a school dance and ate the leftover jar of frosting (from a birthday cake that we made for a friend).

ChanSummary

Is she Obesse? Did your girlfriend tried to consult her daughter into a nutritionist? Try it, it might help. That young lady needs more discipline and more moderation with the help of her mother. At first, it is difficult and it takes a little time and it is hard also for the kid. Her weight might result into complications so it needs proper discipline in the amount of food she's taking.