Not sure if this is the right place for this.

Through an indepth discussion with a friend who suffers from it and endless internet research I have self diagnosed myself with anxiety. I have made an appointment with my doctor for Friday but I'm just looking for some other tips to help manage anxiety? The overthinking, the horrible uneasy feeling, the panic attacks.

I'll take any help I can get

• Like 1
Simple Logic

Through an indepth discussion with a friend who suffers from it and endless internet research I have self diagnosed myself with anxiety. I have made an appointment with my doctor for Friday but I'm just looking for some other tips to help manage anxiety? The overthinking, the horrible uneasy feeling, the panic attacks.

If the loan company was trying to repo my car, the landlord was evicting me, and my credit cards were all denied, I would suffer from a lot of anxiety. Yet I know people it does not phase at all. I also know people who would worry themselves senseless that a credit card payment they mailed two weeks early wasn't going to be delivered on time.

Some rational anxiety is a good thing, too much irrational anxiety isn't. Are you worrying over events you have no control over? Mentally stop and ask yourself, "can I effect a change, if I cannot effect a change of the circumstance, how is worrying about it going to change the events? Worry/fear are not solutions to events.

Edited by Simple Logic
  • Like 2

'Anxiety' is another name for fear.

More exactly, it's repressed fear try to push itself into your conscious mind, from its origin point in the subconscious.

Rather than trying to push the fear away, its useful to identify and name your fears.

"If we answer the question - what is the anxiety trying to tell me - we begin to address the cause. This may mean some change in the way you life your life, but this change does not necessarily mean that you become less competent, or less valued, rather, it means that you begin to value the wisdom of your psyche more than before. By addressing the causes of the anxiety and making lifestyle changes, the anxiety should diminish, having achieved its goal - leading you towards a more full, balanced lifestyle."

Source

Take care.

• Like 4

Hi Kayley,

I've suffered from severe anxiety as well and a combination of a few things helped me quite a lot. I still feel anxious from time to time, but not as extreme anymore (with panic attacks etc.).

What I did was:

- I went to therapy for a few months (my therapist helped me realize I had some very unhealthy thinking patterns and how I could work around them)

- My GP had prescribed me a low dose of Xanax (I only took it when I was away from home and really needed it. I never took one when I was feeling anxious at home)

- Running (I started running about 2 to 3 times a week and slowly built it up to 30min runs. It really helps me feel stronger and more empowered)

- Meditation (I try to do a quick 10-min meditation every day and though I always feel unfocused during the first half, I'm always calmer afterwards ;-) I think the benefits of meditation would be greater if I spent more time doing it though)

Best of luck! You're not alone :)

Jen

• Like 1
  • Author
Hi Kayley,

I've suffered from severe anxiety as well and a combination of a few things helped me quite a lot. I still feel anxious from time to time, but not as extreme anymore (with panic attacks etc.).

What I did was:

- I went to therapy for a few months (my therapist helped me realize I had some very unhealthy thinking patterns and how I could work around them)

- My GP had prescribed me a low dose of Xanax (I only took it when I was away from home and really needed it. I never took one when I was feeling anxious at home)

- Running (I started running about 2 to 3 times a week and slowly built it up to 30min runs. It really helps me feel stronger and more empowered)

- Meditation (I try to do a quick 10-min meditation every day and though I always feel unfocused during the first half, I'm always calmer afterwards ;-) I think the benefits of meditation would be greater if I spent more time doing it though)

Best of luck! You're not alone :)

Jen

Thank you :) I have my GP appointment on Friday so I'll see what advice I get there. I'm just really keen to find some ways to manage this because it's been controlling my life for too long.

I started trying meditation last night so I'll keep going with that and see if it helps. I like walking but find sometimes it helps and sometimes it makes it worse. I may try running though. Getting out may be helpful too.

Thanks very much for the advice :)

whichwayisup

Daily yoga. go on you tube, there are tons of great videos.

Have you thought about counseling? Cognitive behavioral therapy is aimed for those who suffer from anxiety disorders, depression etc., ask your Dr about it, though I see your appt was yesterday.

Don't be afraid of feeling the anxiety, holding it in makes it worse. Anxiety and panic attacks can be really scary so when you have one, call a friend. distract yourself by putting on music and deep breathing. Or even doing yoga stretches will calm you down.

Write down your anxiety ridden thoughts, it helps.

• Like 1
whichwayisup
Thank you :) I have my GP appointment on Friday so I'll see what advice I get there. I'm just really keen to find some ways to manage this because it's been controlling my life for too long.

I started trying meditation last night so I'll keep going with that and see if it helps. I like walking but find sometimes it helps and sometimes it makes it worse. I may try running though. Getting out may be helpful too.

Thanks very much for the advice :)

Having someone walk with you when you're feeling anxious is helpful.

Meditation is a great idea and as i suggested above, yoga!

Anxiety sucks, so I feel for what you're going through.

• Like 1

I have Anxiety. It's a lot better when I'm getting plenty of exercise and eating healthier (so cutting out a lot of sugar, refined carbohydrates etc). I make sure I'm eating regular enough meals so I don't get a blood sugar spike. I also take vitamins which are recommended in this book I use. The kind of exercise I enjoy is running or swimming but there may be others you enjoy. I try to manage my time better when I'm getting really anxious and I try and distract myself and stop myself wallowing in it.

• Like 1
  • Author

The exercise thing is a definite target for me. I'm going to get into walking/running a couple of times a week and build it up from there. My diet is pretty shocking so I think I need to try paying closer attention to that and making sure I eat regular meals because I can be bad for just having coffee or something quick. I never really thought of that as having an impact.

thecrucible, I may have a look at that book as well.

Will also give yoga a try, thanks for that suggestion whichwayisup.

My appointment isn't until Friday this week, my doctors is a nightmare for getting appointments so I'll definitely discuss therapy.

Thanks very much for all the advice :)

• Like 1

I used to do lots of yoga when my anxiety/depression was at its worst. It helped.

Also try going on youtube and doing a search for Eckhart Tolle. I find it soothing to listen to him. Thoughts and feelings are not who we are and are not reality.

Good luck with your appointment.

• Like 1
Justanaverageguy

So a a few question first before offering solutions.

What do you think is the source of your anxiety ? IE: Is this something you have always struggled with or did this start at a particularly stressful point in your life or after a specific event ? Is it made worse by specific activities such as your job ? You mentioned over thinking .... is this normally related to a specific topic that you continually get stuck on ? Have you experienced any great trauma's in your life ? Tragedy close to home - abuse - or similar type incidents ?

There are numerous areas you can work with to improve or minimize the symptoms of anxiety. Diet, exercise, yoga, meditation, massage etc etc etc. If its particularly bad then medication can also be an option.

But from personal experience unless you get to the root cause of the anxiety and deal with it these will only be coping mechanisms that help you to manage it. Often we may not be consciously aware of the cause .... it may be linked to something a significant period in the past or sometimes it might be something very obvious like simply working too hard and not taking care of ourselves. Medicating to block the "symptom" may not be healthy in the long run and could actually make it work unless you do the work to get to the cause.

If you have experienced a significant emotional trauma I highly recommend a practice called TRE (Tension, Trauma release excercises). Its similar to yoga, shares some postures and body poses but is specifically targeted at releasing trapped emotional traumas from the body that can lead to stress and anxiety disorders.

Edited by Justanaverageguy
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Author

I meant to come on here and reply a while ago but I don't know. I've been trying to power through, pretend things were okay even when they weren't.

My doctor diagnosed me with anxiety and also thinks I have slight depression. He prescribed me anti-depressants which made me feel so awful that I decided not to take them. I have spoken to him about that and he's okay with me investigating other avenues first.

There's a local team called Doing Well and I've had a phone assessment with them and I'm now on a waiting list for an appointment. Supposedly they offer up to 8 sessions with different mental health professionals depending on whats required and look at CBT strategies. Both them and my GP gave me some websites too so I'm trying to do that kind of thing.

I would say my anxiety is something I've always struggled with. It gets worse when there are certain things going on in my life but it's been there for a long time. My over thinking can be related to a specific topic, right now it's my ex, when things are bad at work it's that or if I think I've upset someone...and so on...

Anyway, thanks very much everyone for all your help :) I'm having a bit of a rubbish day today so finding it hard to articulate myself properly

Don't do meds unless you absolutely have to. I'm glad you're now looking into CBT. Trust me, it'll help you so much with your anxiety. As I mentioned before, daily exercise, yoga and deep breathing will also help you feel better.

I know that constant state of anxiety, that awful feeling especially when a panic attack hits! CBT really saved me as well as just learning all I could about it, talking about it with friends and family that I could rely on and trust (aka feel comfortable and safe). Inbox me anytime if you need some more support.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I've delt with anxiety most of mt life.

Meditation and yoga are good long time plans to manage anxiety but personally, I find that trying to meditate my way out of a panic attack just makes it worse..

Someone suggested I try this when the anxiety is turning into a panic attack

-name 5 things you can see

-name 4 things you can touch

-name 3 things you can hear

-name 2 things you can smell

-name 1 thing you can taste.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Oh I agree, while having an anxiety attack, meditation does not work! Best is the let the panic attack happen, fighting it makes it worse.

• Like 1

Also, OP a lot of people are going to tell you a bunch of stuff about whether or not you should take medication. Really the only person you should listen to is your doctor, so please keep that in mind.

Oh I agree, while having an anxiety attack, meditation does not work! Best is the let the panic attack happen, fighting it makes it worse.

I find that doing something to take my mind off of it usually works. Like repetitive games on my phone (Bejeweled, bubble trouble and such)

• Like 1