Has anyone ever suffered a concussion?

I fell face first on New Year's morning, sliced my chin and ended up at the emergency room.

Being that I was under the influence of alcohol I have a lapse of memory. Not sure if I blacked out for a few minutes. That or..I have a head injury.

I looked up symptoms to watch for. Since it's been less than 24 hours i expect to have a headache, feel sluggish, delayed thoughts, and my jaw hurts/head. They treated the chin wound at the hospital, but didn't do any brain scans. They did ask if my head hurt; I was still tipsy at the time so I said no..didn't feel much of anything.

I'm starting to worry myself and wondering how long I should wait until I decide if I need to pay a visit to the doctor again. Has anyone dealt with this?

Edited by HorseLuck

You said you expect to feel XY and Z, but do you feel any of it??

It's been a *very* long time since I had a concussion... But I immediately started throwing up and was rushed to the hospital, where they did some xrays and stuff. But again... this was around 30 years ago and I was under 5.

If you are worried, before going to the doctor, call a helpline. Most countries have them, for non emergent cases, where a nurse or doctor will triage you according to symptoms and tell you whether you need to go to the ER or to your GP.

• Author
You said you expect to feel XY and Z, but do you feel any of it??

It's been a *very* long time since I had a concussion... But I immediately started throwing up and was rushed to the hospital, where they did some xrays and stuff. But again... this was around 30 years ago and I was under 5.

If you are worried, before going to the doctor, call a helpline. Most countries have them, for non emergent cases, where a nurse or doctor will triage you according to symptoms and tell you whether you need to go to the ER or to your GP.

Yea, experiencing what I mentioned and can't sleep for long. Thank you, I'll try what you suggested.

If you have symptoms, then definitely call a doctor (it's always better to call, if that kind of service is available, than to go to an ER just for the sake of it and risk being there a whole day, waiting). You shouldn't ignore a head trauma if things are not right.

• Author

^ I've been trying to find a triage nurse and I've had no luck in my state. Don't have a general practitioner atm, and keep getting redirected with the hospital i attended. If there are any nurses on here by sheer luck, give me a sign. Really don't want to head to the hospital again.

I had a concussion a few years ago but didn't go to an ER because there's not much they'd do for me anyway except maybe monitor my pupils for a day.

I figured I could just set my alarm for every two hours at home...in my own bed....for free....

What do you want them to do for you? They've already stitched you up and it's been over a day.

• Author
I had a concussion a few years ago but didn't go to an ER because there's not much they'd do for me anyway except maybe monitor my pupils for a day.

I figured I could just set my alarm for every two hours at home...in my own bed....for free....

What do you want them to do for you? They've already stitched you up and it's been over a day.

I know they can't do anything per say, i was just concerned about potential bleeding in the brain. Spoke to a nurse, eased my concerns. Managed to sleep some more, just sluggish. Lol, i forgot that i was suppose to have someone check on me. I'm glad i was waking up every hour or 2 naturally. Thanks posters.