Improving my Appearance

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I could improve my appearance? I think I have a rectangular/oblong face and I can pull off the buzz cut, just want some opinions. You can find my pictures in my profile album.

Also would you consider me to be at least average looking? I get a fair number of dates on Tinder & Match, but do get turned down sometimes on Whisper after I send someone a picture.

Today had someone ask to trade pictures, and after I sent them my picture they blocked me, kinda felt bad...

Thx!

Edited by barcode88

Something I learned a few decades ago regarding selling one's appearance, to get advice from a professional. I first ran into it when dating internationally back before the internet and digital photography took hold and the women were still in actual 'catalogs' and those who spent the time and effort on a professional photographer and styling came across far more obviously than those who didn't put the effort into style and photos. That didn't mean they were in any way different though sure they could be but they followed the time honored mantra of looks getting the interview. The same goes for men.

IMO, if you're going to go for appearance, you need the advice of someone in real life who sells appearance and is good at it. They also get to see you in person as well as in the photos you currently have and can compare to their own work and how the camera sees you. Some people are photogenic. The camera loves them. My exW was one of those. Then again, she also worked in the appearance industry so knew the tricks.

What do you think you can do to improve your appearance? Today?

As example, if I looked in the mirror today and, whoa, who's that guy? , I'd buzz my hair up, shave and trim my eyebrows. Stop looking so scruffy. Sure, scruffy might look good on a male model but on me it looks like scruffy old guy who doesn't care. Gotta know your limitations :D

Oh, having a sense of humor helps, especially when looking in the mirror. Heh.

• Like 2
  • Author

Cool, I was kind of thinking that as well. Where is a good place to look for an appearance/style coach or something?

I've always considered myself average looking, and generally have pretty good self esteem. I can be pretty clueless about style and appearance though and may be shooting myself in the foot without realizing it lol.

I think you're a good looking guy. I'd recommend bulking up your shoulders and arms. Muscular shoulders and arms are irresistible.

• Like 1

I think you are a decent looking guy, but could certainly improve your style and grooming.

Buzz cuts - work best for the stunning, otherwise it's just such a basic unexciting hair cut.

I think some length on top, and perhaps a more defined beard would help you create a "look". A great barber should be able to help you with this. Don't go to the $8 hair cut place, search some reviews, look around, see where the dapper guys are going.

What do you think about these looks?:

http://harvardsol.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/brilliant-very-short-hairstyles-for-men-amid-unusual-article.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/25/29/da/2529dab6f4d630de455676347c74ee48.jpg

A precise hair cut, especially one that gives you good definition around the temples / side burns can really improve a face. I joke that I need to send my husband's barber a thank you card - he looks amazing when he steps out of his shop!

And clothes - do you ever wear anything a bit more tailored? Fleeces and sports jerseys don't really showcase anyone. It's not like you have to wear button downs, but even a well fitted T shirt, and jeans that have a nice fit can do wonders.

And if you do want to hit the gym, I agree, built shoulders and arms are a great look.

• Like 1

My wife and I think you look fine.

Longer hair might work better for you though, yet that's not a big deal.

I wouldn't worry about the rejections since we all don't like the same things, so if they don't want you it's for the best.

• Like 1
  • Author
I think you are a decent looking guy, but could certainly improve your style and grooming.

Buzz cuts - work best for the stunning, otherwise it's just such a basic unexciting hair cut.

I think some length on top, and perhaps a more defined beard would help you create a "look". A great barber should be able to help you with this. Don't go to the $8 hair cut place, search some reviews, look around, see where the dapper guys are going.

What do you think about these looks?:

http://harvardsol.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/brilliant-very-short-hairstyles-for-men-amid-unusual-article.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/25/29/da/2529dab6f4d630de455676347c74ee48.jpg

A precise hair cut, especially one that gives you good definition around the temples / side burns can really improve a face. I joke that I need to send my husband's barber a thank you card - he looks amazing when he steps out of his shop!

And clothes - do you ever wear anything a bit more tailored? Fleeces and sports jerseys don't really showcase anyone. It's not like you have to wear button downs, but even a well fitted T shirt, and jeans that have a nice fit can do wonders.

And if you do want to hit the gym, I agree, built shoulders and arms are a great look.

I actually like that second one with the shorter hair on the sides, although my ears poke out a bit... But can't be worse than what I have now lol.

Yeah I usually wear dark jeans, button down shirt, with a sport jacket when I want to dress up a little bit but keep it casual.

Agree on the arms/shoulders, I need to get back to the gym. It's one of my resolutions for the new year :)

I feel like after breaking up with my girlfriend of almost a year back in September, I kinda let myself go a bit.

Thx for all the pointers everyone, much appreciated.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I could improve my appearance? I think I have a rectangular/oblong face and I can pull off the buzz cut, just want some opinions. You can find my pictures in my profile album.

Also would you consider me to be at least average looking? I get a fair number of dates on Tinder & Match, but do get turned down sometimes on Whisper after I send someone a picture.

Today had someone ask to trade pictures, and after I sent them my picture they blocked me, kinda felt bad...

Thx!

There's nothing wrong at all. You're handsome. If others don't see that, then that's their loss.

I like those two hairstyles and think you'd suit either.

Definitely grow your hair out and go to a good hair dressers. As soon as it grows a little you can go along to start getting it shaped.

I would like to see you clean shaven - or, if you want to keep the goatee get that styled also into something you can easily manage day to day.

Maybe have some pics showing your teeth too?

I would recommend getting your eyebrows done also as it'll sharpen up your look right away.

For clothes, certainly in the UK you can go along to the bigger high street shops and use a personal shopper which is a free service. You state how much your budget is (even if it's say $200) and let them know you want to be sharpened up a bit. They will show you styles which suit your body shape.

Failing that do you have any female friends who dress well who you could ask?

I've been asked by 3 guys to be their shopper for a day. I got them trying things on and figured out what looked good and what didn't.

You're very handsome but just like all of us a change and a bit of improvement goes a long way.

• Like 1