Feel like I'm mourning my teen self

Nikki Sahagin

I am 27 years old.

I am still in good shape and pretty. I have a partner and a good job. I've travelled and done a lot of cool things. I miss my teenage self :(

I miss being 15, 16, 17. I miss the way I looked, the person I was, the life I lived. When I was a teen, I had the same nostalgia for childhood. And as I get older I'll get more and more nostalgic about everything :( How the hell do I break this grip?

• Author
Nikki Sahagin

I was a teen when I had my first love...

I miss the big group of male and female friends I had...

I miss how heaving my social life was...

I miss my friends before babies and partners...

I miss having this big optimism about what lay ahead in life.

By being forward focused. You are only looking back with fond memories because you do not see a better future for yourself than the past you had. Most people only get to this stage in their midlife, where their focus suddenly turns retrospective but you seem to have managed it at an early age. When the best is still to come you do not endlessly reference your past as being the best part of your life. There is nothing wrong with fond memories, but when you use it as an excuse to see no future for yourself it becomes a problem.

So what is it about your future that seems not worth focusing on?

I have the perfect song for you

17 (I wish I was) by The Radiators

And you've got me on my own nostalgia trip now. This song was from an album which was part of the soundtrack to many an Aussie party back in the '80's. Where are my stonewash jeans and mullet?

• Like 1

Its just part of growing up and older I missed those days as well in time you will learn to appreciate your older self and the perks that come with having a few more years under your belt its all part of a normal progression I think..

I feel like that too. What I wish is that I didn't take those years for granted - I didn't realise how happy I could be then with the lack of responsibility as I took myself too seriously. I like to listen to songs I listened to when I was teenager to reminisce. I liked Jimmy Eat World, Blink 182 and Less than Jake back then.

Anyway what you are feeling is totally normal!

• Like 2