Pessimistic about future after college graduation

isabellemarss

I'm graduating from college in 2017 and lately I've been having so much doubts about the future. I want to go to law school but I don't know if it'll work out. Here are my choices:

1. Work and study at the same time to support myself - This is the most likely scenario. However, there are a lot of problems with this. First, I need a lot of time to study, which will be impossible if I have a job. Second, would I even earn that much to be able to sustain myself and pay for my education? I'm doing some calculations and the answer points to no. I could get a loan but I don't want to be riddled with debt especially if things eventually won't work out.

2. Get a loan and study full-time. Ideal, but then if I fail or drop out I'll be paying off a useless expensive debt when I work.

3. Of course there's also the option of pursuing a different career path but I really want to go for this, plus I'm certain it's the only career that fits me and will enable me to earn enough to at least live much more comfortably than what I'm used to. At this point it's really law school or bust for me.

4. Try to get a scholarship. This one is automatically OUT. I don't want the extra pressure.

I'm feeling really down right now because I keep looking at all these people I know who are in law school right now and thinking how lucky they are that their parents are paying for their education. I'm just really pissed and pessimistic and frustrated right now.

Most people in law school are not having it paid for by their parents. You're really in the same boat as almost everyone graduating from college. Think about what you really want to do in your life and you will find a way to make it happen.

GorillaTheater

It's been a while, but I imagine it's still fairly common for schools to offer a four-year part-time program for folks who work a full-time job during the day. It's a hard road, but doable. I went through law school as a married parent working part-time.

But I echo Clia's questions. Why do you want to be a lawyer? There are times when driving a truck sounds like a much better gig.

• Like 1

Have you considered taking a year off to work and save up money? I know someone who had to stop partway through law school. She spent a year or two (I forget how long exactly) just working, then she went back and finished her degree. Even if you still need to take out a loan after saving up money, at least you won't need to borrow as much.