Does anyone in LS do yoga? When did you start -- what types of yoga do you do?

I signed up for a 9-week beginners Yoga workshop. First class is tomorrow. Every Sunday until early December. Hoping to branch out after this workshop and find a style(s) of yoga that I can practice after it.

• Like 1

I do hatha yoga daily. It makes a huge difference to my sense of wellbeing and health. Through doing this my body has become incredibly ripped without any weight training. It's like a dancer's body, lithe but strong and muscular. It's now a daily habit I can't do without. For the first time in my life I became a natural UK size 4-6. Hatha is one of the more common physical yoga styles out there.

• Like 3
truthtripper

If you like yoga, make sure you balance stretching poses with strengthening poses, otherwise your body may become wobbly and unstable. This is what happened to me and now I am paying the price.

• Like 1
  • Author

My coworker recommended Hatha Yoga.

I think my 9-week workshop will touch on it. I'm really looking forward to my first class tomorrow (Sunday) morning. :)

• Like 1
Springsummer
I do hatha yoga daily. It makes a huge difference to my sense of wellbeing and health. Through doing this my body has become incredibly ripped without any weight training. It's like a dancer's body, lithe but strong and muscular. It's now a daily habit I can't do without. For the first time in my life I became a natural UK size 4-6. Hatha is one of the more common physical yoga styles out there.

wow...maybe I should do it as well.

• Like 1
wow...maybe I should do it as well.

No-one was more surprised by my body transformation than me. ;) I didn't think yoga would do that either. But the thing is, I do it daily, no exceptions, I don't think you would get that result from a once a week class. I know I didn't in the decade prior to going daily. The strength poses are basically weight training using your body weight for resistance. I don't many inversions but I do a lot of the core exercises which are responsible for my rock hard abs and nicely toned biceps.

I was never this small, not even as a teen. To suddenly get to this size in my 40's was quite the surprise. It happened in less than 6 months of daily yoga.

• Like 2
truthtripper
I do a lot of the core exercises which are responsible for my rock hard abs and nicely toned biceps.

These are the most important. Practising many stretching poses without these can be detrimental rather than of any benefit, especially if you have hypermobile joints. Make sure your yoga teacher has legitimate training. I don't think mine had.

I'm a big yoga fan, I've praised it all around the world in countries that i have lived so as a result my style is probably influenced by a lot of different styles. I like Astanga yoga.

I practise every day, and i always do a little bit with mylittle boy every morning because i think it's good for him.

I don't go to classes that often anymore, but I do enjoy the odd hot yoga session! That always feel like you've had a great workout!! Yow sweat buckets though so i like to do that and then go for a swim.

• Like 1
T-16bullseyeWompRat

Huge fan of yoga pants! I wish to shake the had and say thank you in person to the individual who created them. This is easily the best article of clothing invented since the bikini.

No-one was more surprised by my body transformation than me. ;) I didn't think yoga would do that either. But the thing is, I do it daily, no exceptions, I don't think you would get that result from a once a week class. I know I didn't in the decade prior to going daily. The strength poses are basically weight training using your body weight for resistance. I don't many inversions but I do a lot of the core exercises which are responsible for my rock hard abs and nicely toned biceps.

I was never this small, not even as a teen. To suddenly get to this size in my 40's was quite the surprise. It happened in less than 6 months of daily yoga.

How many minutes does it take to complete your routine?

How many minutes does it take to complete your routine?

It used to be an hour daily, but i can complete the same routine in 40mins now.

• Like 1
I have always wanting to do yoga, but something disturbs me and everytime I attend gym.

Yeh, something used to disturb me and that was the fridge.

• Like 1

I feel so much peace and calm right now. Must has something to do with I had a lengthy workout yesterday evening in the gym? I did elliptical for 30 min, weight 15 minute, stretching 15 min, and running 25 minutes.

I usually just run 1 miles, yesterday I did 2 miles because I just felt good while running.

too bad, my knees sometimes don't feel good while running, otherwise I will keep on running. I don't know what is the problem.

I feel yoga is kind of a slow sport and time consuming. I downloaded lots of yoga video. Can I just do it on my own without registering for any course, coz currently I don't want to pay any more for sports.

• Author
I feel so much peace and calm right now. Must has something to do with I had a lengthy workout yesterday evening in the gym? I did elliptical for 30 min, weight 15 minute, stretching 15 min, and running 25 minutes.

I usually just run 1 miles, yesterday I did 2 miles because I just felt good while running.

too bad, my knees sometimes don't feel good while running, otherwise I will keep on running. I don't know what is the problem.

I feel yoga is kind of a slow sport and time consuming. I downloaded lots of yoga video. Can I just do it on my own without registering for any course, coz currently I don't want to pay any more for sports.

Lots of YouTube videos with free content. You can find 15 min, 30 min, 45 min videos.

• Like 1

It could be a shoe problem. Running shoes that are squishy padded like memory foam that let your feet sink too much into the shoe, can put pressure on your joints. Insoles that are more rubbery(bouncy) and allow your feet to rebound are more appropriate for running.

• Like 1

I've been doing Hatha for about 6 months now and find it definitely addictive. Not only have i seen effects on the body from a muscular and trimming but also, being a diabetic, my morning blood sugar is dramatically reduced on the mornings following my classes. I wish i could find more affordable evening classes...I can't really take 90 minutes (from leaving the house to returning, showering etc) in the midst of the workday to meet a day time class.

Highly recommend but fully endorse the advice to ensure your teacher is qualified.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about adding yoga to my routine for a while. I just don't know if I can devote a whole hour to it. There's a studio a block from my house.

So tempting.

And I feel it will be worthwhile.

Once you've done enough classes to get good handle on the basic poses you can supplement with an app like Yoga Studio, which has class vids and position descriptions so you can go at it alone. Hatha is very common and the apps are based on it. I had already done years in a studio so I just went straight for YS since it has class vids at all levels and combinations of strength and flexibility. Best $3 I ever spent.

• Like 2
It could be a shoe problem. Running shoes that are squishy padded like memory foam that let your feet sink too much into the shoe, can put pressure on your joints. Insoles that are more rubbery(bouncy) and allow your feet to rebound are more appropriate for running.

Initially I kind of suspect was shoe's problem, so I went ahead a bought a new pair of shoes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007W2IJ3Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

It's supposed to be good. but I twisted my angle very badly, but that was because I was careless and have bad mood.

that was 2 years ago and I am still using the shoes and still have kneel problem. Don't want to buy another pair again unless my current pair is ruined.

I find I can't afford to have bad thoughts when doing sports. as soon as I have bad thought, like last time I thought about how my mom treated me while I just got of a lift when snowboarding, I flipped and banged my head on the ice straight (Then I went for a scan 15 minutes before closing and the technician want to turn me out. I said what if something happen at night? then she reluctantly did my scan. It lasted her less then 10 minutes. then I had to press her for the result and she mumbled nothing wrong with my head).

Yup, you can get hurt very badly when doing the simplest task in a sport. Ironically, the difficult ones have less chance to hurt you, because they require your focus at the beginning.

Edited by Springsummer
  • Like 1

Springsummer, that's a coincidence, I just bought a new pair of shoes too, Ipari Hanas. They are barefoot shoes and people could probably do yoga in them too.

https://xeroshoes.com/shop/ipari/hana/

I've also really badly injured myself by not concentrating. That's a good point you make. It's easy for this to happen during yoga too.

• Like 1

I have been doing yoga - probably about 9 years - but only really regularly for the past 5. I do it twice a week. I still consider myself a beginner.

I tried some classes - never worked for me. 1) because I find even beginner classes loaded up with mostly intermediates and instructors who dont know what a beginner is and 2) I am a dude - a big dude- and don't feel at place in most yoga classes filled with Size 2 women 3) I need gentle slow pace yoga (i do enough faster pace workouts other days)

After several DVD's I found an instructor and video series that works for me - Barbara Benagh. Also have found some video channels on Youtube and Roku for yoga, but still mostly do Barbara's routines. I have a quiet place set up in my home to practice in front of a large TV.

Edited by dichotomy
  • Like 2