Sex to cope with stress?

Just wondering if this is normal. I don't think I have a high sex drive really, but I've noticed that when I feel stressed out I start texting guys who might want to have sex with me at a moment's notice. It's like I'm trying to use sex to distract myself from my problems I guess.

truthtripper

If you feel like having sex often, that sounds like an addiction. Addictions are often caused by avoiding problems we don't want to face. The fact that you are aware you may be using sex as a distraction is a good thing.

Just wondering if this is normal. I don't think I have a high sex drive really, but I've noticed that when I feel stressed out I start texting guys who might want to have sex with me at a moment's notice. It's like I'm trying to use sex to distract myself from my problems I guess.

Yes, sex is a great way to relieve stress....temporarily. It is especially awesome within a monogamous relationship so that there is no need to randomly call any warm body to fulfill your needs. Your issue is concerning and may have to deal with something much more deeper. What you are doing is dangerous.

Sex is an act that has physical and emotional properties attached to it - kinda like exercise.

When you have sex, especially if you reach orgasm, the body releases endorphins and you feel good. Also, if you can get the comfort and warmth from contact with another human being. Believe it or not, I've heard that in battle some soldiers involuntarily have erections - and it's not cuz they are horny, the erection is a reaction to the incoming stress. I've had moments where under stress at work or something, I just would fantasize about wanting to come home and be bent over the table and....you know ;)

Stress is your body being prepared to either fight or flight...so, yep, you have to do something with all that pent up energy and sex or exercise can relieve the stress cuz it releases all the pent up energy. I mean, ever check your heart beating during and/or after sex?

So, IMO, how you're feeling is normal. Thing is how far you go with it. I mean, girl, when I'm horny yes, I wish I had someone I could just dial up. Now, if I'm involved with someone, I have to resist sending them a text or call at 2AM:p It makes me embarrassed sometimes cuz yea, I've texted 26yr old guy at odd times cuz hello, he's on my mind and yea, I'd like to get busy with him. But, a random stranger...noooo. An ex...noooooo.

So if you feel that the urge for sex is to the point where you may do something like look up an ex and have a Chainsmoker's "Closer" moment and/or seek out random strangers...try going on a run, working out - cuz breaking a sweat will give you some endorphins, relieve stress, and tire you out...and, hopefully that will quench your thirst :p

But be careful cuz sometimes exercise make you want sex :p I mean, durning and even after a workout sometimes I'm ready for some sex and gosh, recently I found out that my 26 yr old guy shares the same sentiment ;)

truthtripper

So if you feel that the urge for sex is to the point where you may do something like look up an ex and have a Chainsmoker's "Closer" moment and/or seek out random strangers...

....find a therapist.