Time - and how short it is.

Gosh, I am in such a depressed mood!

I'm 34 and I calculated when I will probably be retiring.

Then I thought about how old my parents, close friends, current guy I'm dating, and even my ex will be that projected year.

Some of my very close friends are around 50 and 60. It's depressing to think that by the time I reach retirement, all of these people I spend time with and enjoy their company now, will all be gone! :( I'm not going to lie - I literally have a tear in my eye just thinking about that! :(

Life is so damn short. What a way for me to start my Monday morning...

• Like 4
GorillaTheater

I've got a jacket older than you.

At the risk of sounding trite, the trick is not thinking about how many days you have left, but rather making the most of today. You're right, life is short, so we can't waste the days we have.

• Like 4
  • Author

You're totally right.

I was sharing these thoughts with my mom via text just now and she gave me the best response ever. Made me laugh and tear up at the same time:

"Your father and I will be at your retirement party! : )"

• Like 2
GorillaTheater

And getting older beats the alternative.

If you're anything like me, at some point you'll start celebrating birthdays again because it means you've cheated death another year. "In your FACE, reaper dude!" :laugh:

• Like 2
thefooloftheyear

Look at it another way......

The best part about getting older(and believe me, there isn't that much that can be called "good"), is getting to the what I call, the "not giving a shyt" stage...That's where almost nothing really matters to you that much anymore...Because you start to see that once you are gone....that's it...

For me that happened when I hit late 40's...

It helps if you have your personal finances in order...Money stresses everyone at any age, so bear that in mind....But a lot of the little crap that used to bother you, wont anymore....What people think(outside of your circle, anyway) wont mean jack...

It's actually quite liberating...:)

TFY

• Like 5
thefooloftheyear

Just an addendum to my previous post.

I recall many years ago, when sitting in my desk in grade school, bored to hell, watching 5 minutes go by like it was 5 hours....

I lead a very busy life...and the older I get, the more time flies...

Then I think....."how can I possibly slow this down"?? Then I think of all the inmates in prison.....How they are probably in the exact opposite mindset...where every single boring day is like an eternity...

I can't say that would help anyone deal with it, but it does make you wonder, anyway...;)

TFY

• Like 4

^ Ha , that's reminiscent of that thing about which is more terrifying to contemplate - the notion of your own death or the concept of never dying. ;)

• Like 2

Just an addendum to my previous post.

I recall many years ago, when sitting in my desk in grade school, bored to hell, watching 5 minutes go by like it was 5 hours....

I lead a very busy life...and the older I get, the more time flies...

Then I think....."how can I possibly slow this down"?? Then I think of all the inmates in prison.....How they are probably in the exact opposite mindset...where every single boring day is like an eternity...

I can't say that would help anyone deal with it, but it does make you wonder, anyway...;)

TFY

The cool thing about time is that the perception of it is relative.

Actually, prisoners would likely perceive time to move faster than most people. It's monotony or routine that creates the perception that time is moving faster relative to someone else. If you want to slow down time, do what kids do--live in the present moment.

This Simple Mental Trick Can Slow Down Time | Huffington Post

• Like 1

Are your friends short lived or something? I'd hope in this day and age people can expect around 90 years. They've got a while on the planet yet. ;)

• Like 2
thefooloftheyear
Life seemed indefinite in my early 20's. Now at 40, time sure felt like it flew by.

This is a very important aspect...

I don't offer too much help or insight to members here, but if I could offer anything, its this...

With the last few decades you see more and more younger people taking longer to get their adult life in gear...At the time when I was in my 20's(80's) pretty much all of us bought houses and had established adult lives..

Im not criticizing anyone, but the way some are going, there is going to be a problem....If you are not "on your way", by say...late 20's, time will eat you up...Most that are my age or older will confirm this...In most people's working lives,, they kinda peak somewhere in their late 30's early 40's....Not that you wont have success or work after that, but external factors can do you in....You start to slow down....you dont have the same drive or endurance,...you become a bit cynical, etc...

The later you start, the worse this can be, because you don't want to hit your peak when you are in your 50's...Not that it can't be done, but it just gets wayyy harder..If you wait until you are in your 30's until you buy a dream house or take on other big and long term investments, then they are going to stress the hell out of you when you don't have the enthusiasm or youthfulness..

So my advice, is don't dick around if you are in your mid 20's to early 30's thinking you have all the time in the world...you don't ....that block of time it took from when you left your mothers womb until you hit 25 will have been a virtual eternity as compared to going from 25 to when you hit 50...and that window starts closing quickly,...If you want an easy life later on, stay focused while you are still young...I made a lot of mistakes in my life, but fortunately this wasn't one of them..If you don't want to be killing yourself when you lost your mojo, then have a sense of urgency...That's all...

TFY

Edited by thefooloftheyear
  • Like 3
Eternity is the present moment.

I love deep thoughts like this!

"Youth is wasted on the young" :D

"All we are is

" :(

As we say in the states, "The only thing certain in life is death and taxes." :laugh:

Edited by TheFinalWord
  • Like 1