Feel bored by their achievements? I recently bought my dream house, one I worked so hard to get and wanted with all my heart and now that I have it I couldn't care less. I have only been living in it for three weeks. This is how I feel every time I achieve something. For example, I set out to be published as I love to write and have talent in that area and the first two stories I submitted to a publisher ever in my life were accepted by anthologies. Now I don't even care to write anymore. Sometimes things come easy sometimes I have to work hard to get them such as when I bought this house, but either way, when I get them there's no satisfaction. I'm instantly bored.

Maybe the things you aim for are not what you actually crave.

Realistically, you don't require anything or anyone, your personal contentment comes from within.

An established member post's this Jung statement, it may be something you should get your head around.

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life, and you will call it fate."

— C. G. Jung

• Like 1

Material goals will never make anyone happy. Not if you were not already happy.

May sound harsh but a house is just a roof over your head. Your feeling about it will make it a home. Doesn't matter if that's a 1 room studio or a villa on the beach.

From what you tell, all your achievements so far have been related to outside world recognition. My advice would be, try looking on the inside. What do YOU want and find important?

External validation has unfortunately taken you only so far, and now you are starting to realize it is not the key to happiness.

Good luck on your journey!! From now on it will only get better I can tell you :)

• Like 1

Fair, I am having the same issues...

Got an MFA and had my artwork shown in a variety of exhibitions and then I didn't really care to try and make more.

So I started writing... Had several dozen articles published when I got a book contract. It is coming out next year and the thought of a book tour or promotion leaves me numb with apathy.

Honestly, I am in a position that I could do or pursue just about anything I want, but I can't even get motivated to come up with something that I'm passionate about....

• Like 1

Perhaps what you're missing is the ability to be grateful for what you have.

Next time you're feeling like something is missing, look at your house and think of those who can't afford one. Or look at your novels and remember those who struggle with literacy.

If you focus less on your achievements and more on others, perhaps you will be happier

• Author

Thanks Carrie. I'm glad to know I'm not alone, though I wish you better days ahead. It's lousy to feel like this.

• Like 1
  • Author

Basil67 I'd focus more on others if I had a family or spouse or even a good group of supportive friends but I have none of that. And I'm on the wrong side of forty, with only unavailable men coming around to try to waste my time, if any. All I have are my goals which I expected to give me some kind of satisfaction at least. But they don't. Not even a little bit.

Unlike Fair, I *do* have a family and spouse and I am incredibly grateful for that, but it is akin to what SerCay was implying: It is more than external validation... I get that and more from my family and those who buy my art or read my books.

There is a simple spark of self-appreciation that is lacking and that is wonting. One can have everything in life and still have a desire for something that isn't there.

I have had great wealth and traveled extensively, so the materialistic things are just that for me: things. I am unsure why my personal achievements are not enough for me or why I am struggling. I have taken classes to enrich my mind, I read incessantly, I watch documentaries, I still create and write, but there is not the drive or love for those activities I had previously.

• Like 1
  • Author

I guess I blame a lot on not having a family if I'm honest. I have a "who cares, there's no one to be proud of me anyway," attitude but of course it's still external validation I seek which hasn't given me any satisfaction in the past. So yes, I agree. It runs deeper than that.

lisaloveshearts

I gave birth and raised an absolutely wonderful daughter. She put herself though college and graduated cum laude.

At 23, she is a drug and alcohol counselor and is going for her Masters. She is wicked smart and caring. Having and raising her is my biggest accomplishment, I did all right. :)

We're actually pretty bad at predicting how future events will make us feel, and we often overestimate how positive we'll feel when we reach our goals. Check out "Stumbling on Happiness" by Daniel Gilbert.