You're an introvert, if....

Ok, I hate dealing with people.

Today and this week, just interacting with people has me drained. And, I must say that I was speaking with them efficiently and tactfully, and I believe that I did great. But now I scared to deal with them tomorrow.

I figure that this is just a trait of an introvert, no?

Im an introvert too.. Without a definition. I can tell I hate loud people and specifically groups of people. Groups are dumb, loud and annoying. Individuals can be intelligent and kind.

I mostly hang out with a couple close friends I've had for years and most of them match my personality.

Are you also socially awkward, Gloria?

But now I scared to deal with them tomorrow.

I'm an introvert, I interact with who I need to and keep it appropriate. I don't have the 'fear'.

The apprehension you indicate could be down to other factors, how the planets are aligned in the sky or what chemical soup [due to glandular secretions] your Brain is bathed in.

The Thalamus receives data from your senses and passes the verdict to your Amygdala.

It is the Amygdala that governs the Fight/Flight or Freeze reactions, and can ramp up any perceived fear.

It boils down to one's perception of a circumstance as sampled by the Thalamus.

Having an accurate perception helps, or factoring in any curve balls you are aware of that the brain may be influenced by, [e.g.hormonal]

I have found utilising some tools from Buddhist Compassion Meditation can help check the reaction of my Thalamus and prevent my Amygdalae from scaring me silly unnecessarily.

scooby-philly

Introverts are not necessarily awkward. We all know several awkward extroverts in our lives. Trust me - they're all over the place.

The question is about where do you draw your energy from when you need to recharge your battery. From people or from alone time? And....we all live on a multi-tiered spectrum. Most people reside closer to the middle than on either extreme - and certain situations, people, etc can cause us to shift.

I'm more introverted but when I'm going you'd bet money I was an extrovert.

• Like 5

I'd say I'm introverted but I don't hate dealing with people. I actually enjoy it - especially at work.

I don't understand why you'd feel fearful the next day?

It sounds like there is more to this than introverted-ness to me.

lisaloveshearts

I tend to be an introvert too, maybe too much. I bought my house 9 years ago. Until earlier this year, I loved it and then my mother died. It made me realize that I was not happy. I have consistently gained weight over these last few years.

I came to the conclusion that I need to get out of here. My parents are both gone. My 23 yr old daughter recently moved out, she's starting her new life. I have had a lot of loses this year.

I am determined to start a new life for myself and selling my house is the a start.

• Like 2

I am introverted too. Sometimes I feel nervous about talking to people, but that has more to do with my social awkwardness. I am fine when one-on-one with someone, but in a group or crowd I get flustered. This is especially true with people that I don't know well, or with people that I really want to like me.

• Author
Im an introvert too.. Without a definition. I can tell I hate loud people and specifically groups of people. Groups are dumb, loud and annoying. Individuals can be intelligent and kind.

I mostly hang out with a couple close friends I've had for years and most of them match my personality.

Are you also socially awkward, Gloria?

I think I can handle myself ok in social situations, but it's exhausting. Sometimes the work I put into engaging people results in me learning something new, meeting interesting people, etc....but for the most part I could care less about them, it feels forced and fake.

• Like 1
  • Author
I'd say I'm introverted but I don't hate dealing with people. I actually enjoy it - especially at work.

I don't understand why you'd feel fearful the next day?

It sounds like there is more to this than introverted-ness to me.

Please see my post above in response to Shanex...

I also wanna add that my fear is that I cannot keep up the charade. Like the chick I was talking to when I posted this? I really don't like her. I don't agree with her work ethic and cleanliness, so, afraid that now that I gave her the time of day, she's gonna want to chat me up on the regular and I don't fancy her.

Also, I hate the pressure it is on us to be sociable. I can do nice things in my hood, my job, etc.. with all the fake smiling in people's face. But that's not how the world works. So, I fear that I can't keep up with the fake bull and it's costing me my job, allies, and just getting along with people.

• Like 1
Also, I hate the pressure it is on us to be sociable.

This is the one line all introverts will agree with...

Also, I hate the pressure to be always "doing something social outside" in your free time, and people asking about it all. the. time. While I understand that it helps meeting people when you need it, I love being home and watching movies or reading books with teas and coffees.

• Like 3

I'm an introvert too. And find spending big amount of time with people exhausting! On the whole I like it, it's just the way I am I'm not needy and am very low maintenance at work, but yes I do feel that I'm misunderstood for it, people can find me aloof or anti social when truth is sometimes I really feel I need to be alone.....so I can build the energy to see them again!

It has worked against me once in work. I went for a senior position and they said that I didn't have the personality they were looking for - most managers they opt for are more extroverted.

Eternal Sunshine

Also, I hate the pressure to be always "doing something social outside" in your free time, and people asking about it all. the. time. While I understand that it helps meeting people when you need it, I love being home and watching movies or reading books with teas and coffees.

Exactly! My perfect weekend is spent taking long walks while listening to music, watching Netflix marathons, sitting in a cafe with a book in the sun. Yet people constantly ask me "What are your plans for the weekend?" "What did you dooo this weekend?". Even my mother is always pressuring me to be more social and find more friends.

This weekend, I pushed myself to attend a meet-up and I was utterly miserable. It was full of loud women that overshared, were hyper-drunk-cheerful, touched everyone too much and creepy men that were blatantly trying to hook up. I made myself stay for 2 hours and was just so drained by the experience. The only good thing is that I let myself have every second weekend off from "trying to be social because it's normal".

I am not scared of people though, they just annoy me.

• Like 4

I love being outside but much prefer doing stuff by myself - going on walks, small trips, bike rides, window shopping, people watching etc.

The only downside is I can never explain to people what I did 'for leisure' because these activities apparently do not count unless shared with other people.

I don't like being indoors alone though. My BF: exactly the opposite. Can stay the whole day alone watching shows and be happy about it, whereas he wants to do all his outdoors activities with other people.

introverted1
Introverts are not necessarily awkward. We all know several awkward extroverts in our lives. Trust me - they're all over the place.

The question is about where do you draw your energy from when you need to recharge your battery. From people or from alone time? And....we all live on a multi-tiered spectrum. Most people reside closer to the middle than on either extreme - and certain situations, people, etc can cause us to shift.

I'm more introverted but when I'm going you'd bet money I was an extrovert.

So much this!

It's all about where you get your energy. Introverts need time alone to recharge while extroverts are energized by being with other people.

Introverts can be very social. Many actors are introverts.

Introversion is NOT the same as social awkwardness or shyness.