Am I crazy for wanting this surgery?! Weak/reccessive chin

Hi all,

So, for the past 7-8 years, since I was around 16 years old.. I have always been self conscious of my weak chin. I have always had anxiety because of it, and due to that I think it has really hindered my socializing. That said, I'm 25 and I finally went to see a maxillofacial oral surgeon to find out the underlying issue I have.

Based off my consultation since my bite is great, I am qualified to get a chin surgery that will essentially cut my chin bone, and slide it forward a bit. The bone will heal within a month, and I never really have to worry about it again. Unlike an implant, where that is a foreign object in your body.

I have always been against any type of plastic surgery, but I feel like this could change my life and really improve my day to day life. Apparently this would also help functional issues such as chin strain, sleep apnea, etc.

Here are my pictures: ( removed by moderation )

There are some before and after morphs that my surgeon has created for me in that album.

What are your thoughts? Am I wrong for wanting something like this done?! Can I get some honest opinions?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Like 2

I don't think doing anything that will make you feel better about yourself is a bad thing.

There is nothing wrong in what you want to do....

• Like 4
  • Author
I don't think doing anything that will make you feel better about yourself is a bad thing.

There is nothing wrong in what you want to do....

Thanks. Its just a surgery, which scares me. But think it may be worth it in the long term of my life.

• Like 1

I had a nose job when I was in my mid 20's. It's the best thing I ever did. My nose wasn't horrible but I just didn't like it. Most people couldn't figure out what was different about me after I had it done. I hardly ever think about it anymore, it was such a perfect thing to do for myself.

If your chin bugs you, then go for the surgery. There's nothing wrong with fixing things that bug you.

Edited by bathtub-row
  • Like 5
  • Author
I had a nose job when I was in my mid 20's. It's the best thing I ever did. My nose wasn't horrible but I just didn't like it. Most people couldn't figure out what was different about me after I had it done. I hardly ever think about it anymore, it was such a perfect thing to do for myself.

If your chin bugs you, then go for the surgery. There's nothing wrong with fixing things that bug you.

Thanks for the response and sharing your story. Ive always been a very conservative person, part of me feels guilty for wanting to move further with this... but at the same time since it really is an issue. Fixing it can change not only the physical aspect, but also help me out on the emotional side of things too.

DivorcedDad123

Have you looked into having your jaw broken and moved forward? My daughter had to have that done, but hers was moved back because of an underbite. You look to have more overbite.

I would think moving your entire lower jaw would be easier and achieve what you're wanting.

It isn't bad as-is though.

• Like 1

I had breast reduction surgery several years ago. My only regret is not having done it sooner.

At the time, hubs was in tears. He didn't want me to do it but wasn't opposed, especially given that there were extenuating circumstances beyond cosmetic only issues. Ha, he is perfectly happy with my perky boobs and there's still plenty for him to play with :p.

You need to weigh out the pros and cons, and make your decision based on your personal feelings. We are our own worst critics, so while you may think your chin is off-putting to others, chances are they don't give it a second thought ;).

• Like 1
Thanks for the response and sharing your story. Ive always been a very conservative person, part of me feels guilty for wanting to move further with this... but at the same time since it really is an issue. Fixing it can change not only the physical aspect, but also help me out on the emotional side of things too.

I was self-conscious about my nose but, after I got it fixed, I never gave it another thought. I'm not kidding when I say it was one of the best things I ever did. And it's good to do it when you're young because people get used to seeing you a certain way, if that makes sense.

Be sure you get a reputable surgeon to do this. When I had my nose done, it required breaking bones, just as your surgery will. The doctor I picked was able to do it in such a way that I had minimal bruising under my eyes. Whatever needs to be done, don't be daunted by it -- just do it and it's done forever.

Btw, I don't think your chin looks bad but, again, if it bugs you then you'll probably be a lot happier if you have the surgery.

Good luck!

• Author
I was self-conscious about my nose but, after I got it fixed, I never gave it another thought. I'm not kidding when I say it was one of the best things I ever did. And it's good to do it when you're young because people get used to seeing you a certain way, if that makes sense.

Be sure you get a reputable surgeon to do this. When I had my nose done, it required breaking bones, just as your surgery will. The doctor I picked was able to do it in such a way that I had minimal bruising under my eyes. Whatever needs to be done, don't be daunted by it -- just do it and it's done forever.

Btw, I don't think your chin looks bad but, again, if it bugs you then you'll probably be a lot happier if you have the surgery.

Good luck!

Thanks. Yea, my main concern is to not do it while young, and regret it later in life... I made sure to go to the best of the best for this surgery, which is going to cost be some $$. Thats kind of what i'm thinking. I get this resolved, and I can move on with my life. Work on other areas, and never let this hold me down again.

Also, you say my chin doesn't look too bad. Its tough, I really do believe it throws off the balance of my face. Makes me look weak, and makes my nose look much larger than it really is. If I just had more harmony, I'd feel so much more comfortable with myself. Big decision!

trojans101,

I would never decry anyone for trying to make the best of themselves.

However, have you had any counselling about this?

Some people blame their looks (or lack of them) for problems in their life and go into surgery to try and fix that. Then they discover that they still have the same problems after they've had the surgery.

Unfortunately I can't see the links you posted, but I hope you get the results you want.

• Like 2
  • Author
trojans101,

I would never decry anyone for trying to make the best of themselves.

However, have you had any counselling about this?

Some people blame their looks (or lack of them) for problems in their life and go into surgery to try and fix that. Then they discover that they still have the same problems after they've had the surgery.

Unfortunately I can't see the links you posted, but I hope you get the results you want.

Hey, have yet to have any counseling. I guess I could maybe schedule something. That said, according to my x-rays and after consulting with various surgeons whom aren't even plastic surgeons. They have all concluded I have a recessed chin and are willing to operate. Wish there was someway to send you the pics for you to check out.. Thanks for the response.

• Like 2
  • Author
Have you looked into having your jaw broken and moved forward? My daughter had to have that done, but hers was moved back because of an underbite. You look to have more overbite.

I would think moving your entire lower jaw would be easier and achieve what you're wanting.

It isn't bad as-is though.

Thanks, I'm actually a candidate to have double jaw surgery, but thats is too invasive for something cosmetic. My bite is great. and Airway is good. That said, my doctor would do the chin thing just to balance out my features for me.

As for your comment saying it isn't bad... My issue is, I think itll get worse with age and having a recessed chin as a male just is depressing in my opinion. Easy to get overlooked in nearly every aspect of your life when you don't have a lower half of your face.. Thanks again for the comment, appreciate it.

I think if you can afford it, it would be a good investment. Your confidence will be better and people may regard you a little differently (those who don't already know and love you of course). I would advise getting a second maxiofacial opinion first though.

And if you are in the US, look up both doctors on your state's medical board physician search and see if they have any bad things on their records. Be sure they're board-certified.

What happens if you grow a beard? Would it change the look of your chin?

Also, be 100 percent sure that this surgery will bring you confidence that you feel you need. Do counseling too. It can help if there are any other issues contributing to your anxiety issues, or is it all about your chin?

• Like 1

I have had one vanity and one corrective plastic surgery, even went back for a free touch up on the corrective one (plastic surgeon guaranteed satisfaction). Best thing I ever did. So happy with it.

But do your home work and really check into the reputation of your surgeon.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this at all. My only qualm is that too often I see young people (often early 20's) rushing into surgery because they see something wrong with their nose, breasts or some other aesthetic even though their appearance is objectively fine! So they're spending a lot of money on 'fixing' a nose that could be used as a model for plastic surgery... I think that's where most people's problems with plastic surgery stem from, the idea that it's unnecessary or shallow. We live in a culture where self-love is some revolutionary, idealized goal, when in reality, some people would be a lot happier just getting the help they want to be able to love themselves instead of trying to go at it the hard way and facing failure and insecurity. In short, I see nothing wrong with your surgery and it seems like it would improve your confidence AND your quality of life. So, if you've thought it through, just make sure all your research is done and it should be perfectly safe and beneficial in the long run.

Well, some posters here have said you look ok, so it seems unlikely that your chin could cause you so much distress-unless you were bullied about your chin at school by some sociopathic kid or something like that. If it really bugs you, get it done and if you are still having anxiety issues, then you know it's cause is not your chin after all. I'm more inclined to guess you have low self-esteem/low self-image issues and you're subconsciously focusing on your chin to avoid facing the truth. If you believe in yourself, others will believe in you too. It comes from within you, not from what you look like. If you were horribly disfigured, then there's better reason to be self-conscious. Subtle facial "weaknesses" are nothing in comparison. One of my boyfriends had a receding chin, but I loved his personality. And anyway, his chin was part of him, it was a part of his character.

Have you looked into cosmetic fillers instead of surgery? If you google "weak chin filler" there's heaps of information about it. Hyaluronic acid filler can last years if not longer in certain parts of the face. If I was you, I'd try filler first.