How do you make a difference in the world?

Do you feel that you're contributing to society? What is it that you're doing that makes you feel that you're making a difference or that make a difference to you? Are you trying to make a difference? Do you feel fulfilled in your lives?

Do you feel that you're contributing to society?

Yes I do

What is it that you're doing that makes you feel that you're making a difference or that make a difference to you?

I am known in my field, speaking and publishing on topics. I have been told that I have helped others grow in the profession. I also have worked across the USA and can see the projects I helped make happen. In addition to my full time profession, I spent many years in elected office making meaningful contributions. I see the roads, schools, business, and projects I helped make happen. I have also raised and saved one stepchild from some very difficult times and challenges. I know this child would have faced a horrible different life without me in it. I think I also saved my her mom (my wife) as well. Lastly I have my own child right now, and trying to make this child's life secure, loved, and even magical when I can.

Are you trying to make a difference?

Yes

Do you feel fulfilled in your lives?

In all areas except my love life. Can't have it all I guess.

Edited by dichotomy
  • Like 1

My employer tells me that I do. Without getting into too much detail, I deal with government/state funding that helps people who are down in their luck. Although sometimes I feel like people take advantage :/ it's hard to feel like I'm helping when I get yelled at all day haha

What is it that you're doing that makes you feel that you're making a difference or that make a difference to you?

This last year I've really focused on being less selfish. I've already donated toys and jackets to needy children, I've donated food to needy families and last month I signed up to volunteer at my local humane society. 10 years ago, these types of things would have been unheard of for me, not only because I was selfish and broke, but because my shyness made me almost socially reclusive.

I am! Very much so! I want to do more! It makes me feel good to help people/animals who need it. It helps me too, I'm hoping to meet more people (I don't have any friends).

Honestly? Not really. There are quite a few aspects I'm quite content with. But I still feel like I'm really selfish. I also feel really lonely all the time. I'm hoping that working more toward thinking of others will help.

• Like 1

Donate money to causes which I think will help those who are suffering.

Boycott products or services run by corrupt and dangerous groups/organisations.

Give me time to help those in my community who need it when I know I can help effectively.

Vote for political parties which will advance the world rather than destroy it or advance it for a very select group only.

This is how I contribute to bettering the world.

• Like 1

Several quotations spring to mind:

"Those who wish to change the world should start with a small garden."

'Think global, act local'.

"Oh lord, change the world. Begin, I pray thee, with me." (Cromwell).

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." (Gandhi.)

Most wise people advise that nobody can shift the mind-set of millions, and certainly not at a stroke.

But HH the DL does recommend Kindness, as a chosen religion.

The way to really set the ball rolling is to practise random acts of kindness, and just be nice. It's that easy.

Stem the flow of sharp words, and transform your attitude to one of compassion.

And smile.

It's contagious.

At the very least, you'll improve your own reputation.

That's wise planting....

Definitely.:)

My work has made a significant difference in this world. The causes I support make a difference too. In addition, I mentor, support, and help others. It's always a very pleasant and rewarding surprise, when someone contacts me years later to thank me and share how much of an impact I had on his or her life.

Absolutely. It's a driving force in my choices. I want to leave the world a much better place than I found it.

For the most part. It would be nice to marry the right guy for me and have a happy family life. That area of my life definitely needs more attention than I've given it so far. I haven't made it as much of a priority as I should have.

• 2 weeks later...
scooby-philly

Not really. I used to be a HS teacher. Now I work in corporate training. I don't feel like I contribute much to society, though I wish I could. I've been toying with the idea of either going back to teaching or moving onto something else since most corporate training is just b.s. info dumps. I do help run local professional development groups - I make a little contribution, but no much.

I love mentoring and helping others, but my job basically requires me to just sit in front of the computer and design training all day. I know it makes a little difference here or there, but I miss the hands on aspect of teaching where you could see the slow growth everyday.

In my own way. I want to become a college professor on either history, economics, or instructional design.

No - not at the present. A couple of friends and I will be starting our own professional development group this upcoming year - I hope between that, getting back to school, and just focusing on myself I can regain some of that sense of fulfillment, passion, and also just choose myself happy.

If you have the appropriate educational background, consider tutoring on a volunteer basis. Local schools are always looking for support. If you're a former teacher you have more than enough of a background.

Its a great way to invest skills that you already have into the future. There are lots of high schoolers who have never really been coached up academically. And if you're younger you might know how to push buttons on a teenager that the teachers underutilize.

Donate money to causes which I think will help those who are suffering.

Boycott products or services run by corrupt and dangerous groups/organisations.

Give me time to help those in my community who need it when I know I can help effectively.

Vote for political parties which will advance the world rather than destroy it or advance it for a very select group only.

This is how I contribute to bettering the world.

I boycott leftist organizations with dangerous beliefs.

I try to create a better community that values honest effort instead of freeloading.

I vote for political parties that reward honest effort and don't encourage a welfare state.