Does anyone feel like they lose their looks as they get older? Sadly I am starting to feel that way. Not sure what to do about that

I've noticed something, being largely invisible and decidedly average.... and being older. The slippage isn't that bad. I think it's a two-fold process. One, when one isn't drop dead gorgeous, there isn't far to fall. Two, when one isn't drop dead gorgeous, and especially when trending to forgetable, focus on appearance is largely irrelevant so, essentially, out of mind, out of sight; perception of change isn't as marked as if each detail of beauty has been scrutinized ones entire life.

Obviously, other people can certainly subjectively judge ones loss of looks, meaning decreasing physical attractiveness, as one ages. However, your question asks how we feel personally. I personally have seen it as a non-issue. In fact, I feel more comfortable about physical appearance since I opted out of the mating game after getting a divorce. It's nice to just live and love and enjoy the journey.

• Like 3
  • Author
I've noticed something, being largely invisible and decidedly average.... and being older. The slippage isn't that bad. I think it's a two-fold process. One, when one isn't drop dead gorgeous, there isn't far to fall. Two, when one isn't drop dead gorgeous, and especially when trending to forgetable, focus on appearance is largely irrelevant so, essentially, out of mind, out of sight; perception of change isn't as marked as if each detail of beauty has been scrutinized ones entire life.

Obviously, other people can certainly subjectively judge ones loss of looks, meaning decreasing physical attractiveness, as one ages. However, your question asks how we feel personally. I personally have seen it as a non-issue. In fact, I feel more comfortable about physical appearance since I opted out of the mating game after getting a divorce. It's nice to just live and love and enjoy the journey.

Interesting response. I was until recently boyishly handsome (maybe I still am, who knows), but now I just look kinda middle aged. Bald spot, some back hair, a bit of a gut, etc

• Author

And your positivity is great

• Like 1
Interesting response. I was until recently boyishly handsome (maybe I still am, who knows), but now I just look kinda middle aged. Bald spot, some back hair, a bit of a gut, etc

How old are you?

We cant avoid aging, but you can avoid the gut (if u want to).

We dont need as many calories as we age. And we need to eat better quality ones if we want to age well.

I definitely look older than 5 or ten years ago but im not any less fit or fatter. I dont really feel any older either.

• Author
How old are you?

We cant avoid aging, but you can avoid the gut (if u want to).

We dont need as many calories as we age. And we need to eat better quality ones if we want to age well.

I definitely look older than 5 or ten years ago but im not any less fit or fatter. I dont really feel any older either.

Hitting 40. Maybe that's all this is

The worst part is that feeling old makes you feel older if that makes any sense

Yup...and looking in the mirror at your wrinkles gives you more wrinkles - I swear it's true.

• Like 2
  • Author
Yup...and looking in the mirror at your wrinkles gives you more wrinkles - I swear it's true.

That one I believe

Does anyone feel like they lose their looks as they get older? Sadly I am starting to feel that way. Not sure what to do about that

Don’t worry. Feelings pass.

I used to feel that way, but I took consolation in the realization that perhaps I had never had looks in the first place and my aging was actually giving me insight and wisdom.

If that doesn’t work in warming your heart, go the scientific route and find fascination in physics, biology and genetics lessons being writ upon your own body.

If NONE of those work, put a film on your mirror like they used to use on the cameras for Doris Day and Mary Tyler Moore. Start viewing everything more like an impressionist painting than a crisp photograph.

:laugh::laugh:

• Like 5

Step back and look at the big picture. We are more than the sum of our parts. What you've lost in youthful skin and hair, you've gained in development as a person. Beauty shines through. To me, as a woman in my 40s, a well developed, fit man in his 40s is far sexier than a man in his 20s. Youth and hair don't count for much.

Lose the gut. That's about more than looks.

• Like 1

It's coming, but it's not here yet. Maybe 20 or even 30 more years before women that I deem attractive at any age stop wetting their panties when they see me.

Yep, I'm that good. But I use to be better. Some people will say they are the best they have ever been, now that they are older. But maybe they just weren't really that good before.

I wouldn't worry about it OP, live your life and have fun.

• Like 1
It's coming, but it's not here yet. Maybe 20 or even 30 more years before women that I deem attractive at any age stop wetting their panties when they see me.

Yep, I'm that good. But I use to be better. Some people will say they are the best they have ever been, now that they are older. But maybe they just weren't really that good before.

I wouldn't worry about it OP, live your life and have fun.

Ah, but the wet panty is not the only measure of delight. One might argue that it is not the finest either.

The knowing glance, the understanding and appreciative laugh, the delicate fencing of exchange, the subtle touch conveying deep connection all take on a richness only a connoisseur can savor- and MAN! it’s good…. :laugh:

Look at it from a different perspective. If you loved a woman for 20 years, you very might well believe she is the best she's ever been now that she's older. It doesn't mean she wasn't that great before.

But if you feel you used to be better, take heart in the words of the mediocre Toby Keith:

"I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was." :laugh:

• Like 1
Hitting 40. Maybe that's all this is

If you are starting to feel like you're looking old here is my best advice. Get the f*ck off the internet. I was feeling like you and the less time I spent on the internet the less I cared about what I looked like. Serious. Give it a try.

• Like 1
  • Author
If you are starting to feel like you're looking old here is my best advice. Get the f*ck off the internet. I was feeling like you and the less time I spent on the internet the less I cared about what I looked like. Serious. Give it a try.

Thanks, heather. Maybe I'll take your advice (well I guess not this second)

• Like 1
Nikki Sahagin

Well it happens to us all doesn't it? We age and lose youth and looks bit by bit.

I think people who were never bomb shells or hunks can look better with age. Some people peak very young. Other people come into their own as time passes. I take solace from the fact that my mum is in her 60s but still looks very young and is hit on by men about 20 years younger than her.

I think it's distressing for all of us to think that we lose how we look, especially if you like how you look.

I think it's easier to age if you are an average/below average person because you don't have much to mourn. If you are strikingly beautiful or handsome, age can be devestating (part of why gorgeous celebs start surgery so young - they fear the lose of looks).

• Author
Well it happens to us all doesn't it? We age and lose youth and looks bit by bit.

I think people who were never bomb shells or hunks can look better with age. Some people peak very young. Other people come into their own as time passes. I take solace from the fact that my mum is in her 60s but still looks very young and is hit on by men about 20 years younger than her.

I think it's distressing for all of us to think that we lose how we look, especially if you like how you look.

I think it's easier to age if you are an average/below average person because you don't have much to mourn. If you are strikingly beautiful or handsome, age can be devestating (part of why gorgeous celebs start surgery so young - they fear the lose of looks).

I always thought I was pretty good looking but now - kind of blah

I've been having an especially hard time because, for work, I'm in videos thousands of people see and I'm becoming so high maintenance to stay looking the way I do. I'd never have plastic surgery. I want to age like a human being and not worry my plastic face will melt off if I'm too close to the stove. I also don't want to lose the ability to smile since that's one of my best assets. And I also don't want to look like I'm constantly trapped in a high speed wind tunnel.

I thought I wasn't doing too well with keeping up my appearance and then people from high school said what felt like the oddest thing. "You look like you just stepped out of the yearbook!"

I always did have quite a regime my whole life to look the way I did. I never look like I just rolled out of bed, I just look put together. Not a lot of makeup but wouldn't even go into my own kitchen without some on even if I'm home alone!

The biggest change I think I've had to deal with is the skin on my face gets drier these days and I have to be more diligent about washing it but I have zero wrinkles. Just absolutely none! What's my secret? I don't see myself as getting older and have no plans to ever retire, just like 90% of my relatives on both sides of my family. I'll work until I die just like they did and I guess I'm going to look pretty good doing it because it's working so far.

I have a friend who is always getting down and saying strange things to me like "ugh, I hate getting older" and I wonder what kind of crack she's smoking because we're the same age. She wants to retire already and doesn't understand the whole concept that I never will.

I think my mentality has everything to do with shocking the people I went to high school with by appearing not to age a day in 20 years.

The only reason I feel it's such a big chore these days to look the way I do is purely the fact that I've been doing this over 20 years and I'm just downright bored with it! I'm so tired of the same routine with my clothes, my hair, makeup, shaving every single day 365 days a year without fail...it's just become so boring.

If I let myself go, I think I'd hate it. So, on with the same old boring routine! The exact routine I had when I was about 15.

BrokenManAgain

God!!

Two knee surgeries and a back surgery. Still a flat stomach but I have not seen my six pack in two decades.

Don't kid yourself, decades of weight training and running will wear down your body and I did it, not because I wanted to look good. I did it because my job demanded it.

And a nice suit and a big wallet covers all of this up.