Learning a language for my now ex girlfriend

Mathematics

Hi all

I need some motivational words. I dated a girl for 10 months and learnt her language to a decent standard over that time. Since she dumped me I have only been able to face it once. It feels like a waste to not continue to learn but it just reminds me of her. Would be amazing self improvement though and I enjoyed learning it.

Motivate me!

Thanks

PegNosePete

Learn it for you, and so that you can pick up chicks who speak that language.

I had almost 100% success rate on dating sites when sending messages in Italian, even when the message was totally lame like "Ciao, come stai?". Using another language instantly makes you stand out of the crowd and more interesting to have a conversation.

Mathematics,

If you have learned a foreign language to a reasonable good level - hey, that's smart!

Forget about picking up girls using the language, that's really shallow - you could travel, tutor others, become a guide, a translator, lots of good options.

Now you are learning it for you, so do the best you can and put it to good use.

Good luck

I must be passionate about that country's culture, art, history and I must love the sound of that language to continue studying it. It goes beyond one person...

So if you want to learn that language, use stuff that you like for it - when I was learning Spanish, I was going to the Cervantes Institute all the time, reading about Velasquez et looking at some purely Spanish paintings... everything was explained in Spanish. It's not just about the language, to me, at least... it's about the culture. I have to like the culture.

• 2 weeks later...
Does it matter?

Well, if it's Spanish or Mandarin it's a very useful language to have. If it's Khymer or Icelandic, a bit less so...

Hope Shimmers

I speak 3 languages - Spanish is the second one. I learned Spanish in college in an academic way but wasn't really fluent until being in a long-term relationship with a man who is Puerto Rican and didn't come to the US until he was a teenager. He is VERY fluent in both English (better than most natives, although accented) and Spanish. When we were together we mostly communicated in Spanish, although sometimes when the conversation was complex I needed it to be in English because I was less able to deal with the complicated nuances of the Spanish language than he was with English.

You're learning it for the next girl who you can impress with the new language. I learned just a small amount of Russian from a past woman and I get to use it several times a year on some random girl. It works great, and I bet I know far less than you have learned respectively.

In fact, I did it just today! I noticed the unusual spelling on the girl's name tag. Turns out, there was a Ukrainian AND Russian woman working in the bank line today! I threw a few simple words at her and she was loving it. I stood there for about 15 minutes talking with her right at the teller window. Fun times!

It won't always remind you of her. I mostly became interested in learning Spanish because I dated someone from Spain. We've long broken up, but I kept up learning Spanish because I love the language. It's been fun and I'm glad I didn't give it up.