felt off balance doing yoga?

I finally got around to taking a yoga class but it was an aquatics class. It was very hard for me to maintain the poses because I kept feeling off balance. Trying to hold the position, breathe on cue, think about my posture & center as well as not fall over was very tough & I ended up with a horrible headache.

Is it me? Was I doing it wrong? Should I have tried yoga on dry land first?

After the class, I was so stressed out & unhappy I jumped in the other pool & swam laps until I calmed down.

TouchedByViolet

Lol, if it is a high level of difficulty then I would say you just need practice. It was your first time and in the water so... I imagine you are just being hard on yourself....

If it was actually easy stuff, you feel like it shouldn't have been a problem and you have noticed a decrease in motor skills generally then maybe you should see a doctor. Could be symptoms of a brain problem.

• Author

It was easy stuff. Most of my "classmates" were retirees. For them it was more about movement / breathing at all not necessarily doing it perfectly but the lack of balance had me concerned. I asked the teacher but she said I'm too tense. Her reply wasn't helpful.

TaraMaiden2

Actually... It was. You just didn't think it was.

Yoga is about moving into a pose and relaxing into it.

It's about aligning the breath to the movement, to the concentration to the release....

My Mother used to teach Yoga.

I would say you'd be best doing Yoga on dry land.

One of the problems experienced with water yoga is the unseen waves set up by the movements of people around you....

If you're in the middle of a bunch of people, they will all set up under-surface waves which cause buffeting, however subtle....So you get rocked to and fro'...

Our instinct, if we fall, or believe we are going to knock into something is to stiffen up and brace ourselves for an impact. We tense up.

They do say a drunk falling down the stairs is unlikely to hurt himself as much as someone sober, doing it, because they're in a, shall we say... 'relaxed' state....

being moved about by the waves made by those around you, caused you to stiffen, to resist....

Try 'dry-land' yoga, until you feel totally comfortable with yourself...

• Like 1

LOL! Yeah. That’s yoga!

There’s this parable about the student and master that kind of goes like this: the student asks, “Master, how do you maintain such perfect balance?” And the master says, “I don’t. My adjustments just become more subtle the more I practice.” Someone who’s more yogi than I probably knows it better.

I hope you liked yoga. It’s pretty great in a nothing kind of way. :D

... until you feel totally comfortable with yourself...

I agree with TaraMaiden to do dry land first... but I have to ask, Tara, is this ^^ even possible? :D just kidding.

Edited by BlueIris
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've never tried water yoga. If you didn't like it, it doesn't mean that you don't like yoga or that you suck. You might need to try a few different styles (power, hatha, yin, etc) before finding one that you like. Even different teachers can make a difference in how much you enjoy the practice. Try it on land and look for a beginners or all-levels class.

I was awful for weeks when I first got into yoga. I was very off balance, kept toppling over, felt like I was a big clutz and that I'll never move as gracefully as the other gals in my class. And then... I just started focusing on my breathing, and feeling what my body was doing and quit worrying what the other people were doing. My body adapted and I finally found my balance. Just keep on trying! You'll get there.

Try dry yoga and yes it is totally normal. Set up next to a pole or something you can hold on to. My first three or four yoga sessions we painfully embarrassing balance wise - like monkey humping a football bad. But you'll get the hang the hang of it.

• Like 1

I find yoga to be one of the best things for bringing balance and clarity in my life. But I've never tried water yoga. It sounds like an added challenge that's probably unnecessary for a beginner. And I would imagine in water, there were probably a lot of standing, balancing poses, which can be frustrating for a beginner.

I would say try it on land. Besides making it easier to focus the movement and breath, there is also a great deal of "grounding" that comes from just practicing barefoot on dry land.

Don't give up on it though! It has so many benefits. What's great about yoga is it's an internal learning experience. It's as physical as it is mental. If you fall over in a balance pose, you smile, forgive yourself and try again... It's going to feel awkward and maybe a little frustrating at first, but it takes practice just like any other discipline.