Losing my job soon...

I've only had one job my entire life, a part time retail job I've been working for seven years. Originally, it was a job I figured I'd have for a couple years while in college before moving on to something bigger and better, but that never happened. Today, we were informed that in a couple months, our store will be shutting down.

Now, last year, I completed my education, graduating from a trade school for a specific field. I've been searching for an entry level position for over a year, now, and I've found few opportunities, and the ones I did find and apply to didn't even call me in for an interview. This has been very frustrating, but at least I had something to fall back on in the meantime.

There is potential to transfer to another location in the chain, but none of them are particularly local to me. I guess if worst comes to worst, I'll have to suck it up and just try to deal with the commute for as long as I can.

Truth be told, though, I want out of retail/ service very badly. I've never liked that type of job, and I've wanted out for years, now, so the thought of transferring to another location in the chain, or even just finding another retail/ service job is not very appealing to me at all. But I'm also not having any luck finding something in the field I pursued my education with, and beyond that, I don't think I have any skills or qualifications for some other type of job. So I don't know where that leaves me. Not to mention, being that I'm 26, I really feel like I should be working full time, right now, and I'm not sure there are very many full time opportunities I qualify for.

On a personal level, I have a lot of mixed feelings right now. I'm not sad or upset or "freaking out". It feels very weird to me to think that I know the exact date that I'll be leaving the place I've spent the last seven years of my life, but at the same time, I've been waiting for that day, I just hoped it would come under different circumstances. And perhaps this is weird, but what I'm most disappointed about is that after spending so much time doing a job I hated, I hoped I'd get to leave on my own terms, rather than "go down with the ship", and now I don't even get that satisfaction.

So, I just... I don't really know what I'm going to do. I'm not panicking as much as I probably should be right now, I guess because it hasn't really "hit" me, yet.

SycamoreCircle

This is a blessing in disguise. I learned a lot last year about letting go of attachments. Trust that wherever you are, whatever you are doing, you are going to be OK.

Be careful with your money between now and the end. Find ways to cut corners in spending. Start to consider another type of work you would like to try out.

Everything will be alright.

• Like 2
Clarence_Boddicker

Use this opportunity to withdraw as much as your unemployment taxes as possible. Last I checked, layoffs are not a disputable unemployment claim. Work under the table if you need to supplement whatever unemployment funds you get. A friend of mine was on funemployment for like 3 years. All he had to do was to send bogus resumes for positions he wasn't qualified for like executive positions in unrelated fields.

Truth be told, though, I want out of retail/ service very badly. I've never liked that type of job, and I've wanted out for years, now, so the thought of transferring to another location in the chain, or even just finding another retail/ service job is not very appealing to me at all. But I'm also not having any luck finding something in the field I pursued my education with, and beyond that, I don't think I have any skills or qualifications for some other type of job. So I don't know where that leaves me. Not to mention, being that I'm 26, I really feel like I should be working full time, right now, and I'm not sure there are very many full time opportunities I qualify for.

I actually think this is a good thing for you. You've been treading water for ages, posting the same threads over and over again....but never changing a thing. Now you are being forced to change.

Since you have a college degree, you are qualified to do a lot of things. Just start going through the classifieds (newspaper and online) and search through entry level jobs in any field. Any field, not just whatever you majored in. There's actually a lot you can do -- banks, insurance, call centers, sales, etc. And of course retail and the food service industry. You easily have skills to go to another retail store given the seven years you've just put in, and likely those skills are transferrable. Do some searches on how to describe things you've done on a resume in the most effective way.

• Like 2

I don't mean to be insulting, OP, but maybe this will help you get out of your passivity and apathy.

I hope it does, because so far all else has failed.

• Author

Perhaps, but I foresee two potential scenarios; either:

A) I transfer to another store, or I'm forced to take another part time low-paying retail/ service job that I hate, which puts me right back in the same spot I'm currently in. Or...

B) I don't transfer, and I can't find another job for a very long time, and my lack of income/ employment eats away at me and I spiral further and further down into depression.

Neither of those is a very pleasant scenario to me.

Since you have a college degree, you are qualified to do a lot of things. Just start going through the classifieds (newspaper and online) and search through entry level jobs in any field. Any field, not just whatever you majored in. There's actually a lot you can do -- banks, insurance, call centers, sales, etc. And of course retail and the food service industry. You easily have skills to go to another retail store given the seven years you've just put in, and likely those skills are transferrable. Do some searches on how to describe things you've done on a resume in the most effective way.

To be fair, all I really have to show for my time spent in college is a diploma from a trade school. Can't imagine that's really worth much to employers, especially ones that aren't of the trade.

I desperately want out of retail/ service/ sales type jobs. It's just too frustrating to me, and I hate that type of work. But I don't think I can really do anything else. And don't get me wrong, I understand employers will train you to some extent, but I'll frequently look over job listings and look at what kind of tasks you'll be expected to perform, and I find myself thinking "I really don't think I could perform that job well enough to justify hiring me over someone else".

It's true, I don't know how to "sell" myself on a resume based on my experience (or lack thereof), but that's only half the battle. If I can manage to get an interview, I have to "sell" myself there, and that's much harder to do in person. I'm not the type that can go to an interview and be confidently agreeable to the interviewer. I'm more prone to being honest, for me, "honest" means being unsure that I can perform the job to their expectations.

ColdandLonelyinAK

I can relate to feeling lost in terms of work, as I'm in the same boat right now. I lost my job back in March (issues with management), and it really made me think about my future quite a bit. I went to our university here and enrolled back in school to finish my degree. I start courses Monday, but one of my summer courses goes into the evening so I don't think I will be able to get a job after all, unless I can find one that will let me work Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Otherwise, I have to wait until fall semester to work again.

I have felt absolutely worthless without a job, even though I hated it. The job I had before that, I lost because of an issue with my ex. So I've lost TWO jobs in one year. It's amazing how much your work ties into your identity, but neither of those jobs were a career, and it sounds like you're on the right track with having completed your education. Just have patience. Education is important. I wish I had finished it sooner. That's a big plus for you. I have been living off my savings. That's why I always tell people to save, save, save. I also got some money from student loans but I won't go crazy with it. Just be responsible until you find something new and you should be ok. You may even find something before the two months is up.

Btw, retail sucks. I've been there too. Lol

Use this opportunity to withdraw as much as your unemployment taxes as possible. Last I checked, layoffs are not a disputable unemployment claim. Work under the table if you need to supplement whatever unemployment funds you get. A friend of mine was on funemployment for like 3 years. All he had to do was to send bogus resumes for positions he wasn't qualified for like executive positions in unrelated fields.

And this is horrendous advice. Advising the OP to commit fraud? Great idea. :mad:

Please OP, do not listen to this. If you are caught doing what this person advised you will be stuck owing the state overpayments. In some cases, some overpayments can be taken from your taxes and in worst case scenarios can lead to jailtime.

Yes, file for unemployment if possible. PLEASE do not commit fraud.

I do suggest seeking employment NOW before you are laid off as more employers are willing to hire if you already have a job (this is archaic, but unfortunately still happens.)

• Author
And this is horrendous advice. Advising the OP to commit fraud? Great idea. :mad:

Please OP, do not listen to this. If you are caught doing what this person advised you will be stuck owing the state overpayments. In some cases, some overpayments can be taken from your taxes and in worst case scenarios can lead to jailtime.

Yes, file for unemployment if possible. PLEASE do not commit fraud.

I do suggest seeking employment NOW before you are laid off as more employers are willing to hire if you already have a job (this is archaic, but unfortunately still happens.)

Heh, honestly, I didn't even understand what that person was even talking about. I've only had one job my entire life, so I have no real understanding of this stuff, because I've never had to even think about it before.

What do you want to do?

I like doing video editing and other post production work on audio visual/ digital media. I got my diploma in broadcast media. Which, by the way, I just wanted to kind of restate, I really just have a diploma from a trade school, so let's not oversell the notion that I've "completed my education".

Anyway, opportunities for me have been few and far between. I've even tried reaching out to local TV stations, I even tried contacting local businesses that might have some kind of video component, I've even tried offering my services for free in a sort of internship type position, and I've applied to every entry level position I could find, and it's amounted to nothing. Nothing in an entire year.

camillalev
Heh, honestly, I didn't even understand what that person was even talking about. I've only had one job my entire life, so I have no real understanding of this stuff, because I've never had to even think about it before.

I like doing video editing and other post production work on audio visual/ digital media. I got my diploma in broadcast media. Which, by the way, I just wanted to kind of restate, I really just have a diploma from a trade school, so let's not oversell the notion that I've "completed my education".

Anyway, opportunities for me have been few and far between. I've even tried reaching out to local TV stations, I even tried contacting local businesses that might have some kind of video component, I've even tried offering my services for free in a sort of internship type position, and I've applied to every entry level position I could find, and it's amounted to nothing. Nothing in an entire year.

Inflikted you need to not get down on yourself or your setbacks. I know its easier said than done from personal experince, but perseverance is the only thing that will get you what you want. Even if it feels really difficult.

You've been applying to editing jobs, do you have a portfolio? You need at least 6 quality pieces that show what you're about. If you don't, get on it and don't be afraid to get creative. I Usually get hired or remembered for my creative projects, even if the job isn't necessarily so. Some people love things in my website that have nothing to do with the job description.

If you do have a portfolio are they your best pieces? Only include what you are proud of, that you know look good. And make more. I've been tempted to pad out my portfolio just to have more stuff, don't do that.

You don't need a college degree in the creative field, just a portfolio and experince.

I've been where you are and I made a huge improvement on my life by seeing what I want and making a realistic plan on how to get it. It sucked and took time but it was SO worth it.

Justanaverageguy

Sometimes in life when we are "stuck" life finds a way to give us the push we need to get moving again. Deep down if you look inside the reason you are not panicking is because you are relieved that the store is closing. You weren't brave enough to make the decision to quit .... so life made it for you. So you could move onto what you are supposed to be doing. To your true purpose.

Now you have an amazing opportunity. The opportunity to be free to do what ever you want. You also have new added motivation to find that opportunity. See you have been looking for jobs and applying the last 12months - but you weren't really looking. You were just kind of looking. You already had a job so it didn't really matter whether you got one or not and your efforts reflected that. But now you don't have a job. Now it matters. Now your effort and performance will reflect that. Now you will really start looking. Now you will really start working towards getting what you want. Now you will start using all available time and resources to work towards it because now ..... the clock is ticking.

Start today. Start working towards getting your dream job and believe that its possible. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN-3ohljcCc

• Author
You've been applying to editing jobs, do you have a portfolio? You need at least 6 quality pieces that show what you're about. If you don't, get on it and don't be afraid to get creative. I Usually get hired or remembered for my creative projects, even if the job isn't necessarily so. Some people love things in my website that have nothing to do with the job description.

If you do have a portfolio are they your best pieces? Only include what you are proud of, that you know look good. And make more. I've been tempted to pad out my portfolio just to have more stuff, don't do that.

I do have an online "portfolio" that I make sure to send along when I apply for things, but all it really has are the projects I worked on back when I was in school. I don't personally own a high quality camera for shooting video, and even if I did, I don't really know what I'd shoot, as I'm not really a creative, "idea" person.

Now you have an amazing opportunity. The opportunity to be free to do what ever you want. You also have new added motivation to find that opportunity. See you have been looking for jobs and applying the last 12months - but you weren't really looking. You were just kind of looking. You already had a job so it didn't really matter whether you got one or not and your efforts reflected that. But now you don't have a job. Now it matters. Now your effort and performance will reflect that. Now you will really start looking. Now you will really start working towards getting what you want. Now you will start using all available time and resources to work towards it because now ..... the clock is ticking.

I guess, but I'm not really feeling any more optimistic about finding something. :/

Justanaverageguy

I guess, but I'm not really feeling any more optimistic about finding something. :/

Let me give you a tip on how to perform emotional and motivational gymnastics. The way you "feel" about something depends not on what is actually happening. Not on the event itself. I also can't tell you to just feel differently about something. How you feel is controlled by only one thing. How you choose to "view" what is happening. The "meaning" you attach to the event. The exact same event can give you different emotions depending on the meaning you decide it has.

Simple example: You have a date with a girl and try to get a table at your favorite restaurant but its booked out. You can choose to view this as a massive inconvenience be annoyed and frustrated that you couldn't get into the restaurant. This will put you in a negative space and give you emotions of being annoyed maybe even getting angry at the waiter. Alternatively you can choose to view it as a great opportunity to try a new restaurant. Suggest something different to your date and be excited to try something new. This will mean you carry positive energy and enthusiasm in to the date.

Holding onto which one of these view points is more likely to result in you having a good date ? The one who acts annoyed the restaurant is booked out .... or the one who goes ok no problem I have this great idea for another restaurant I've been super excited to try.

Think of the same thing with the job. You can choose to see the fact that you have to get a new job as an inconvenience. That would likely cause you to feel annoyed and frustrated you have to find a new job. You could also even choose to view it as devastating and that you will never find another job. That would likely elicit the emotion of despair, sadness and depression.

But you can also consciously choose to see it as an amazing opportunity to do something new and exciting. To chase your dream job. See how that makes you feel and what emotion it creates in you. Then think about which view point is more likely to assist you in getting the job you want ?

Up to you man .... its all in your head ;)

camillalev
I do have an online "portfolio" that I make sure to send along when I apply for things, but all it really has are the projects I worked on back when I was in school. I don't personally own a high quality camera for shooting video, and even if I did, I don't really know what I'd shoot, as I'm not really a creative, "idea" person.

Find someone who does and team up with them. A cinematographer, director, whatever. Seek them out. No doubt there are people in that position who want editors. You can also find footage on the web and cut them together. Borrow a can, any can, from someone or use an iPhone? Don't sit back and wait for somethtng to appear magically, it won't. I can see your mindset is only seeing locked doors and waiting for someone to open it for you, but what you really need to do is blow a hole through the wall.

You need to do something otherwise nothing is guaranteed to happen.

• Author
Find someone who does and team up with them. A cinematographer, director, whatever. Seek them out. No doubt there are people in that position who want editors. You can also find footage on the web and cut them together. Borrow a can, any can, from someone or use an iPhone? Don't sit back and wait for somethtng to appear magically, it won't. I can see your mindset is only seeing locked doors and waiting for someone to open it for you, but what you really need to do is blow a hole through the wall.

You need to do something otherwise nothing is guaranteed to happen.

I've been looking, and I've reached out to several such people over the last year or so, but I just can't really get anyone to respond for whatever reason. I've probably contacted all the local production companies and other such organizations I've found on Google over the last year, and I've gotten nothing back from anyone. I don't know if there's some other avenue to finding and getting in touch with such people that I'm not aware of?

Even if I could get a hold of a camera, the question becomes, what do I shoot? What do I make? Like I said, I'm not a creative thinker, that way. I don't have "ideas" like that.

I also have a YouTube channel, as a hobby, that I make regular content for, but it's just a silly thing, and honestly, I've never been able to amass any kind of viewership. So, it's not like the content I'm making for this thing is really doing anything for me or my career.

• Author

I spent much of my day off today looking for jobs to apply for that I could reasonably perform. Only found and applied for one. I'm starting to get panicky, because I can't imagine even being without an income for even a month. I don't know what I'm going to do if I can't get a new job right away. Too many bills to pay, and whatnot.

And I just can't see anything working out for me within the next two months. What the heck am I going to do? :/

I spent much of my day off today looking for jobs to apply for that I could reasonably perform. Only found and applied for one. I'm starting to get panicky, because I can't imagine even being without an income for even a month. I don't know what I'm going to do if I can't get a new job right away. Too many bills to pay, and whatnot.

And I just can't see anything working out for me within the next two months. What the heck am I going to do? :/

Just breathe.

Many people in MUCH worse situations survive everyday. There are many resources and programs for people who are struggling. You will quickly learn what those programs are, if you ever have to.

In the meantime, you'll continue to be in my prayers! :)

Time for you to pursue a real job. Go apply and get your unemployment benefits.

Then find a cheap community college and start getting your degree for a LPN, licensed professional nurse. Only go to a school that is accredited by ACEN or CCNE! Most public colleges will have this. Do not go to a diploma mill school.

Between grants and federal loans you will pay nothing until you finish the degree. You're just in time to get started for classes in August and September. Get a server position at a nice restaurant while you're going through school.

A year from now you'll be done and able to get a job in any city in the country starting at $15-20 per hour with lots of upward potential. You'll be able to finish your RN degree online and move up to $25-30 per hour.

• Like 1

Then find a cheap community college and start getting your degree for a LPN, licensed professional nurse. Only go to a school that is accredited by ACEN or CCNE! Most public colleges will have this. Do not go to a diploma mill school.

Between grants and federal loans you will pay nothing until you finish the degree. You're just in time to get started for classes in August and September. Get a server position at a nice restaurant while you're going through school.

A year from now you'll be done and able to get a job in any city in the country starting at $15-20 per hour with lots of upward potential. You'll be able to finish your RN degree online and move up to $25-30 per hour.

Excellent post and very constructive advice!

Definitely try this if you can OP :)

• Author

That's definitely a very sensible plan, but I'm not cut out for the medical field. Not to mention, I'm much too squeamish and have a very weak stomach.

I wish I had more of an affinity to something reasonable such as that, but I really don't. There's nothing I can think of that I feel like I could do well enough and consistently enough to make a proper living. Meh. I really suck...

Justanaverageguy
That's definitely a very sensible plan, but I'm not cut out for the medical field. Not to mention, I'm much too squeamish and have a very weak stomach.

I wish I had more of an affinity to something reasonable such as that, but I really don't. There's nothing I can think of that I feel like I could do well enough and consistently enough to make a proper living. Meh. I really suck...

Then do exactly what was advised but simply remove "nurse" and replace it with another job your genuinely interested in and have passion for.

Before you couldn't see how you could get through a month with out a salary - this plan does that and improves your education in the field you wan't to work.

2 birds - 1 stone.

• Author
Then do exactly what was advised but simply remove "nurse" and replace it with another job your genuinely interested in and have passion for.

Before you couldn't see how you could get through a month with out a salary - this plan does that and improves your education in the field you wan't to work.

2 birds - 1 stone.

And again, there's nothing else I'm interested in or have anything resembling "passion" for. The only thing I have an affinity for is doing work with video, like I said before, but again, I can't seem to get any kind of footing in this industry. I have no affinities for anything else, and there's really nothing else I can imagine myself being good enough at to make a long term career out of.

Even then, finding another "service" job to work in the meantime (which again, I REALLY want out of this type of job, after seven years of doing it) isn't necessarily an easy thing to do, either. Even with my experience, I'm not guaranteed to get hired somewhere else.

Justanaverageguy
And again, there's nothing else I'm interested in or have anything resembling "passion" for. The only thing I have an affinity for is doing work with video, like I said before, but again, I can't seem to get any kind of footing in this industry. I have no affinities for anything else, and there's really nothing else I can imagine myself being good enough at to make a long term career out of.

Even then, finding another "service" job to work in the meantime (which again, I REALLY want out of this type of job, after seven years of doing it) isn't necessarily an easy thing to do, either. Even with my experience, I'm not guaranteed to get hired somewhere else.

There is nothing else you are interested in .... ? If thats really true then you have bigger problems then your job. But the thing is I really don't believe it to be true. Every one has passions and interests. What do you do in your spare time .... do you read ? Do you write ? Do you play sport ? Do you enjoy adventuring in the outdoors ? Do you like to cook ? Do you enjoy music ? Do you enjoy computers and IT ?

What do you do with the 16 hours of the day you are not at work and your weekends other then sleep ?