Bad things always happen to me

isabellemarss

They're not as bad as other people's problems, I know that. But my problems are literally ridiculous. Literally worthy of a pathetic, amused pity. And that's what's really depressing me.

Earlier today I chipped almost half of my front tooth. The dentist told me she was gonna get it filled but if it hurts, she's gonna have to extract it. I'm devastated. I don't want to have dentures or crowns or whatever. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna look funny with mismatched front teeth and I'd have to live with that all my life. I'm never gonna get a boyfriend or land a good job.

Last December I broke my big toe which kept me out of the biggest cheer competition in my life.

I keep on being attracted to guys who are either downright unavailable, attracted to my friend, or rude a-holes.

I don't know why I have the worst luck ever. I would actually handle it more if my problems actually sounded serious. No one's gonna understand my pathetic problems.

Your problems have little to nothing to do with bad luck.

It's all about the choices you make and the careless actions you take.

How did you chip your tooth and how did you break your toe?

Not getting why the dentist would have to pull out the entire tooth as opposed to filing it down, having it filled with cement (aka root canal) and then placing a post and cap over it which will perfectly match the rest of your teeth.

loveweary11

Wizer is right.

There is not much "luck" in life. You make choices that creat stabilty or instability.

loveweary11

Wizer is right.

There is not much "luck" in life. You make choices that creat stabilty or instability.

They're not as bad as other people's problems, I know that. But my problems are literally ridiculous. Literally worthy of a pathetic, amused pity. And that's what's really depressing me.

Earlier today I chipped almost half of my front tooth. The dentist told me she was gonna get it filled but if it hurts, she's gonna have to extract it. I'm devastated. I don't want to have dentures or crowns or whatever. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna look funny with mismatched front teeth and I'd have to live with that all my life. I'm never gonna get a boyfriend or land a good job.

Last December I broke my big toe which kept me out of the biggest cheer competition in my life.

I keep on being attracted to guys who are either downright unavailable, attracted to my friend, or rude a-holes.

I don't know why I have the worst luck ever. I would actually handle it more if my problems actually sounded serious. No one's gonna understand my pathetic problems.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Unlike the other posters, I do believe in good luck/bad luck. Some things are within your control and some things not. For example, physical accidents happen. You can't live your life holed up in your house and never doing anything just to be "safe". And as far as romance, you learn as you get older to screen better and earlier for availability, but a lot of times meeting someone perfect comes down to being at the right place at the right time, which is luck.

• Like 1
Clarence_Boddicker

A proper dental implant can last a long time & look 100% natural. They are expensive though.

Are you a very impulsive person? I'm assuming that you chipped your tooth by falling down. Same thing with your toe, you probably smacked it into something by running around or being careless. If not, ignore the rest. You don't have to live a chaotic life with lots of stress & running around due to looming deadlines. You do have the ability to focus & pay full attention to what you're doing at the moment. What's going on in your phone or with friends can wait a few minutes. A chaotic family can cause issues, but you have the ability to learn & anticipate crap they do that causes you chaos. If they always are dropping you off late, lie about your deadline time to compensate. Causing & living in chaos is a form of drama. You can chose to live with drama or not.

Boys are easy. Figure out what you want & more importantly don't want. When you see a boy you're attracted to, stop and do a bit of digging and or objective observation, before you approach him. Past & current behavior is a very good indication of future behavior. Talk to his ex's and see how he treated them. Watch how he acts around girls & when he's only around his guy friends. How does his crew treat girls? The hardest thing will be to see everything you're watching, not just what you want to see. Don't be one of those girls who falls in love with a boy before you even talk to him. Don't be that girl who hates, with a passion, all his ex's, even the ones he had before you even met him. HS & college are highly social environments, it's easy to find ex's to talk to.

• Like 1
I'm sorry to hear that.

Unlike the other posters, I do believe in good luck/bad luck. Some things are within your control and some things not. For example, physical accidents happen. You can't live your life holed up in your house and never doing anything just to be "safe". And as far as romance, you learn as you get older to screen better and earlier for availability, but a lot of times meeting someone perfect comes down to being at the right place at the right time, which is luck.

Neither I, nor the poster who agreed with me stated that there is no such thing as good or bad luck. Of course there are things we cannot control, no matter how careful we are or what choices we make. We might get in a car accident because some drunk guy slams into us from the side and we have no warning, or go down in a plane crash because the pilot didn't realize he was heading for a mountain.

Then there are factors we CAN control. I was specifically referring to the examples given in the initial post when I said those problems have little to nothing to do with bad luck, they are probably all due to bad choices or carelessness, although I don't know enough about the toe and teeth injuries to say for sure but I'd be willing to bet they were not the result of some random uncontrollable act, just like all these poor relationship choices were not bad luck either. It doesn't take experience or intelligence to know that if a guy is with some other girl, or if he's a rude Ahole, then he is not a good choice for a relationship partner.

That's a sweeping generalization to say that the examples given in the OP were all due to bad choices. She didn't give enough detail about any of those to conclude that.

Edited by Popsicle
  • Like 2
That's a sweeping generalization to say that the examples given in the OP were all due to bad choices. She didn't give enough detail about any of those to conclude that.

Take a look at the title of the thread.

Do you see the word "Always" in there?

As in "Bad things always happen to the Op".

That's not sometimes, that's putting 100% of the blame on forces outside of the Ops control. Which is of course, highly unlikely.

StalwartMind

I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad streak of misfortune, our body is indispensable to our existence, so when one suffer from accidents or other implications it can affect us deeply. When on top of things it happens to people like you, who are in a competitive environment where looks and fitness play a large role, it can be even more devastating.

It is true there are people who are a lot worse off, but that's why I believe it's not a good idea to compare issues, they are all unique in the sense that they mean different things on multiple levels to each individual.

To some degree we can't control who we are attracted to, the heart and mind wants what it wants. Despite that, I do believe we are all capable of growing to appreciate new qualities in others, typically with age a shift can occur. So it is likely than things will balance out eventually, and the type you feel most drawn to will lead to better experiences.

You may feel no one is going to understand your problems and that they are pathetic, but the truth is that many actually do, even those who are more "blessed" and fortunate.

None of us can control how you wish to view yourself, but we can at least offer you an alternative perspective. Everyone have periods where their "luck" is hot and other times cold. I do however believe that through better choice in actions, we can influence it somewhat so that it eventually evens out quite well. Every single thing you do in life carries a certain risk, but no matter how well you attempt to calculate it, there is always that fluke chance of things just not going your way or the opposite.

This is of course debatable and statistics change, but often those people that believe they are lucky tend to be, and vice versa. A more positive mind or at the very least learning to accept certain things do help you get further.

• Like 2

It's not luck, it's just life. I broke a toe before a dance competition a few years ago. I still competed but it wasn't luck that had me lose, it was that there were better and more accomplished dancers than me there.

I have a tooth that has been knocked out of alignment by a client I work with. She has a profound disability and can sometimes lash out really really quickly and on this occasion she did so twice. Hard. I cannot wait until I can get my dental treatment done and have it fixed with a denture because it means it will look so much better than it does now.

I'll stand beside you on the not being able to meet a suitable man, but I'm trying to work on what it is about me that attracts these kinds of men in the first place, and am accepting that some of that responsibility is mine as well as understanding that the world is a different place than it used to be. You do have to keep smiling, wonky/chipped tooth and all.

• Like 2
Take a look at the title of the thread.

Do you see the word "Always" in there?

As in "Bad things always happen to the Op".

That's not sometimes, that's putting 100% of the blame on forces outside of the Ops control. Which is of course, highly unlikely.

You both were absolute, which is incorrect.

• Like 1
Snaggletooth

It's ok. Life sucks today. Everyone can feel overwhelmed or as if it's all against them from time to time. Nothing pathetic about it.

The tooth is going to be fine. It won't hurt and they will fix it like new.

Yup, most men are dicks, but you'll know when you find the right one and it will make the wait and journey worthwhile. It's going to be ok, it's going to get better. :)

I wish I had your luck!

A chipped tooth and a broken toe sounds lovely right about now.

In the last three weeks I had a stroke caused by the birth control pill at the age of 26, had a nurse drop an 8kg monitor on my face while I was asleep, breaking my nose, had a procedure where the sedative didn't work (definitely no fun), set myself on fire standing too close to a barbecue, and got knocked out accidentally by a man who was in the middle of an intense game of ping pong...he ran, I was in the wrong place, he fell into me...my head rebounded nice and hard off the edge of a heavy wooden slab. Lol.

Feel better? ;)

Keeping positive is key. Trust me. I don't feel like a victim, and I joke and laugh about my bad luck as much as possible. I have started doing yoga and meditation classes in between my rehab. You can either choose to feel like the victim and wallow in it, or you can be strong and positive and make the most out of the hand you are dealt. Believe me, the latter is much, much better.

The fact that you are always attracted to "guys who are either downright unavailable, attracted to my friend, or rude a-holes" has nothing to do with luck. That is something you can and absolutely should work on.

You seem to feel like a victim, and type as though you are helpless and that the universe is against you. You are your own worst enemy. Perhaps some counselling can help you get yourself into a better state of mind? I think it's definitely worth considering in your case.

You can change this, or you can choose to do nothing. You get back what you put in, and the consequences of doing nothing are predictable. Luck is always a factor in life, but if you're doing the right things, the occasional curve ball is just a speed bump in your way. You get over it and continue. Stop stagnating. Do what you need to do to get your life to where you want it to be.

All the best.

• Like 2

I think what almond is trying to say is, don't sweat the small stuff. If its fixable, then its a small challenge . Where i differ though is your challenge is a BIG deal for where you are in life, and we shouldn't minimize it. You deserve positive and empathetic responses. Its unappealing when its the front tooth, and Im sure your self conscious about it. There is ceramic bonding cost range from 250 on up. They match it to your other tooth coloration. As for guys and relationships, yeah... that will be a life long task to incorporate into co existing and lovingly at that. best that can be said is learn early to listen to your intuition, its foolproof:)

Hope the tooth pain subsides and things improve, you sound like a fairly responsible person... be well.. things ebb and flow.

• Like 1
  • Author
isabellemarss
A proper dental implant can last a long time & look 100% natural. They are expensive though.

Are you a very impulsive person? I'm assuming that you chipped your tooth by falling down. Same thing with your toe, you probably smacked it into something by running around or being careless. If not, ignore the rest. You don't have to live a chaotic life with lots of stress & running around due to looming deadlines. You do have the ability to focus & pay full attention to what you're doing at the moment. What's going on in your phone or with friends can wait a few minutes. A chaotic family can cause issues, but you have the ability to learn & anticipate crap they do that causes you chaos. If they always are dropping you off late, lie about your deadline time to compensate. Causing & living in chaos is a form of drama. You can chose to live with drama or not.

Boys are easy. Figure out what you want & more importantly don't want. When you see a boy you're attracted to, stop and do a bit of digging and or objective observation, before you approach him. Past & current behavior is a very good indication of future behavior. Talk to his ex's and see how he treated them. Watch how he acts around girls & when he's only around his guy friends. How does his crew treat girls? The hardest thing will be to see everything you're watching, not just what you want to see. Don't be one of those girls who falls in love with a boy before you even talk to him. Don't be that girl who hates, with a passion, all his ex's, even the ones he had before you even met him. HS & college are highly social environments, it's easy to find ex's to talk to.

I chipped my tooth by eating chicken. :( But anyway, the dentist fixed it now, and I still have to observe it for two weeks.

Thank you for the advice. I think I need to be calmer and more at peace.

I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad streak of misfortune, our body is indispensable to our existence, so when one suffer from accidents or other implications it can affect us deeply. When on top of things it happens to people like you, who are in a competitive environment where looks and fitness play a large role, it can be even more devastating.

It is true there are people who are a lot worse off, but that's why I believe it's not a good idea to compare issues, they are all unique in the sense that they mean different things on multiple levels to each individual.

To some degree we can't control who we are attracted to, the heart and mind wants what it wants. Despite that, I do believe we are all capable of growing to appreciate new qualities in others, typically with age a shift can occur. So it is likely than things will balance out eventually, and the type you feel most drawn to will lead to better experiences.

You may feel no one is going to understand your problems and that they are pathetic, but the truth is that many actually do, even those who are more "blessed" and fortunate.

None of us can control how you wish to view yourself, but we can at least offer you an alternative perspective. Everyone have periods where their "luck" is hot and other times cold. I do however believe that through better choice in actions, we can influence it somewhat so that it eventually evens out quite well. Every single thing you do in life carries a certain risk, but no matter how well you attempt to calculate it, there is always that fluke chance of things just not going your way or the opposite.

This is of course debatable and statistics change, but often those people that believe they are lucky tend to be, and vice versa. A more positive mind or at the very least learning to accept certain things do help you get further.

I completely agree with this. Thank you so much.

Your problems have little to nothing to do with bad luck.

It's all about the choices you make and the careless actions you take.

How did you chip your tooth and how did you break your toe?

Not getting why the dentist would have to pull out the entire tooth as opposed to filing it down, having it filled with cement (aka root canal) and then placing a post and cap over it which will perfectly match the rest of your teeth.

I chipped my tooth by just eating. And I broke my toe while practicing a cartwheel.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Thank you. I really understand what you're saying. :)

It's not luck, it's just life. I broke a toe before a dance competition a few years ago. I still competed but it wasn't luck that had me lose, it was that there were better and more accomplished dancers than me there.

I have a tooth that has been knocked out of alignment by a client I work with. She has a profound disability and can sometimes lash out really really quickly and on this occasion she did so twice. Hard. I cannot wait until I can get my dental treatment done and have it fixed with a denture because it means it will look so much better than it does now.

I'll stand beside you on the not being able to meet a suitable man, but I'm trying to work on what it is about me that attracts these kinds of men in the first place, and am accepting that some of that responsibility is mine as well as understanding that the world is a different place than it used to be. You do have to keep smiling, wonky/chipped tooth and all.

Thank you for that. I wish you all the best in your treatment too :)

It's ok. Life sucks today. Everyone can feel overwhelmed or as if it's all against them from time to time. Nothing pathetic about it.

The tooth is going to be fine. It won't hurt and they will fix it like new.

Yup, most men are dicks, but you'll know when you find the right one and it will make the wait and journey worthwhile. It's going to be ok, it's going to get better. :)

That made me feel better. Thank you so much. I already got it fixed but it's still under observation.

I wish I had your luck!

A chipped tooth and a broken toe sounds lovely right about now.

In the last three weeks I had a stroke caused by the birth control pill at the age of 26, had a nurse drop an 8kg monitor on my face while I was asleep, breaking my nose, had a procedure where the sedative didn't work (definitely no fun), set myself on fire standing too close to a barbecue, and got knocked out accidentally by a man who was in the middle of an intense game of ping pong...he ran, I was in the wrong place, he fell into me...my head rebounded nice and hard off the edge of a heavy wooden slab. Lol.

Feel better? ;)

Keeping positive is key. Trust me. I don't feel like a victim, and I joke and laugh about my bad luck as much as possible. I have started doing yoga and meditation classes in between my rehab. You can either choose to feel like the victim and wallow in it, or you can be strong and positive and make the most out of the hand you are dealt. Believe me, the latter is much, much better.

The fact that you are always attracted to "guys who are either downright unavailable, attracted to my friend, or rude a-holes" has nothing to do with luck. That is something you can and absolutely should work on.

You seem to feel like a victim, and type as though you are helpless and that the universe is against you. You are your own worst enemy. Perhaps some counselling can help you get yourself into a better state of mind? I think it's definitely worth considering in your case.

You can change this, or you can choose to do nothing. You get back what you put in, and the consequences of doing nothing are predictable. Luck is always a factor in life, but if you're doing the right things, the occasional curve ball is just a speed bump in your way. You get over it and continue. Stop stagnating. Do what you need to do to get your life to where you want it to be.

All the best.

This really hit me :o I hope you're so much better now. I commend your strength and positivity!

I think what almond is trying to say is, don't sweat the small stuff. If its fixable, then its a small challenge . Where i differ though is your challenge is a BIG deal for where you are in life, and we shouldn't minimize it. You deserve positive and empathetic responses. Its unappealing when its the front tooth, and Im sure your self conscious about it. There is ceramic bonding cost range from 250 on up. They match it to your other tooth coloration. As for guys and relationships, yeah... that will be a life long task to incorporate into co existing and lovingly at that. best that can be said is learn early to listen to your intuition, its foolproof:)

Hope the tooth pain subsides and things improve, you sound like a fairly responsible person... be well.. things ebb and flow.

Thank you, you really are right.

Btw, I already got it fixed but it's still under observation. I hope it really is ok now.

• Like 1
In the last three weeks I had a stroke caused by the birth control pill at the age of 26, had a nurse drop an 8kg monitor on my face while I was asleep, breaking my nose, had a procedure where the sedative didn't work (definitely no fun), set myself on fire standing too close to a barbecue, and got knocked out accidentally by a man who was in the middle of an intense game of ping pong...he ran, I was in the wrong place, he fell into me...my head rebounded nice and hard off the edge of a heavy wooden slab.

Here's a great example of self induced repurcussions from bad decisions or poor judgement.

When you were on the birth control pill, did you smoke? If so, then you knowingly put yourself at risk for that stroke, and everything that followed is on you including of course the dropped monitor.

Standing too close to a barbeque with long hair and setting yourself on fire? We can't leave that one to bad luck either.

You were run into by a guy who was playing ping pong because you were standing in the wrong place.

Here's a great example of self induced repurcussions from bad decisions or poor judgement.

When you were on the birth control pill, did you smoke? If so, then you knowingly put yourself at risk for that stroke, and everything that followed is on you including of course the dropped monitor.

Standing too close to a barbeque with long hair and setting yourself on fire? We can't leave that one to bad luck either.

You were run into by a guy who was playing ping pong because you were standing in the wrong place.

Hahaha.

Lol. What? You're really trying to say that my stroke is a great example of "self induced repurcussions from bad decisions or poor judgement?" Even though you know no details at all? Seems pretty silly, no?

I am not a smoker, so your argument there is invalid. I was put on a birth control pill that caused a clot, that then caused two strokes...one after the other. I spent almost two weeks in hospital having test after test done...not one contributing factor was found, other than the pill. I am in perfect health (well, besides that stroke thing that happened) and only 26 years old. It was bad luck. Even if a woman of my age and in good health did smoke while on the birth control pill, to actually have a stroke is incredibly back luck...it's very rare.

Now, how is a nurse dropping an 8kg monitor on my face while I'm sleeping self-induced, or a result of my poor judgement? I guess the sedative not working before my procedure is my fault too? Strong logic is strong :laugh:

The barbecue was new, first time it was used actually, and started spitting out flames from the back. I wasn't standing particularly close, I was behind it, and if the barbecue didn't decide to do something unusual, it wouldn't have happened.

I was standing clear of the table. The man ran too hard going for a shot that was impossible to get, tripped, tried to avoid falling so fumbled for quite a while...eventually collecting me...my head eventually collecting the edge of the wooden slab. But yeah, I was standing in the wrong place, at the wrong time. I guess I should have reacted quicker, but my brain was still swelling from the stroke so perhaps I was a little slower than usual. Silly me.

In summary: your post is ridiculous, and you sir, are ridiculous.

Have a nice day :)

Edited by almond
  • Like 3
dragonfire13

Not sure why the responses are so harsh on here, I know how it feels when one thing after the next seems to go wrong; the saying "when it rains, it pours" springs to mind.

It's just one of those sod's law things.

Try not to let these things bug you as the more irritated you are by them, the worse things seem to get. As soon as you let the irritation pass, you'd be surprised how much things improve :)

The barbecue was new, first time it was used actually, and started spitting out flames from the back. I wasn't standing particularly close, I was behind it, and if the barbecue didn't decide to do something unusual, it wouldn't have happened.

The barbeque didn't "decide to do something wrong" it wasn't assembled properly.

The barbeque didn't "decide to do something wrong" it wasn't assembled properly.

And I didn't assemble it, so your little theory is still as inaccurate as ever.

Apology accepted.

my friend used to tell me because I used whine about my bad luck

is that we invite bad luck by calling its name.. As long as I say I have bad luck, I will conjure it to my life..

I am sorry for what happened to you.

I am sure there is many ways to fix it

that's why they have something called

cosmetic dentistry

Don't worry, if she messed up your look, you can always fix it :)

• Like 1
Justanaverageguy
my friend used to tell me because I used whine about my bad luck

is that we invite bad luck by calling its name.. As long as I say I have bad luck, I will conjure it to my life.

Smart friend - I could not agree more

• Like 1
And I didn't assemble it, so your little theory is still as inaccurate as ever.

Apology accepted.

I'm sorry. It does seem that you have a bulls eye painted on your back.