Starting a cooking class tomorrow!

It was expensive, and I was THIS tempted to just "Youtube video" it i.e. learn to cook better by watching free YT videos, but I figure this 5-star beginning basics cooking class can speed up my overall kitchen game, plus I can still do the YT videos on the side. But this class is only here this summer for this block, and I needed to take advantage of it.

Like I said, it was a lot of money but I guess there should be no price on self improvement right?

Thing I'm proud of right now is usually, I find a way to say no or weasel out of it. Instead, I forced myself to paypal the money over and now I embark on a brand new adventure... taking a cooking class! Hoping to learn how to cook better, grow more confident and maybe even make a connection or two in the class.

• Like 6
Lokin4AReason

I hope that endeavor works out to your pleasing ...

I too have been thinking about this lately to get my mind off of thing(s) at the moment ... something like creative time well spent =0)

let US know at how it goes =0)

Well, honestly... if you're a complete beginner, chances are you can learn a lot by just helping a seasoned (pun not intended, heh) cook in the kitchen. Family or friends etc. I don't actually know anyone who took an expensive cooking class unless they were really seeking perfection and already knew the basics.

But since you've already paid for it, go for it and enjoy! The social aspect of going to class can definitely be a big bonus, too. :)

I think that's a great idea! :)

I can cook but being on my own I tend to stick with a few standard things and pretty simple things and I can get into a rut sometimes.

Something which I have found to be a great addition for a busy life, being single and also for when you have a day out and get home with your date !! :)) is a slow cooker with a timer delay.

You can prep everything in the morning, throw it all into the pot and set the timer so the food is cooked perfectly when you get home.

It's fantastic for cooking meat as it makes it so tender and moist and you can throw just about anything in there.

It's low on energy usage, safe to leave cooking while you are out (and is best left to just do it's own thing without stirring or anything). Plus you can use cheaper cuts of meat as they come out much more tender than cooking in an oven.

One of my latest try outs (which is delicious) is throwing in onions (I don't fry them before putting them in) then raw chicken, raw potatoes and a can of condensed lentil or leek and potato soup (condensed soups are better to use as sauces).

Switch it on, set the timer and go out for the day. Then all I need to do when I get home is prepare some veggies to go with it and it's ready.

I have also heard great things about halogen ovens too and there's a fair few people I know who have pretty much abandoned cooking in their normal oven and opt for using the halogen oven instead.

Once you get a grasp of basics all it takes is some imagination.

A mini blender and a spice rack are also a both very worthy investments.

A spice rack is also cheaper to buy with a range of spices than buying them separately - then when you run out use just buy the spice refill boxes and decant them into the jars you already have in the rack.

Lostinlife4now
It was expensive, and I was THIS tempted to just "Youtube video" it i.e. learn to cook better by watching free YT videos, but I figure this 5-star beginning basics cooking class can speed up my overall kitchen game, plus I can still do the YT videos on the side. But this class is only here this summer for this block, and I needed to take advantage of it.

Like I said, it was a lot of money but I guess there should be no price on self improvement right?

Thing I'm proud of right now is usually, I find a way to say no or weasel out of it. Instead, I forced myself to paypal the money over and now I embark on a brand new adventure... taking a cooking class! Hoping to learn how to cook better, grow more confident and maybe even make a connection or two in the class.

N I C E!!!!!!! Enjoy!!!!!

• Author

One week down, one more to go. So far it's been really great for me. Just learning recipes, what goes well together, cooking terminology and logic, little stuff like that.

Also, have made some decent connections in the class, including meeting someone in the same field as I am in. So that's been really cool.

The other thing is, I can easily go into "super veg out" mode when I won't leave the house at all (since I am on summer break). This forces me to get up relatively early, drive 40 miles out and get me out there.

Then when class ends, I'm more likely to drive to the mall, or wherever else and continue on with my day.

Otherwise I might just wake up in PJs, stay in PJs and just stay inside all day.

So the cooking class has really been great for all those reasons and more. Plus, now that I'm eating healthy (I haven't had a burger or pizza in a month now!) I am seeing this new lifestyle change and a shift in my mentality. Overall, I'm just really pleased with myself.

Also I signed up tonight for a 6 week bootcamp fitness class that starts right after my cooking class ends! Setting more goals and disciplining myself to see them through!

• Like 3
  • Author

Finished cooking class yesterday and have already bridged the transition by starting my circuit training fitness bootcamp class.

Now for the next 5 weeks I can wake up whenever I want, practice my cooking skills, continue to eat healthy and then go to bootcamp anywhere from 5-8 PM.

Life is good.

I actually appreciate being single right now... because I'm able to focus on myself and self improvement. Finding new ways to love me for me this summer.... and just growing internally. I feel like I have turned a bit of a corner here.

Can still work on being more social, but one step at a time and I would argue that first critical step has to be feeling comfortable in your own skin, which is what I'm now doing.

Going to different classes all alone is def. out of my comfort zone. I've been able to make some connections but more importantly it's the process of confidently getting out there and just being yourself. Take it or leave it, world. I don't need everyone to like me for who I am. You're not going to get along with everyone. But it's putting yourself out there and growing. I feel like I have definitely done that with this cooking class and now carrying it over to this 6 week fitness class.

Life is good right now.

• Like 1

Being more social takes practice and you can have set backs - a bad mood, bad hair day can set you back.

You have a couple of real interests going on just now.

They are conversational openers as well as things you are now interested in.

You are not focusing on dating - which is actually a good thing. The minute I focus on it I get nowhere!

You can now happily sit in a coffee shop reading a cooking or a fitness magazine though.

Plus libraries have sections on both.

Home shops have departments for cooking utensils.

See what I am getting at?

Women go to these places...

You are building more than you realise right now I think.

A man who can cook though....hands down favourite! :D:

I'm proud of you Tek!

Many men do not do anything new or different, see no reason to improve themselves and you really are going for it!

I often go do things on my own. No one has a clue that internally whilst waiting for the band to come on and play I am freezing inside because everyone else there has someone else to be with.

When the band starts playing though...that is my focus.

However...I always make friends at these events because I relax when my interest is engaged (the band starts playing) and my focus is taken off me being there on my own. :)

Tell the truth. You did this in hopes to meet girls? Lol

If he did then fair play I reckon!

He has and can gain new skills that all help towards that. :)

Cooking together is one of the sexiest things to do in a relationship...... :love:

• Like 4
Men who can cook are damn sexy ;)

Especially when they're better at it than the women they're seeing. :p

Especially when they're better at it than the women they're seeing. :p

I'm not gonna lie..

How great will he feel if he is teaching me? He loved it!

I remember how great he felt...

Disclaimer: the last line is very much a double entendre.. :D: *cough*

• Like 1
  • Author
Tell the truth. You did this in hopes to meet girls? Lol

Honestly, not in hopes to meet girls at these events (cooking/bootcamp). However, it is in the hopes of meeting the right girl DOWN THE ROAD. But the more I got into it, the more it shifted from "preparing myself for the right girl one day" to "Hey, it's kinda fun learning this just for my own sake!"

Everything else would be perks/gravy. I think that's the best most honest way to describe it. And I think it's that mentality that has helped carry me through it all. Letting go of expectations of the opposite sex, and just improving for my own benefit. If a girl comes along who sees me and appreciates what I can bring to the table (pardon the pun), then great. And if not, oh well, I know what I'm worth and no one else can put a stamp on my self-worth.

Cooking/bootcamp has overall boosted my confidence and general outlook on life.

It's funny coz I went 2 weeks without texting my former crush. Guess what, she initiated contact today and was like all "Where u at bro? How did the cooking classes turn out?"

She came to me. But through it all I played it cool and I know it's bigger than her/the girl right now. This time is about self improvement. And if I keep my focus there, the rest falls into place.

Edited by Teknoe
  • Like 2