Competition and Creativity

Miss Sisyphus

How do you keep creating--art, stories, quilts, whatever, if you compare your work to others and always feel inferior? if you aren't admired, awarded or paid for your creation should you just accept that you aren't talented enough and give up? Or should you focus on the process instead of the outcome? Any thoughts?

Mr Scorpio

Focus on the fact that art cannot be judged by objective criteria. It isn't like sport where you pursue the fastest time or the heaviest weight. Setting out to create the "best" art/stories/quilt/etc is fool's gold. I view the process itself as a reward.

• Like 1

Focus on getting better, and get used to that struggle bc it's pretty much a permanent thing that genuine artists think or fear their work sucks. I know of a lot of artists who take satisfaction from their work, but none who think they've actually reached the top of the mountain. :)

• Like 1
DJOkawari

I had trouble with a similar question until I ended up doing a lot of soul searching. I'm not done yet, so this is a bit of a premature response. Do you think your art is great? Do you know of art that you think is great? I spent some time in solitude, away from the ideas/impressions of others and I ended up seeing what I loved and what I didn't love. Then I tried to create in the spirit of my new-found opinions. I knew what I thought was great and I wanted to create it. Obviously, these beliefs are fluid and will change as I change.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the technical skill. So I'm working on it. When I'm able to create something I truly appreciate, if someone says it's **** and offers nothing constructive, I'll feel deep down that they simply don't understand.

You may have already been through this and you could be asking a different iteration of this question but I thought I'd share.

I don't know if talent is real or not but I certainly don't think you need it to make enjoyable art.

Ninjainpajamas

Well personally...I would look at myself objectively and make a determination of whether I was "good enough" after a point of investing so much into it...I'd ask myself if it was something I'd really want to do and where my heart is, and is it really "good", is there someone out there who likes what I do.

That's more in the case of a career choice, but for a hobby of course that's something you could always do just because it inspires you.

I could probably do a number of things in my life that are creative, but I don't know If I'd have the passion and..."commitment" to it. Once it gets to the point where I'm obligated to do something, the motivation can die down really quick...unless the motivation is getting a nice paycheck, which at least then it's tolerable and practical.

I think the question is, how much time do you want to invest into a certain creative idea, and how much motivation do you have for it, and are you objectively good enough at it for it to be marketable.

But you also never know...hell, look at Crocs (shoes), those ugly toe sandals, and that stupid selfie stick...those all seemed like horrible taste and ideas to me! but I would've been wrong.

Sunlight72
How do you keep creating--art, stories, quilts, whatever, if you compare your work to others and always feel inferior? if you aren't admired, awarded or paid for your creation should you just accept that you aren't talented enough and give up? Or should you focus on the process instead of the outcome? Any thoughts?

As an artist myself, yes, I would suggest focussing on the process. Keep exploring - but I personally don't see much benefit to examining other artists' work of the material you're working in when you seek inspiration.

Pursue what intrigues you either in life generally, or techniques or specific effects with your chosen medium.

It is hard emotionally, but also rewarding when you feel the Muse working through you.

Best Wishes,

Sunlight

• Like 1
Michelle ma Belle

Art is all about self expression. The moment you start creating based on what others think or want or do is the moment you loose the very essence of what it meant to create in the first place.

Art is supposed to be YOUR journey. Enjoy the process for YOU. Learn and grow and explore for YOU. To hell with everyone else.