It's not the caffeine in coffee that causes the anxiety

After trying for long, I finally managed to stop drinking coffee.

I am now in transition from 4-5 coffees a day, to 2 light energy drinks. Eventually I will stop altogether and only have a frozen cappucino now and then (because I loves the taste not because I need it to wake up).

Here's the thing: All over the internet, it's generally claimed that the caffeine in coffee causes the anxiety. Then how is it that my anxiety has totally disappeared after I stopped drinking coffee? There's almost as much caffeine in the energy drinks that I take twice a day. So I don't believe it's the caffeine that was causing the anxiety for me.

Does anybody know what it might be? Which component of coffee?

• Like 1

I've heard there is another type of caffeine that is more mellow and does not cause as much anxiety as the caffeine from coffee, but I don't really know much about it, but perhaps there is something also in the energy drinks that has a calming effect and balances out the caffeine. I, myself, have tried many times unsuccessfully to give up coffee because of the anxiety it causes me at times during stressful situations. The main reason I wanted to give it up, is because sometimes during business calls after a lot of coffee, I believe the people on the other end of the phone can tell by the sound of my voice that I am nervous, and it bothers me that the folks on the other end of the phone know that I am nervous. I don't sound nervous and am not nervous if I have not had any coffee. I now limit my caffeine (coffee) to Mon.- Sat. and then on Sunday (a non-work) day, I'll have as much coffee or tea as I want, but I stop by 2:00 PM, so it doesn't affect my sleep. This gives me something to look forward to all week, knowing I can indulge on Sunday.

amaysngrace

It's probably in the way it's processed that makes it so irritating.

That's usually how it goes.

TheFinalWord

Caffeine binds to adenosine receptors in the brain.

It basically serves two functions:

--Reduces homeostatic drive for sleep. Two factors contribute to sleep-wake cycle. Circadian rhythm is basically an internal clock that regulates our body cycles. The homeostatic drive is a need for sleep that increases as we perpetuate a state of wakefulness. Caffeine blunts this drive for sleep.

--Increases stress. Caffeine is a exogenous stressor. In other words, it signals the bodies stress response (fight or flight) and releases adrenaline.

It may be the dosage. You consumed caffeine 5x day, now you are drinking only 2x a day. So your duration of exposure seem smaller. Which energy drinks are you consuming? I have never heard of a lite energy drink. They are all pretty much packed with caffeine :)

• Like 1
whichwayisup

If I am not feeling well, or have a headache and have coffee it sets me into caffeine induced anxiety. Or if I have too much coffee, same thing.

Caffeine gets the adrenaline going and that's what anxiety is, too much adrenaline pumping, except that those who suffer from anxiety anyway, it makes it worse and you (general you) react to it.

pureinheart

This makes sense. Also I've noticed the affect is different depending on where the caffeine is coming from. Cola products give a completely different high than coffee and tea seems to be different than coffee.

pureinheart
If I am not feeling well, or have a headache and have coffee it sets me into caffeine induced anxiety. Or if I have too much coffee, same thing.

If I have this type of reaction to coffee, then I know I will be sick soon... I've never heard anyone say this before.

• Author
I've heard there is another type of caffeine that is more mellow and does not cause as much anxiety as the caffeine from coffee.
This is true, I've experienced it myself, I don't care how it is said that all cafeine boils down to the same chemical. It does have different effects..

Probably yes, as another poster already said, Red Bull for example, gives me a totally different high than coffee does.

^

This is the reason I quit coffee....I already have anxiety symptoms (genetic, my dad has them very bad) and I take a supplement for it (l-theanine).

The supplement helps really good, I don't want to say it but it's like a miracle. So why should I go against it and keep drinking coffee I think.. right? Seriously anxiety is the baddest feeling in the world, it's so meaningless, so restless, I never want to feel it in my life, ever again.

I think I'm going to start a new topic on anxiety..

So How old where you guys when you started drinking coffee? I was 20!! That's why I think it'll be easy to give up, as I was relatively old when I started..