Single With Daughters--Where Should We Move?

Miss Sisyphus

I hope this is the best forum for my question.

I'll be putting my house up for sale in May. I have two daughters--one grown and one in high school. We're tired of the crime, poverty, and lack of culture in our Southwestern state. My oldest daughter is interested in costume design (she has a degree in fiber arts); my youngest plays viola and likes to write. We need a city/state that cares about art and artists. But we can't afford New York or California.

We're seriously thinking about New Orleans. We've been there four times and my daughter has already been accepted into one of their charter schools. The school has an orchestra and she's looking forward to going. But I'm worried about the crime--especially since I'm thinking about leaving my (male) partner. It'll just be three women alone. Plus, we don't know anybody there. That's scary.

So I thought it might be better to move to a place that's safer but also has some sort of culture--like Austin, TX. My brother and his wife live in San Antonio so it would be a short drive to visit them. (I should add that none of us wants to live in San Antonio--we tried it and didn't like it.) But I worry that Austin might be too expensive too.

Any suggestions for how to find a relatively safe, affordable, art-loving city/town would be appreciated. : )

Maybe look at New England. I loved Providence way back when, in college, but don’t know if the cost of living is too high these days. There is a strong arts community given the size of the city and RISD is there. Also, the trips to Boston and even NYC were easy.

GorillaTheater

If you want to balance cost of living and cultural opportunities, look for a mid-size city with a first-rate university.

loveweary11

I second Austin or Miami or other up and coming cultural centers.

NY, as much as i love it, has lost the creativity that once made it special.

The south is where it's at.

What's more important to you? I wish I could be closer to my family but I live where I do because my two children are here. Being close to them overrides all other concerns as far as my life goes. I wish you well as you search. Blessings!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
Miss Sisyphus

Thanks everyone. I like hearing that the south is where it's at. I love the historical buildings and the people. I'll probably go to New Orleans like I planned.

If you have to go to new Orleans would you consider the suburbs? I lived in New Orleans for a few months and it was awful. Crime ridden, dirty and disgusting. The suburbs such as Slidell are much nicer..

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author
Miss Sisyphus

Thank you for the advice. I haven't heard very many endorsements for living in New Orleans proper.

I admit, I was worried that living there wouldn't be as exciting as I imagined it would be. Like you said, the crime there is awful. I'm also squeamish about big flying roaches and humidity. We would have had to live in Orleans parish for my daughter to attend Lusher charter school. So anything outside of the parish--like Slidell wouldn't have worked.

Anyway, the plan has changed. My partner of 15 years and my eldest daughter don't want to move with us. And I don't want to live so far away from my daughter. So I guess my youngest daughter and I won't be going to New Orleans after all. :(