Has anyone here undergone therapy for anxiety, and has it been effective ?

lordbaelish

I am a long sufferer of Social Anxiety, it's been a difficult and demoralising condition to live with. I am planning on undertaking psychological intervention, in order to treat my symptoms. So if you've underwent therapy, please do give me a brief account on its effectiveness.

• Like 1

I have been seeing a therapist for quite a few months now, and it has been a huge change for the better. Much of the reason I go is to deal with deep seated anxieties and depression, or at least that is what I have been able to define with my therapist's help, as well as anti-anxiety medication, joining Jiu Jitsu and increased exercise.

It has helped me not only be a much better husband and father, it has helped me socially. I am more confident and outgoing at work, with friends and strangers! I used feel extremely awkward around people, walking down the street it felt as if everyone was judging me and I would try to make myself less noticeable. Now I when I walk I feel much lighter, I feel good and free of the oppression I was putting myself through.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend getting a therapist is right for you, this isn't my first therapist, she's one whose both warm, empathetic but straight forward with telling me about the hard work needed to improve. Some therapists made me feel a bit coddled and didn't get very far with them. But like I said, I also now take medication and martial arts, and am looking at other things to help, so while therapy can be the gateway, it certainly isn't the solitary solution. Read books, do research, improve your lifestyle, etc.

• Like 1
  • Author
lordbaelish
I have been seeing a therapist for quite a few months now, and it has been a huge change for the better. Much of the reason I go is to deal with deep seated anxieties and depression, or at least that is what I have been able to define with my therapist's help, as well as anti-anxiety medication, joining Jiu Jitsu and increased exercise.

It has helped me not only be a much better husband and father, it has helped me socially. I am more confident and outgoing at work, with friends and strangers! I used feel extremely awkward around people, walking down the street it felt as if everyone was judging me and I would try to make myself less noticeable. Now I when I walk I feel much lighter, I feel good and free of the oppression I was putting myself through.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend getting a therapist is right for you, this isn't my first therapist, she's one whose both warm, empathetic but straight forward with telling me about the hard work needed to improve. Some therapists made me feel a bit coddled and didn't get very far with them. But like I said, I also now take medication and martial arts, and am looking at other things to help, so while therapy can be the gateway, it certainly isn't the solitary solution. Read books, do research, improve your lifestyle, etc.

thank you very much for your input

Michelle ma Belle

Although I've been going to a therapist for years it hasn't been for any kind of anxiety that was out of control. However, one of my best friends suffered from severe panic attacks and stressed out about every little detail to the point where she'd hyperventilate and sometimes even pass out. It was crazy. When she became a mother for the first time, her anxieties went through the roof!

I advised her to see my psycho-therapist and it has helped her tremendously! She isn't "cured" but having an impartial and professional person to talk things out with plus the techniques she learned on HOW to deal with her anxieties were invaluable.

She still has her moments when she feels overwhelmed but she says she finally feels like she has it under control for the first time in decades :)

As with most things, it won't work unless YOU work it. It's hard work and requires constant effort and practice. There is no magic pill unfortunately but there is hope at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck!!

• Like 3

I have been seeing a psychotherapist for the past two years on and off. I was just talking to my partner about how much it has helped with allowing me to understand where certain thoughts/feelings come from when I get anxious or upset. This insight prevents me from losing my sh*t every time something doesn't go my way.

Anxiety runs in my family. I grew up in home where yelling and fighting was the norm and I have developed an inability to cope with situations without either losing my temper or fearing a loss of control.

I wouldn't say I am completely healthy at this point- I'm still suffering from anxiety, but my doctor has been really helpful and I have definitely noticed small differences in my behavior here and there. I am also more open to understanding other people's needs. And I have less negative thoughts.

Either way, I think it's definitely worth a shot. You will feel better just knowing that you are taking positive steps towards taking care of your health.

• Like 1

Hi B,

Feelings of anxiety can be lifelong work to become well BUT it needn't be. If your therapist is very experienced in this field then you stand in better stead. In saying this, like therapy for ANY other reasons, it requires 99% of the work to be done by you off the therapists couch - so to speak.

Finding the root causes of WHEN these behaviours began can actually heal them in 1 session! Similar to "event trauma" ie if you're suffering anxiety ONLY after a traumatic event (as opposed to lifelong issues) then this is easier to conquer with the right tools / therapists advice.

Harder work but no way impossible, with high motivation, is the lifelong sufferer. I've watched this healing happen. It's absolutely possible! An incredible tool for healing is "visualisation". AFFIRM & IMAGINE YOURSELF IN SPECIFIC situations, how you'd act, how you'd dress, how you'd respond, right down to every detail YOU can control.

A strategy my friend used starting at 40yo, who was VERY socially awkward, was simply this. Find a person and ask them questions about THEMSELVES. Let them talk. Don't chip in. Nod enthusiastically, listen intently and ask the next question.

As he said "EVERYONE likes talking about themselves, you'd be amazed at how many people think I'm such a great guy, yet they know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about me! They probably have to ask the host what my name is! Ha ha ha". When I met him he was a sole trader of his business, now he has 100s of people working in his company. No partners. He's the head.

And b4 anyone thinks this is a lesson in manipulation. It's not.

These are tools I've seen WORK and I hesitate to guess that there are 100s of them. Employ them in a comfortable situation with family. Practice them and try them out.

Good luck. Stay positive! You're gonna get there.

Lion Heart.

Edited by Lion Heart
  • Like 2

four areas of modified therapy

1: behavior modification

2: diet changes and nutrition ( niacin works )

3: group therapy

4: meditation/breathing- sight/sound

i refuse to be pharmaceutically controlled, so diet and certain minerals\vitamins have aided to help the biological side.

Op,? which ones have worked for you? maybe you can share...as i'd be open to new methods with good results.

whichwayisup
I am a long sufferer of Social Anxiety, it's been a difficult and demoralising condition to live with. I am planning on undertaking psychological intervention, in order to treat my symptoms. So if you've underwent therapy, please do give me a brief account on its effectiveness.

I did CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) and it really helped me gain control back. I learned how to fight anxiety, not be afraid of it. CBT is talk therapy, understanding your issues and solving them that gave you the anxiety to begin with. Exposure therapy (slowly facing your fears by exposing yourself to them with the help of the T), relaxing tips (yoga and meditation, deep breathing, visualization etc) to help you cope better when you feel an attack coming on.

Keeping a daily journal, being aware of what you eat, drink and how much or little sleep you get as well as writing down why you may feel anxious, things or people setting you off.

I highly recommend CBT to anybody! What you put into therapy is what you get out of it. When you find the right therapist, and have a connection and trust, you'll know it right away.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2