Making up for lost youth?

Has anyone ever tried to make up for what they couldn't do when they were younger? For ex if you couldn't play a sport when you were younger did you try as you grow older? Maybe you weren't popular with women and didn't go to enough parties. Did you make up for that as well?

Was it worth it or did the passage of time make you not care anymore?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Like 2

I have tried to make up for it by drinking more. I didn't start drinking until I was in my mid 20's and even then, not much. Wasn't until my late 30's that I really took it up.

• Like 2
  • Author
I have tried to make up for it by drinking more. I didn't start drinking until I was in my mid 20's and even then, not much. Wasn't until my late 30's that I really took it up.

Well this thread got depressing really quickly.

• Like 3

Stop thinking about it as making up for lost youth. Think about it as living your life now & making yourself happy. Having a life long pity party for whatever you didn't get to do in your youth will only keep you in a state of misery.

A former friend I met in grad school constantly wallows about what didn't happen to her in college. Ironically we went to the same undergrad but never met. As she approaches 50 she still laments that she wasn't in a sorority in college & that she didn't go to medical school.

I offered to sponsor her as an alumnae initiate She turned it down.

An EX-BF of hers - who is now my friend -- paid for her to take an MCAT review class & sit for the exam about 10 years ago. She went to one class & never took test but continued to complain that her life would be better if she was a doctor.

It's like she won't even try. All she wants to do is complain about what she doesn't have instead of making an effort to get what she wants now.

Yes, she is still single never married. No man is good enough in her eyes. Problem is she drives them all away with her ridiculous, outrageous demands. Whatever they give her, it's not enough.

Hence, I didn't fight that hard to keep her in my life when she started to drift out.

• Like 3
  • Author
Stop thinking about it as making up for lost youth. Think about it as living your life now & making yourself happy. Having a life long pity party for whatever you didn't get to do in your youth will only keep you in a state of misery.

A former friend I met in grad school constantly wallows about what didn't happen to her in college. Ironically we went to the same undergrad but never met. As she approaches 50 she still laments that she wasn't in a sorority in college & that she didn't go to medical school.

I offered to sponsor her as an alumnae initiate She turned it down.

An EX-BF of hers - who is now my friend -- paid for her to take an MCAT review class & sit for the exam about 10 years ago. She went to one class & never took test but continued to complain that her life would be better if she was a doctor.

It's like she won't even try. All she wants to do is complain about what she doesn't have instead of making an effort to get what she wants now.

Yes, she is still single never married. No man is good enough in her eyes. Problem is she drives them all away with her ridiculous, outrageous demands. Whatever they give her, it's not enough.

Hence, I didn't fight that hard to keep her in my life when she started to drift out.

Well I have been trying to make my life better. I've been working out and losing weight. I'm actually making quite a bit of progress. I'm going to try to join a sports club this summer and hopefully meet some guys and girls.

For some reason though I can't help but feel it won't be the same or that it won't be as much fun as when I was younger. For some reason I can't let go of the regret.

• Like 2
For some reason though I can't help but feel it won't be the same or that it won't be as much fun as when I was younger. For some reason I can't let go of the regret.

You have to find a way to try. Letting go will free you to have more fun now.

Good luck with the weight loss.

• Like 1

I've been doing this a bit, although in many respects I did too much partying when younger and now kinda wish Id saved a bit more, and am saving desperately in my mid thirties - no point complaining though sobriety has made me try things I never had the confidence to do in my youth - boxing, studying more qualifications, trying new hobbies.....but like other poster said, i was one of those people who sat at home saying id always wanted to try new sports or to learn a new language....but never did....I realised it was eating away at me, the more i thought about it the worse i felt, so just did it and its been great!!!! scary i know but you gotta bite the bullet...ps im not great at any of the things i listed but i enjoy them and am glad i gave them a try

The great thing that has come with age has been the idea in the back of my mind that the clock is ticking and the time to act is now not later, its got rid of the indecisiveness of youth!

• Like 1
Has anyone ever tried to make up for what they couldn't do when they were younger?

Generally, having had a quite personally satisfying youth, I found the only taste I was remotely interested in was experiencing women in a way I had voluntarily eschewed as a young man, in a purely carnal way not related to relationships. That experiment ended with confirmation that such pursuits go against my natural style so left it behind and now retain uniformly content and happy memories of youth. Of course, nothing is perfect and violence was the less than perfect part of my youth but I reconciled it and moved on. In all, I was pretty lucky.

• Like 1

My parents never let me take any martial arts classes when I was growing up, even though it may sound weird, as my mother comes from a japanese family.

I was 23 when I started with Judo and I conquered my black belt last year, I'm now working on advancing to 1º dan. :D

Also, my mother was against me having piercings and earings. I got both when I was 25 and she made my life miserable, now that I'm totally independent, I got them again and I don't regret it :laugh:

Altough I'm letting them go in the next year or two.

(the only thing that was too late for me to mess with was my hair, because I started balding when I was 21, yep...)

• Like 1

I went out and bought a full lego set once for my kids since I never got one as a kid. Always too expensive.

• Like 4

Why not?

Start making up for your lost youth

I totally understand what you are saying

and really life is too short for age restriction

Do whatever you please as long as you don't hurt other people in the process!

• Like 1
Ruby Slippers

From age 6 when my dad lost a good job, I had a deprived childhood. Throughout adulthood, I've invested in developing myself in all kinds of ways I didn't get the opportunity for then - piano and guitar lessons, dance lessons, ongoing education, tennis lessons and a league, and so on. It's been hard to let go of my sadness about undeveloped potential. But the bright side is that my talents and potential haven't gone anywhere. They just need to be cultivated. We can't change the past. But we can make the present divine :cool:

• Like 3

I am finding that I am lamenting a lot of opportunities I lost in youth. For example, I never experienced love or sex as a high school or college student, and other than one relationship (which has now degenerated into a horrible marriage), I have had no experience with women. I am ambivalent about divorce because while I may look forward to dating, I also fear it because I am really not equipped for the chase. I missed all of the things young people do to the point where I am way behind where I should be in terms of basic social, romantic and sexual practices. I am afraid that women will not want me because I don't really know what I'm doing (and I'm not attractive at all. :().

As time has passed I've become fully aware that it is really important to do the things in life that you want to do, now.

Forget later. Later is a phantom that is always out of reach.

• Like 5
I am finding that I am lamenting a lot of opportunities I lost in youth. For example, I never experienced love or sex as a high school or college student, and other than one relationship (which has now degenerated into a horrible marriage), I have had no experience with women. I am ambivalent about divorce because while I may look forward to dating, I also fear it because I am really not equipped for the chase. I missed all of the things young people do to the point where I am way behind where I should be in terms of basic social, romantic and sexual practices. I am afraid that women will not want me because I don't really know what I'm doing (and I'm not attractive at all. :().

As long as you don't show this fear when you talk to other women and remain postive, many will like you and they might find you attractive too!

Just don't lose hope and reclaim your life!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
BronzeAgeJaeger217

this is something I want to do as well, I feel I wasted my teens and most of my 20's

I didn't find my passion in life until a few years ago. I am currently working on that passion right now.

By the way, I don't regret not having drunk Friday nights and waking up with a hangover. I remember an older coworker gave me some crap about that, saying that I might regret not living the footloose lifestyle while I'm "young and full of energy." As if partying every weekend is some kind of requirement while you're young.

BronzeAgeJaeger217

In some ways I feel its easier for women to enjoy their youth than it is for men

empresario

I will drop this piece of advice here: It's never too late to start doing the right thing.

Whatever that right thing is for you, just do it.

I felt like I got a late start to the career I really wanted...but looking back 4 years later I don't focus on my late start...I focus on how happy I've been for the last 4 years. I could say the same thing about being in shape, changing my mentality, etc.

Truth is, you never REALLY feel any older. You may physically, you definitely do emotionally. Spiritually, you never age. Making yourself happy may change over the years but it never loses its significance. You will want to be happy 20 years from now. Whether you take the steps to get there...that's your choice. Start looking back at good decisions by taking action now. You won't even remember the wasted youth.

BronzeAgeJaeger217

Ya I'm in my late 20's and still single unfortunately, I feel very late to the party and it sucks, well the party hasn't even started yet for me and its all my fault since I'm a guy

Ninjainpajamas

I would just immediately start trying to do the things that I wanted to do.

I guess for me it's not necessarily about youth, just things that I've wanted to do. And I don't want to wait till I'm too old to have done them because I let the time go by.

What I realized getting older, is that I wasn't as old as I thought I was at the time. I thought my late 20's was really old, and that my early 30's would just be too late. But once I got there I realized I still could do a lot, if not just being more prepared and wiser to accomplish a lot of things.

I think youth is great, but it also comes with a great lack of wisdom, life experience and just awareness...of yourself and others.

So it's kind of a draw back because you're not really thinking like an adult yet, you're just kind of naturally immature with a lot of things...in one sense that can lead to more "fun" and there's a lot of people around your age to do it with for sure...but especially as a guy, age is not as limiting as you think, and you're in a much better place mentally.

BronzeAgeJaeger217

I feel that's what I'm gonna try to do for the remainder of my 20's and most of my early 30's

BronzeAgeJaeger217

Like when I get older, I hope I am able to attract and date young women in their early 20's, because I want to experience dating the type of women I missed out on for the majority of my 20's