40 Year Old Identity Issues

Hello Loveshack, I'm a responsible caring Father of two small boys and a loving caring Husband. My main reason for posting is that I seem to suffer (and have always suffered) from an Identity issue with a little bit of good ol' OCD thrown in for good measure. Definitely not a Father or Husband identity issue at all, but i'll explain:

I don't dress outrageous, nothing shocking but I'm tired of being so impressionable if that makes any sense - I have the tendency to get really excited by a particular band I start listening to again or something new I've discovered - so then I want to buy a T Shirt of theirs and listen to them all the time. Then I get bored of it from listening so much or even a little embarrassed of it and start listening to something else say that's "New Wave" like The Cure or Depeche Mode and I'll get so into it that I want to buy a Cure shirt and start listening to only those kinds of bands and dump the jeans, and go more for nice dark pants and a darker look and it's this never ending circle of identity changes. I don't know why I have that desire to change so much at my age.

Anyway, it's like this weird Teenager thing inside me that I can't quite understand. If anyone has any insight, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks.

Edited by kylepetey

It sounds harmless enough. If it's just clothes and music, maybe just accept this youthful aspect of your personality.

Hello Loveshack, I'm a responsible caring Father of two small boys and a loving caring Husband. My main reason for posting is that I seem to suffer (and have always suffered) from an Identity issue with a little bit of good ol' OCD thrown in for good measure. Definitely not a Father or Husband identity issue at all, but i'll explain:

I don't dress outrageous, nothing shocking but I'm tired of being so impressionable if that makes any sense - I have the tendency to get really excited by a particular band I start listening to again or something new I've discovered - so then I want to buy a T Shirt of theirs and listen to them all the time. Then I get bored of it from listening so much or even a little embarrassed of it and start listening to something else say that's "New Wave" like The Cure or Depeche Mode and I'll get so into it that I want to buy a Cure shirt and start listening to only those kinds of bands and dump the jeans, and go more for nice dark pants and a darker look and it's this never ending circle of identity changes. I don't know why I have that desire to change so much at my age.

Anyway, it's like this weird Teenager thing inside me that I can't quite understand. If anyone has any insight, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks.

I agree with the previous reply by 'xxoo,' I think you should accept this aspect of your personality.

Why? Because I do the same thing, I'm in my 40's and listen to 'Style' by Taylor Swift! And for many times over! Now, I'm bored of it. However, it would be awkward to wear her T-shirt...however tempting that may be. :D Now I'm on Ellie Goulding's current song. :lmao:

I do however dress contemporary, by that I mean I read GQ magazine and try to keep up-to-date with everything.

So, I think you're good.

• Like 1
DatingDirection

What month were you born in? Your zodiac sign and sun sign could play a part in this. I personally think change is always good. Just like your home may need an update, so does a person's personal style and tastes. 40 is a new era, at each stage, there are always new discoveries about ourselves. Put it this way, you're not a boring, mundane person.

• Like 1