Hey everyone,

I am debating doing some traveling and looking for some ideas on where to start.

I am 27 and have 2 more semesters before I graduate with a bachelors degree, so I am going to finish that up first. After that, I want to travel, I know its in my blood and something I need to do. I am tired of living in New York and feel as though I just don't belong here. I have become more spiritual and aware of my interactions with people and my surroundings and I am looking for something new and different. I would love to live somewhere overseas, I think that would be amazing. I am looking for someplace humble, nice weather, good people, with the ocean nearby.

From this site, I am looking for insight on how to start this journey, I've looked online and joined a couch surfing site, thinking that might be a decent place to start and see where I end up. Although I have a decent bank account (nothing crazy) but my sister wants to put a down payment on a house and wants me to join her, but now I'm realizing my craving to see the world and don't want to be forced to stay in NY due to a house. What do you guys think? and are there any suggestions as to places that are nice and humble? kind of cheap? good for a young guy that has read the book "The Alchemist" about 10 times haha.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated! thank you all!

• Like 1

Do an internet search. There are many articles about this.

Some suggestions include getting a job on a cruise ship or airline, joining volunteer organizations, transporting people's cars etc. Check out the UNESCO study abroad guide. Most of the sites advocate volunteering to work on an organic farm, called WOOFing.

Happy planning.

• Like 1

it sounds like maybe you haven't even traveled at all?? before deciding that traveling and living overseas is for you - you might want to take a few trips overseas first. you might find that your desire to live/work elsewhere could be handled through other means. like living elsewhere in the US, or just travelling to many places frequently as opposed to picking one. perhaps look for american companies that send their employees overseas, or look into organizations that allow volunteers, or look into being an english teacher. getting work will be very difficult for you unless you secure it from the US, so you need to have a chunky savings to get you through if you don't have a job already when you go. it won't be easy, and people have to pick up and travel from place to place as wandering travelers because visa expire and you can't just hang out in a country indefinitely. do you speak any languages? try to select a place where you know the culture and language because 'just going overseas' and hoping to fall in someplace will be hard. i'd start with giving yourself a graduation gift and going on a european tour that introduces you to many different places, and then you might find one that resonates with you, or not. but at least you'll see it first without uprooting your life.

• Like 1

Best way to travel abroad just after college - teach English in a foreign country for one year. Your housing is paid for so you will a roof over your head. You'll be paid weekly or bi-weekly dependent on the program that you go through, you'll be in an apt. building with other English teachers who will probably be from around the world, just like you, who you can befriend and rely on for support.

Some programs will require you to have an ESL certificate which you can take classes online for, and get the certificate in a matter of weeks. Some programs only require a BA in a subject and that you are a native English speaker. It all just depends on the country and the teaching exchange program that you choose.

Then you have the classes you teach, the students you teach to, who you can get to know and learn about their culture from. Time off to take weekend trips to explore the city where you'll live and in between the fall and spring semester, you'll have a break of time to take a longer trip to explore the country where you're teaching English, either by yourself of with some of the other English teachers that you'll meet.

Does your university have an international education department? Go there and ask them to tell you about teaching exchange programs. Which country do you want to explore? Italy? Spain? Portugal? France? Japan? China? Africa?

After I graduated with my B.A. in English, I went to China and taught English at a university for one year. It was a great year full of adventure that I"ll never forget and always be grateful for.

Teaching English abroad is a safe and inexpensive way to see another culture, and you'll get a paycheck and a year of memories to look back on. I highly recommend it!

Edited by writergal
  • Like 4
  • Author

awesome replies! thanks guys!

I've taken trips to italy, and fiji and loved them both!

I'd really like someplace new, maybe south america, china would work as well, I'm not picky..just looking for an awesome experience and see the world.

I'd love to check out the english teaching program, can you send me a site for where you found yours? That sounds incredible!

• Like 1
awesome replies! thanks guys!

I've taken trips to italy, and fiji and loved them both!

I'd really like someplace new, maybe south america, china would work as well, I'm not picky..just looking for an awesome experience and see the world.

I'd love to check out the english teaching program, can you send me a site for where you found yours? That sounds incredible!

Well, my year of teaching in China wasn't through a program. It was an open teaching position that my undergraduate English professor received an email about. So he recommended me to the Chinese university and my application was accepted. So I consider that to be one of life's happy accidents.

I created a teacher exchange program between my Alma Mater and the Chinese university *after* I returned, and mentored five students to teach there after the fact. And that was 20 years ago.

The people who kept the teaching exchange program going have all retired, both at the Chinese university and at my Alma Mater. I have no idea if that Chinese university takes exchange teachers anymore.

So if I were you, I'd focus on the resources available through your university if you can. I would highly recommend that you check with your university's international education department, where international teaching exchange programs are advertised.

Plus, the director of international education at your university can help you fill out your paperwork for a temporary teaching Visa, your passport and your traveler's health insurance.

Go abroad is a popular program for students to teach English abroad.

Get Paid to Teach English Abroad with a TEFL Certification from International TEFL Academy

NEA is a popular program for students to study abroad and teach abroad.

NEA - International Study and Overseas Teaching Resources

Alliance is another program for students to study and work abroad, not necessarily as a teacher. There are programs where you can go to Italy for the summer and be a camp counselor or go to Switzerland and be a camp counselor for the summer. These summer camps require you to teach English as a second language to the students and are quite competitive to get a teaching placement in.

Teacher Exchange | Alliance Exchange

There are literally hundreds of teacher exchange programs out there for you to choose from, based on what country you want to teach English abroad in and for how long; just the summer, one semester, or a full academic year. Also, do you want to teach English to elementary, primary, middle school, high school or college students? So you have to sit down and decide what country, what grade level, and the length of time you want to teach and live abroad. I think a year is best because that is enough time to immerse yourself in the country's language and culture.

Since you've already been to Italy, why not check out teacher exchange programs there. About this time they are hiring ESL teachers for their summer language camps. But there are also teacher exchange programs specific to Italy, which you just have to find through searching online, or going to your university's international education department as I've said already. Good luck. Teaching English abroad a great way to see and experience another culture!

• Like 2
  • Author

You are amazing!

Thanks for all the information and tips. I will get a move on it and will definitely keep you posted!

Sincerely, thank you!

• Like 2
You are amazing!

Thanks for all the information and tips. I will get a move on it and will definitely keep you posted!

Sincerely, thank you!

Excellent! Glad I could encourage you to pursue it. It's a much better, more structured and SAFE way to travel abroad right after college than just to take off on your own where too many things can go wrong.

You'll need these things to teach abroad:

-BA and/or ESL Certificate

-U.S. Passport

-Temporary Teaching Visa (1 year)

-Traveler's insurance (extends your insurance abroad)

-Signed doctor's notes for any medications you take that you will travel with

-List of the policies at the school where you'll be an exchange teacher, so that you know what your rights are there as a foreign visitor.

-living arrangements (should be paid for by the school that hosts your teaching exchange, do NOT accept teaching exchange positions that require you to live off campus b/c that can be sketchy).

-bank account (make sure that the bank you have has an international branch, otherwise you have to change banks based on the country you'll teach in for one year - I had to change banks and travel to Hong Kong every weekend to get money from my checking account b/c the city where I lived didn't have any U.S. banks).

-know where the hospitals are in the city you teach in.

-know where the on-campus medical center is.

I just remembered this: A friend of mine just retired from teaching English in Okinawa, Japan. It has an international school there if you want to experience Japan. Okinawa also has a U.S. army base on it so there will be plenty of Americans there to hang out with if you get homesick. Another friend of mine taught 5 summers at a language camp in Switzerland and it was really high up in the mountains but very beautiful. She ended up getting married there to her American fiance. The Italian summer language camps are located all over southern Italy I believe. But that would take some more research.

I'm glad you started this thread, I'm 25 and would really like to do some travelling as well that won't cost my husband and I an arm and a leg.

Not sure where you are or what the corresponding qualifications for English as a foreign language are but I recently took a TEFL course.

CELTA (the Cambridge one) is another one.

You should also look at BUNAC for working abroad jobs :) I did the summer camp thing going from here to the USA with them but it works in reverse and they can send you guys here too

Hostels are a good way to meet people!

And me and my flatmate have a little place to crash for anyone hoping to visit LDN :D

Southeast Asia is a very affordable region to travel around.

As for China, my bf is currently teaching at a high school (I'm visiting now). Both the foreign teachers only have a Bachelors, no ESL cert. Most people go through an agency to teach in China, though some agencies aren't good. My bf's agency bailed on him, now he is contracted to the school. The school arranges accommodation and food at the cafeteria is very cheap. Definitely do not pay any organization money to arrange a job for you, usually the school pays those agency. You can search for jobs on learn4good.com. You also have to decide on the location. If you want to hang out with more foreigners, big cities will be better. My bf is at a small county where the 2 foreign teachers are the only foreigners here.

Also, couchsurfing is an awesome site! I used it alot wherever I travel, and I've met travellers from all over the world there. It's great to surf someone's couch or just meet up with locals to bring you around.

Westernized cities in China, to teach in:

• Shanghai
  • Hong Kong
  • Beijing
  • Macao
  • Shenzhen
  • Shantou

In Portugal;

• Lisbon
  • Porto

There's the Czech Republic, Italy, Spain, Turkey to also consider teaching ESL in. I would go the ESL certificate route and find a school that will pay for your living arrangements on campus, vs. you having to find your own living accommodation.

I just found this link about the job markets for teaching ESL in 2015: 10 Hottest Job Markets for Teaching English Abroad in 2015

If you're determined to go overseas hooking up with some kind of volunteer organization would probably be the best way to do it cheaply, I think they take care of your accommodations and everything. But you could always do some traveling in the US as well. I'm doing a 5 day tour of the midwest in about a month to peek at a couple places I haven't seen before and it's pretty doable on a budget.

You'd be surprised at how different people and experiences can be in each different state. Even just going to the movies is unique in each place. Boston: Expensive, not that social. Philadelphia: Bulletproof glass at the ticket counter, they use a marker on the cash you give them to make sure it's real and a line of giant black guys for security, Florida: You get into conversations with just about everyone you run into, including the ticket and snack person.

SycamoreCircle

You say you're interested in traveling but then list conditions you require. Traveling is about ever-changing climates, landscapes, and people. So, are you talking about traveling or just moving somewhere else?

Some of my most favorite trips include:

Southeast Asia

Central America

Turkey

Peru

It sounds like you don't have much experience traveling. My advice is, since it's easy to make money in NYC and even easier to blow it, work and save up a nice sum. Consider traveling for several months or more in places in SE Asia, where the dollar will stretch. Use guidebooks such as Lonely Planet to find cheap hostels and eateries; at the same time soaking up sights and culture. Travel light. You really only need the bare essentials even for long trips.

I lived and traveled in SE Asia back in 2001 for almost a year on about 3K.

• Like 1
  • Author

I don't think my conditions for traveling was too much to ask for...

"I am looking for someplace humble, nice weather, good people, with the ocean nearby."

I can do without an ocean, but i love beaches and I understand weather comes and goes...just don't want to be in a place like seattle haha.

Thanks for your inpute, will definitely checkout SE Asia

For warm climates, amazing night life, spectacular food, wonderful people AND the opportunity to teach English as a second language, try these countries too:

• Brazil
  • Spain
  • Chile
  • Venezuela

• Like 1

Second SE Asia, very affordable. Consider doing some volunteer work as well as I think most here would find it incredibly rewarding and therapeutic at the same time. I just got back from doing some relief work in Cambodia and I loved it. Unfortunately when I got back my GF of 3 years broke up with me. Would have been really nice to go after the breakup.

• Like 1
  • Author

Brazil is probably number one on my list

but SE Asia seems to be the affordable place to go. Sorry to hear about the break up of 3 years, that's terrible. Maybe you need another trip to keep life in perspective?.

• Like 1
Brazil is probably number one on my list

but SE Asia seems to be the affordable place to go. Sorry to hear about the break up of 3 years, that's terrible. Maybe you need another trip to keep life in perspective?.

Thanks and it did suck big time. She was the one that encouraged me to go in the first place.

• Like 1

For those of us paying student loans and credit cards etc, is the pay to teach abroad enough to cover your expenses? I am not sure if I should quit work someday to do this or find a job that involves travel.

For those of us paying student loans and credit cards etc, is the pay to teach abroad enough to cover your expenses? I am not sure if I should quit work someday to do this or find a job that involves travel.

I have student loans. I repay them via income based after I had them consolidated. Call up the USDE via their 800 #, switch your loan repayment to income based (I think you have to submit a form with your ESL job too as proof of income change). Your student loan payments will be lowered to meet your income requirements. But you have to call and tell them your income level has dropped, and you'll probably need to submit your first paycheck too as proof of what you are paid. It's what I will do once I teach abroad again (and I plan to, at some point).

My next countries I visit will be Spain, Italy, and Portugal for sure. I would love to teach English in Spain or Italy or Portugal. And try the food of all three countries. Yum.

• Like 2
I have student loans. I repay them via income based after I had them consolidated. Call up the USDE via their 800 #, switch your loan repayment to income based (I think you have to submit a form with your ESL job too as proof of income change). Your student loan payments will be lowered to meet your income requirements. But you have to call and tell them your income level has dropped, and you'll probably need to submit your first paycheck too as proof of what you are paid. It's what I will do once I teach abroad again (and I plan to, at some point).

My next countries I visit will be Spain, Italy, and Portugal for sure. I would love to teach English in Spain or Italy or Portugal. And try the food of all three countries. Yum.

I actually did this recently and my loans went from $200 (25 yr plan) a month to $64 with IBR. Much better. My 10 year repayment plan would have been like $320. Definitely don't make that kind of money. :laugh:

• Like 1

I'm currently teaching English in Vietnam.

The southern half has awesome weather and beaches.

Let me give you an idea of how much things cost over here:

House: $200 a month

Beer: $0.50 - $2.00 per bottle

Restaurant: $0.75-$3.00 per meal (shrimp, crab, squid, whatever you want)

Maid: $50.00 month

Massage: $7.00 an hour

Motorbike: $300 - $800 to purchase a decent one

Gas: $3.00 a week

3G on your phone: $2.50 a month (unlimited data!)

Ocean view hotel room: $20.00 a night

What's great about Vietnam is you can live cheaply here and check out all of south-east Asia. Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippians it's all just a cheap flight away.

Anyways, my two cents. Life is good over here.

• Like 1